1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad Owners Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 21, 2011.

1. SunsRocketsfan

Got mine in today. Definitely a notch below the ipad2 but it does handle notifications and multitasking better and it has flash although it's a bit slow. The overall ease and pleasure of use is way below the ipad2 tho but hey for a Benjamin it's a great deal.

2. cod

cod Member

Try using a different micro USB cable? Maybe your FIL wrecked it in some way?

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Where can I buy one online?

PLEEEASSSSE!!

4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Got my best buy order last night and my thoughts exactly. Even after installing all the performance patches, it just doesn't work as smooth. Keyboard entry bugs me the most, because it doesn't keep up with my typing.

For the price though, no complaints. Anyone try overclocking to see if it makes a noticable difference?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It seems like the HP is akin to the Gizmondo, just a decent product that is not very well executed.

DD

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Mine arrived yesterday, and even though I would have never bought it at full or even half price (why another tablet? why another tablet OS when Apple, Android, and eventually Microsoft will dominate?). But for $100 and as a "couch" device, it was a no brainer.

Based on limited use:
    Pros:
    • Very nice display and sound
    • Feels well-made, even though though its plastic and a fingerprint magnet
    • The few apps available are the ones I would use most of the time (browser, email, music, movies).
    • I am not into games, but the few I play are there (except Plants vs Zombies)

Cons:
    • Probably the combination of discontinued and firesale, but the OS update process (and QuickOffice and Acrobat updates) were painfully slow and frustrating
    • Mediocre camera up front (I know others complain that there isn't a rear camera, but don't really see the tablet as a camera). A better camera would improve the videocall experience.
    • Would like a more vibrant app ecosystem, since I know I will miss out on some useful apps in the future. Eg I'd sure like webex.
    • The supply/demand thing making accessory shopping difficult, but all I really need is a case, maybe skins, and a screen protector. The keyboard and charging stand are nice-to-haves.
    • Yes, its a bit slow, but I worry less about speed in a tablet than I do for a laptop. And there are ways to speed it up.

All in all, at its price it satisfies my tablet itch and holds off any iPad or better ASUS Transformer purchase until they come down in price. And who knows, by then I may use Android on the TouchPad anyway.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I overclocked my tablet and its satisfactory.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

did you turn off ALL logging?

and yes, installing uberkernel and overclocking to 1.5 made it even snappier.

and on top of that, word is that another OTA update is headed this way that is supposed to improve things even more. I half expect it to be a yawner, considering HP sucks, but I remain hopeful.

9. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

any feedback from anyone who has bought any cases for their touchpad?

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

This post is kind of long so I spoilered it. It just describes what I went through to finally get my touchpad to work.

As some of you know, I got my first Touchpad last Thursday, and right out of the box it had problems. It wouldn't find any wifi networks, it wouldn't let me press cancel or start over, and when I manually typed in my wifi network it told me no such network exists, or association failed. After 1 1/2 hours with tech support that night, it was time for their call center to close and she bumped me up to level 2. The level 2 guy called me the next night and after almost an hour on the phone with him, still no luck. He then rushed me off the phone because it was closing time with my touchpad stuck in USB mode (Starting the device holding power and volume up buttons) and I was afraid to try to reset it, so I left it alone til the battery died. The last thing he said was "I'll research it over the weekend and call you back on Monday, thank you, have a good night."

I got 2 more touchapds in the mail Saturday morning. They were both for friends of mine. I gave 1 to my buddy and tried the other one. This one worked right away, and I was happy to finally get a working Touchpad. However, for some reason after I did my first full charge after playing around with the Touchpad, it started doing the same thing as the 1st one. It wouldn't find any wifi networks, and wouldn't connect manually. At this point I am really upset and I'm trying not to have a bad impression of webOS. I decided to wait to see if the tech support guy would call me back on Monday before I tried anything else.

Of course I did not hear from him yesterday, so I took it upon myself to try to fix it. After some research I found out that the webOS doctor could update my software and would likely fix my wifi problem. I installed webOS doctor, and it only took about 10 minutes total from start to finish, and now my Touchpad finally works. I have only tried it out on my 2nd tablet. The first one is still dead and needs to be charged before I try the webOS doctor on it. I just can't believe all the time I spent with tech support, and all the frustration, when all I had to do was install the webOS doctor. I installed preware, some patches, and I'm gonna overclock it when I get home today. I'm so relieved that it works and I can finally see what this thing can do.

Any homebrew apps I should check out? :grin:

11. superfob

I don't think you can turn off "ALL" logging just set to minimal. I followed all the instructions listed here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

Have not tried to OC due to warranty issues, and ultimately this will be for my parents. Everything else seems to run smooth enough (cards, apps). Only things that bug me are the slow boot time, and when entering text quickly, few keys hit do not register.

12. cod

cod Member

Did you do this as well?

http://tabletconnect.blogspot.com/2011/08/things-to-do-with-your-new-touchpad.html

13. Nero

Nero Member

This is the weirdest thing. It literally fails to find it. It is just not there. Are you saying that you did a search from within the HP Market app on the touchpad itself and found that program there? What was the exact search method you used?

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I admit I don't know for sure if those steps turn off ALL logging, but its close enough. ;)

see cod's post

Nero,

I did indeed, official app catalog, searched for Camera for Touchpad in the search box. Came right up. When was the last time you ran Software Manager? There was an update for the app catalog a few days back, maybe that's the problem.

15. superfob

Yeah I installed EOM Overlord, what that does if I remember correctly is turn off sending logs to HP, doesn't disable error logging.

Didn't bring my Touchpad to work, but maybe I'll just capture a video of what I'm talking about the nonresponse of some keys when typing quickly. Frankly I'm surprised no one else is having this issue.

16. NewRoxFan

Update:

I am noticing two potential problems. First, the display is showing what I believe is referred as "bleed". On the left side, when the TP is in the upright position, you can see five distinct sources of light. It gets more discernible as you continue to use the TP. When the TP is showing the wallpaper its hardly noticeable, but with a white background app like Word, the mail program, or browser it is pretty noticeable, bordering on annoying. Seems *increasing* the brightness makes it less noticeable, as does turning off auto-dim.

Sounds like bleed is a fairly common prob, and folks that sent theirs in rec'd refurbs that often had the same prob.

The second problem... the thing seems to chew up battery a lot faster than I would expected. I used it a lot yesterday (set up, downloading some free apps, email and browsing) as you might expect with a new device. I charged it overnight, and it seemed to go through 75% of the charge during the day.

I think the batteries tend to last a bit longer after a bit of use. And I have made a few setting changes to try to extend life (eg I reduced brightness... but see above). I am used to charging my phone daily (4G LTE T-Bolt... its a battery vampire), but it seems that my wife's iPad hangs onto its charge for significantly longer.

Both minor issues and since I don't want to risk getting a replacement that has the same issues anyway... but this may temper some folks obsession to buy the device if the tablet has inherent problems (and instead consider more stable platform). I am still happy with it at $99, but I would have been more than annoyed if I bought this at full price and had these same issues.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I wish I would have gotten one for $100 bones...

18. SunsRocketsfan

for the battery issue you probably have a ton of stuff running in the background. That is the problem with true multitasking and why apple wants to avoid it. Just click your little button and make sure your close stuff in the background. It can drecrease your battery like crazy if u leave stuff running in the background.

19. NewRoxFan

Played with the TP a bit more, and I can strongly recommend this tip for improving performance:

The first thing a new TouchPad owner should do is open the Phone and Video Calls app in the Apps tab on the launcher screen. Once in the app select the DialPad tab and enter the following in the dialer like you would on a phone:
    1.##LOGS# (##5647#)
    2.Hit the green Dial button.
    3.On the subsequent Collect Logs screen, select Change Logging Levels
    4.Hit the Set Logging To Minimal and confirm

The article linked below has more details and a screen shot to make it easy. The TP is much faster (eg try opening the browser).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/how-to-improve-the-performance-of-your-new-hp-touchpad/3866

20. superfob

Well, I have to eat my words now. For whatever reason, when I got home to video the keyboard lag... there is none now. In fact everything seems to be a little faster from loading apps to swapping applications. I haven't rebooted or done any more tweaks since then.

Anyways, I'm extremely impressed. I did run into the wifi problem (not finding mine listed) others have mentioned, but a reboot of the device seems to fix it.