1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad Owners Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah, I've had a few times where I've had to restart the wireless on the tablet as well.

Does anyone have the official case? Any opinions on it?

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I have the official case. It's very stable when using it to prop up the tablet and I like the different angles it holds at. I have nothing to really compare it to other than the Targus iPad2 case.

Only complaints I would have is that there's nothing to hold the cover over the screen, and the soft rubber seemed to attract lint. Both minor issues to me.

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Best deal ever. Best 100 dollars I ever spent.

Got mine yesterday in a preorder from local store. Did everything this thread says and now I can't be happier.

Will definitely get one or two more if HP releases more in a few weeks. Damn, this machine is awesome for $100.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Mailed off the 2nd one I bought to a friend. Would have kept one of those suckers if I didn't have the xoom. (only paid $252 after taxes for the XOOM).

Played around with the hp I bought my gf. Nice UI, although I would rather have the android market on it. Hoping the Honeycomb for it comes out soon.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you can find the case, it's great. And CHEAP. Stores are selling the cases for under $20, and Docking stations under $40.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The HP case looks great if you can find one on sale is a great deal. I went a different route, buying the Technocell leather folio case designed for the iPad. You can get it for $15 from Amazon and less than $10 from Verizon. I found out about it from the webOS forum:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-accessories/294574-verizon-ipad-folio-case-technocel-mini-review-photos.html

I ordered it via the Verizon web site and got free shipping. Other folks are going into the store and having it shipped to their homes. Not perfect (I expect to rebend the corner clips using a blow dryer to tighten the fit). But for less than $10 its a great deal and in line with the deal on the tablet.

Down the road I may switch to a skin and get a stand to hold the tablet on the desk. But for now the cheap folio/stand will suffice.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I know it is a different machine, but I was having wifi issues with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1. I found a setting in the setting screen that was causing the wifi to essentially shut off when the galaxy went to sleep. I changed it and it hasn't lost wifi since. The default setting saves battery life.

Just a thought.

8. NewRoxFan

Sorry to quote myself, but I just found out that Verizon is now selling the technocel folio fir $4.97 with free shipping. The folio originally sold for $40. Screaming deal.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

10. NewRoxFan

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

finally gave my parents their touchpad... Did the tweaks with preware... Works great... Very happy... Posting from it now :) rep all around

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

so, i opened my touchpad last night, set it up with all the recommended patches, then i went the extra step and did the overclocking.

now my monitor is shutting off and freezing and i'm having to repeatedly reboot the thing.

any suggestions? is it too late to reverse the overclocking adjustments? or is that likely not the problem?

help appreciated.

13. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

which kernel did you use?

if it wasn't uberkernel to 1.5, you are using a testing kernel which is not a stable release.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

F15C Eagle Kernel freaked me the hell out, because it made me think I bricked my TouchPad.
    Thankfully, it works well now. 1.9GHz is BLAZING fast.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What is the best screen protector? Anyone who reads the forums care to tell me so I don't have to search?

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I thought there was something called webos doctor or pre doctor or something along those lines that might help with restoring.

I believe as it stands currently Honeycomb is not open source. Whatever Android we get will be 2.3

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

WebOS is a far supperior OS to Android by virtually all accounts. The only real advantage that Android has is a much larger app store. Maybe the reason you call the OS "disappointing" is because of it's simplicity. At first, it doesn't seem like much until you realize that's the whole point ...simplicity.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

nobody else having problems with the monitor repeatedly shutting off when left alone for a while, the button light blinking/flickering, and having to force a reboot??

20. Nero

Nero Member

I had that once. Had to hold down the power button and the menu button together for about 15 seconds and then it restarted, and no problems like that since.