1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad Owners Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 21, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Once a finished version of ICS comes out, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. In the meantime, WebOS does everything I want/need it to do. Next thing I want to attempt is tethering my Android to it. Probably going to have to root it in addition to upgrading to ICS to do that though.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I need it to play Cut the Rope.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

FYI,

Depending on what you call a "finished version," it might be a while. For example, I believe they've hit some major roadblocks with the TouchPad camera, and it doesn't sound like they'll fix that anytime soon. I could see a lot of other issues being fixed/polished soon though. Even as is, the CM7 build works really well for most things, and the CM9 build isn't really that far from that (primarily need to fix Netflix/Youtube HD and maybe a few other minor things to get it to "match" CM7 IMO).

4. RC Cola

Alpha 0.5 released:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releasealpha05-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/ (same link as earlier actually)

Some minor improvements:
    The links in my quote don't work since I did a straight copy of the text, and I'm too lazy to fix them. Check out the thread if you want to see the links.

1 person likes this.
  5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Repped for using Rootzwiki instead of XDA (ughhh)

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not giving up the ability to play webcasts in a hidden card while surfing on other browser cards.

Not sure if ICS can do that, but I'll let my phone be the guinea pig for now.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, the question I have is this: Since they now seem to be going hot and heavy working on CM9, does that mean that work is no longer being done on CM7? I put CM7 on the Touchpad a few weeks back (it was surprisingly easy), but while it works really well, there ARE still some areas where it is clearly still an alpha build, some apps don't work, or don't work properly, just some general wonkyness that reminds me that I am still using a very early build of an OS.

I am all for CM9 whenever it becomes something actually useable instead of just being a sort of novelty item, but I would really also like to know that there are going to be continuing efforts on CM7 as well.

Has anyone read any comments or statements on this?

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I would imagine they stopped working with CM7. If you want updates though, I'd look at other CM7-based ROMs like XRON.

9. Scionxa

A lot of CM7 development has been halted ever since the release of the ICS source code. Even nightlies for a lot of officially supported CM devices have stopped.

Here's the github for the HP Tenderloin (Touchpad)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_hp_tenderloin

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The camera thing really is a bummer. I hate not being able to Skype with my TouchPad.

11. RC Cola

It has already been touched on some, but I would not expect a lot of progress on the CM7 build. Maybe some minor fixes for it, which also fix CM9 issues.

One of the CM devs (either "the" dev or the main dev for the TouchPad port I think? not sure who works on what...) said this a few weeks ago:
    http://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin/status/153996496910557186
    BTW, I'd recommend following his Twitter page if you want updates on the TouchPad Android port. He generally is pretty good about answering questions, saying what works/doesn't work, some progress updates, etc.

12. Scionxa

Look out for AOKP (ICS Based) in the upcoming future :)
    You guys are going to love "Rom Control " :cool:

13. Scionxa

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just installed it. Works pretty good

15. Scionxa

It's the first release so there's gonna be some bugs to squash.

Go ahead and mount your system as read/write, and delete wallet.apk from system/app
    Touchpad has no NFC so there's no need for it, it'll just keep force closing.

Reason it's on there is from Kejar31's Janauary 13th GAPPS. Which is pretty much for the Toro/Maguro/Crespo/Crespo4g. (LTE Nexus, GSM Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus S4G)

Team Kang is pretty good with feedback so be sure to report bugs here

http://code.google.com/p/aokp/issues/list

16. RC Cola

Good new for future Android development on the TouchPad (especially in getting some of those big issues fixed/improved):
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17563-the-other-touchpad-kernel-source-from-hp-android-dump/

17. gah

gah Member

This plus adding Chrome and I almost can't wait to get CM9 as intended.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome, I'm pretty psyched about this.

19. RC Cola

Meant to post this earlier, but the main CM dev for the TouchPad didn't really sound all that optimistic about the earlier news I posted:
    http://twitter.com/dalingrin (most of his recent tweets are talking about the code release)

Sounds like it might have been a big help earlier on, but probably not that big of a deal now. Probably could help with some things, but don't expect major improvements. No camera help apparently. :(

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's good to have a framework to rely on though. Kind of like having the answer key to a test to double-check.