1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Huff to the O's?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Another Brother

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6317476

The Orioles, thwarted in earlier attempts to add a top slugger, are close to signing free agent Aubrey Huff to a three-year contract worth at least $18 million, FOXSports.com has learned.

Huff, who recently turned 30, will be the Orioles' second offensive addition of the off-season, joining free-agent outfielder Jay Payton. The Orioles plan to use Huff mostly in left field, but he also could get at-bats at first base and designated hitter.

The Orioles' outfield currently consists of Payton in left, Corey Patterson in center and Nick Markakis in right. The addition of Huff will give the team the flexibility to trade Patterson or designated hitter Jay Gibbons -- or stand pat and benefit from its increased depth.

While Huff isn't Alfonso Soriano or Carlos Lee -- both of whom were Orioles' targets this off-season -- his left-handed bat should be a good fit for their lineup, which ranked only 10th in the American League last season in runs scored.

Over the past five seasons, Huff has posted a higher on-base/slugging percentage than the A's Eric Chavez. With the Orioles, he figures to hit third between Melvin Mora and Miguel Tejada, both right-handed hitters, or fourth behind Tejada.

The Orioles attempted to trade for Braves first baseman Adam LaRoche, a younger, less expensive player, earlier this off-season. Huff is more familiar with the AL East, where he spent his entire career with the Devil Rays before getting traded to the Astros last season.

Huff batted .267 with 21 homers and 66 RBIs in 454 at-bats with the Devil Rays and Astros last season. He missed nearly a month early in the season with a left knee injury, but otherwise has been durable, averaging 158 games from 2003-05. He is one of only 10 major leaguers to produce 20 homers and 25 RBIs in each of the past five seasons.

Defense is not Huff's forte. He has spent most of his career at third base, but also has played first base, right and left. He has made only eight career appearances in left, seven starts.

2. Major

Major Member

3 yr / $18MM? That's a steal in this market. The Astros must really believe Ensberg is the future 3B for this team. To me, it's disappointing if we could have signed him for $6MM a year.

On another note, this is a bit odd:

<I>He is one of only 10 major leaguers to produce 20 homers and 25 RBIs in each of the past five seasons.</I>

25 RBI's? I can't imagine that's accurate, but if it were, are there any players that had 20 HRs but NOT 25 RBIs??

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I really liked Huff. I think a second year in the NL would have helped me a lot. Good value for the O's.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

good huff was useless anyways

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yea i really think another year here would have brought him back up to his previous career averages. We're losing out big time.. but I assume this means the trade market is just WAY down on Ensberg. Otherwise, I think they'd take 6 mil for Huff and trade Morgan for something decent.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I think it's supposed to be 20 HR's and 25 Doubles. Brainfart on their part.

7. Major

Major Member

Makes sense. I was thinking maybe they meant 75 RBIs or something, but the doubles idea didn't cross my mind.

What's most disappointing about this is that this is the kind of talent we should be collecting. It's virtually risk free. If Ensberg does well, you can always trade Huff for a reliever or something because it's a such a great contract. If Ensberg doesn't do well, you've got a great backup plan (also if Luke Scott sucks or if there's an injury).

I'd rather be signing 3 Huff-type players than a Carlos Lee.

8. BigM

BigM Member

wow six million a year definitely is a steal this offseason. surprised the stros didn't pursue that.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good deal for the O's. The Astros must trust Ensberg or just can't trade him without absorbing cost.

On another note, Lee has 25 2bs and 20 hrs for 7 years.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Ensberg, ugh.

11. Nick

Nick Member

Huff is younger than Ensberg... and will make only 1 million more.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

i guess they went with Ensberg because he has the potential to hit 35-40 homers. If he can turn into the 05 Ensberg to go along with Lee and Berkman then this offense should be very nice. Still hate the fact we got 3 automatic outs in the lineup Everett, Ausmus, and the pitcher.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yea, but if there's zero market for Ensberg...do you sign Huff for that and trade Ensberg for 30 cents on the dollar?

14. Nick

Nick Member

Sure... its not like signing Huff at that amount will hurt this club financially. Ensberg made 4.6 million last year... he'll get at least that much in arbitration (and possibly more, due to his 20+ HR's, and decent OBP).

Ensberg is an enigma. Huff is consistent. I'd rather have 3 years of consistent Huff, instead of on-again/off-again Ensberg. (even if his numbers are fantastic if he's on).

15. texanskan

texanskan Member

nick, that is what I have been saying all along.

I sure hope it works out but I will not be surprised if Lamb is spliting time with Ensberg by June

16. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

WERD

ugh!

17. xiki

xiki Member

Have the (Uncle Drayton) Astros ever 'mid-summer' traded for an expiring contract and then signed the guy in the offseason?

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Well they would have signed Beltran if he decided to stay here.

20. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

you guys are too concerned about filling every "hole" on our team THIS offseason.

i, for one, have been critical of drayton for the most part in the past, but i love our offseason so far, and, i have come to grips with the fact that this year is going to be a brief rebuilding year, and anything beyond that is bonus to me. we will be immediate contenders, and one of the best teams in the league, as soon as we are rid of the sad sacks that are craig biggio and brad ausmus at seasons end (fingers crossed).

huff is a decent player, nothing more, nothing less. there is no need to wrap him up for 3 years...he's not good enough. if ensberg doesnt improve this year, then 3rd base is a position we can address next offseason, or get a temporary solution next season, and address it in future offseasons. i dont like the fact that we lost zobrist for a couple months of huff, but i also was in favor of the acquisition at the time.

nothing we have done this offseason has been out of desperation, and hopefully we keep it that way. without roger and pettitte, there is no longer the pressure to win the world series THIS year, and not only is that a relief of sorts, but it can also be beneficial.

we've added 2 huge pieces in Lee and Jennings, and if that's it for this offseason, i'm beyond satisfied. biggio and ausmus will be gone next year, and more pieces will be added then. we have a really bright future, and will be quite a fun team to watch for the next few years.