1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad Owners Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 21, 2011.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

install CM9... mine has been pretty much flawless since I made the jump.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed. Look to either Rootzwiki or one of the other developer sites like XDA for more info and the links you will need. I switched to TWRP and Goo manager to automate my backups and to download ROMs. Again, the sites I suggested above will provide you all the info, links and how to instructions you'll need.

Btw, seems most problems happen when you don't wipe data, cache and dalvic before and after flashing the ROM. The easy thing with TWRP is it does it all for you. Even asks if you want to create a backup. And it is touch-based, so very easy to use.

#322 NewRoxFan, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I know. I had it dual booted before. I just found the battery dies a lot faster on android. Also I have the Google Nexus tablet and that thing is nice. But going back to the Touchpad, It really is a great tablet.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

stupid question..how do i add apps like gmail etc to my touchpad?

5. NewRoxFan

Gmail is one of the Google apps. After you flash the ROM you flash the Google apps (aka GAPPs). If you use goo.manager you can download and flash the latest GAPPs.

That's also where you will get the Play Store.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

awesome. i was able to download gapps and get into the play store to get more apps.

before i go crazy adding apps, what happens when a new nightly build comes out...will i lose everything?

7. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

posting on my touchpad. Glad this got bumped. Gonna install cm9 tomorrow. Will update. Facebook

8. NewRoxFan

Nope... when (if) you flash a new nightly, all your apps are brought over with Play Store. btw, if you download Titanium backup you can always make a backup of all your stuff, and then restore in a batch process.

btw, one of the Google apps is called Currents (magazine/newspaper app). And a great way to extend battery life is a free app called RootDim (enables you to lower screen brightness well below what you can do stock). Have fun.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

You guys should sell your Touchpads and use the funds to get a Nexus 7 for cheap. Smaller screen, but the best of everything else the hacked touchpad offers.

10. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

This. Nexus 7 is sweeeeeeeet!!!!

11. NewRoxFan

I bought the TouchPad for $99. At this point I doubt people would pay that amount for a used one, especially given the products future. A new Nexus is $199.

I think I will keep the TP. Does all I need and if/when it dies I will look at the Nexus 7 follow ups.

12. gah

gah Member

The only serious complain I have is the weight, what else does the Nexus has over the TP?

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Kindle Fire HD = WHAT?!?!?!

14. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

It seems to be working fine now after I rebooted it.

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I wish, but I can never give up screen real estate. That extra 3 inches is worth putting up even with cracked speakers and a buggy OS.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

WebOS is pretty nice, but since CM9 nightlies, I haven't had a single issue on my touchpad. I resisted for very long, shouldnt have.

17. Coach AI

There's still a market. Do you have any accessories? I put my TP up on ebay with case and charging dock. I got 180 for it. just the TP and case are currently going for around 110-130.

18. NewRoxFan

Wow... that would mean I would make a profit off of a tablet that has been discontinued and that I have owned for over a year. I have the 16Gb version... they are going for $110-130?

btw, I have the Acase case, the TouchStone, the HP BT keyboard, and a Armorshield screen protector.

Not particularly interested in selling at this point... I do like the Nexus7 (especially its weight, the rubber texture back, and JellyBean) but like most technology I'd be curious how it goes in 1st gen and what the 2nd gen machines might add (eg, second camera, slightly larger screen)?

19. Coach AI

Yup. With those accessories you'd probably get in the 150-200 range.

20. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Ok, tried to install cm9 Alpha 2 on my vanilla WebOS. CM9 does a continuous reboot, WebOS does still work so all is not lost, but I cant understand what I did wrong, I followed some youtube instructions on how to do it.
    I dl Novacom, it created the Palm Inc, folder on my c dir. dl AMCEInstaller 3, MoBoot 0.3.5, Clockwork Mod, Gapps 20120429, adn the CM9 os thingy.
    Created a folderer on the touchpad called "cminstall" on the touchpad. Then dos mode on pc, ran the novacom exe.
    The Touchpad then should the double linux symbols, and seemed to work. It went to the "choose the os" screen, picked cm9, shows the logo, but never loads and goes back to the "choose the os" screen.

Am I suppose to start with cm9 aplha 0 and upgrade?
    Do I use AMCEInstaller 2?

I looked on my touchpad now in the folders and all it shows in the cminstall folder is the gapps zip folder. The youtube video I watched told me not to unzip I believe.

Sucks to be this close and have something not work.
    Any help would be badass and rep'able.