1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad Owners Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 21, 2011.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have been really lucky with my TouchPad. I haven't had any issues, seems plenty fast since I went to minimal logging, and I have liked the apps I have gotten for free and the few I have purchased. I also have the bluetooth keyboard and the Touchstone.

The recent update seems to help the browser performance. Don't forget to re-set logging to minimal. My biggest gripe is how Auto Correct has gone crazy since the update. I will turn it off soon.

I agree on Splashtop... easily sets up a remote with my laptop and opens up the TP to all my Windows apps. I also like Spaz and hope that Communities gets offered as a freebie soon.

2. Nero

Nero Member

(posting this in both of the Touchpad threads..)

Ok well, if you have been wanting one of these Touchpads, today might be your day.

TigerDirect.com has them TODAY, (11/4/11), in a bundle. The sale begins at 1:30pm Houston time, and they expect them to all be gone in 5 minutes or so.

Here is the link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/hp/touchpad_available.asp

Now this bundle is $279, and it includes the 32GB Touchpad, a Belkin case, a Belkin stand, a Creative D80 Bluetooth speaker, and a 16GB USB flash drive.

All in all, if you bought all those accessories on Amazon separately, you would spend MAYBE $100 - $120. So this deal barely qualifies as a 'bundle', in my opinion.. BUT, you end up with the 32GB Touchpad, and at least I know the Bluetooth speaker and the 16GB flash drive would get a lot of use, at least from me. And the blade-stand thingy gets good reviews on Amazon too, so it's not a BAD bundle deal, for sure. Definitely better than having to buy a whole HP computer just for the privilege of being able to buy a fire-sale 32GB Touchpad.. lol

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along.

Having said all that, I know as well as everybody else that the only real future of this particular piece of hardware is as a combo WebOS/Android tablet, so if you are just thinking 'Hey, a 32GB 10" Android tablet for @$300, then you might also want to turn your eyes to today's Fry's ad, as they are selling the Lenovo 32GB Ideapad K1 for $319.

Just fyi.

If you decide to go for the TigerDirect sale, I hope you get one. :)

3. The Boz

The Boz Member

Has anyone here put andriod on thier touchpad yet? If so, hows it working out for you?

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I've switched to it as soon as it was available, and haven't booted into WebOS since. No regrets at all, although Flash performance seems worse. I'm still on Alpha 1, so I have a few bugs (Sleep of Death or whatever), but doesn't bother me. Much better app selection (compared to WebOS...or even what I have on my BlackBerry phone) has definitely made me happy. Using Dolphin HD, Google Music, Google+, etc.

Alpha 3/4 should be good, although definitely looking forward to seeing ICS on it (or at least the possibility, but seems pretty likely).

5. RC Cola

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that when I made my last post, Alpha 3 just was released:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10121-releasealpha3cyanogenmod-touchpad/

I happened to check out the project earlier today, and noticed dalingrin moved a lot of Alpha 3 issues over to Alpha 4 (and all remaining Alpha 3 issues seemed completed/fixed). I was thinking that might have been a good sign that Alpha 3 would release soon...but I didn't guess this soon. Perfect timing. I was about to head to my parent's house for Thanksgiving, and I was planning on installing Android on their TouchPad.

Sadly, some of the bugs I cared about since Alpha 1 still aren't fixed it seems. Here's to Alpha 4!

Or ICS. Whatever comes first.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Never switching back to WebOS. It's more sluggish and buggy, but android really opened it up with alot more apps.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I have CM7 but I still use WebOS much more often. The email client is light years better than anything on Android, I can actually play flash videos at normal frame rates, Cisco VPN works, I have the uber-excellent SplashTop remote, and it is more silky smooth (especially with a couple of patches applied). It just seems that for majority of the stuff I need my tablet for, WebOS gives a more pleasant experience.

Plus, multitasking is so clunky on Android compared to WebOS, especially on a tablet. One major reason why I am looking forward to ICS.

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm the opposite then. My strikes against WebOS:
    -Lack of subtitle support in Kalemsoft
    -Splashtop straight up freezes while it works perfectly in CM7 (can't figure out what the problem was)
    -No Netflix
    -No ad-hoc network - big strike since I take my tablet everywhere and like to tether it to my phone for internet access (there's a way but it's too convoluted)
    -The native browser is not Opera Mobile.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

CM9 ICS almost here for HP Touchpad.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-UX0LHg2QlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. JeopardE

Can't hardly wait. Gingerbread just isn't a tablet OS, and that's one reason why I keep going back to WebOS (two other reasons being the utter superiority of WebOS's email client and the camera which doesn't work in Android, for me at least).

That looks really slick and nice-looking, too.

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I've been using WebOs 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 and it's pretty good. Almost exactly like the Blackberry OS on their Playbook with their incorporation of the swiping up. I mean I can live without ICS with this version but hopefully we don't have to wait forever. Limited Apps is the main problem with WebOs right now.

12. JeopardE

Actually RIM were the ones who blatantly ripped off webOS for their QNX concept. WebOS was introduced in 2009 and was running on phones long before RIM figured out that they needed to find a replacement for their horribly dated BlackBerry OS.

I agree, lack of apps is the big problem on webOS, otherwise there wouldn't be much use for Android on the TouchPad. Even with Gingerbread it still sucks trying to use obvious smartphone apps on a tablet screen ... Gmail just looks weird, for example. ICS should fix that and make the TouchPad that much more valuable.

13. RC Cola

Alpha0 of ICS (CM9) released:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releasealpha0-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/ (getting hit hard right now it seems, so might be up and down)
    I'll probably give it a shot later in the week. Sounds like a lot of stuff isn't working though (e.g., Netflix/Youtube), and might be more unstable than the CM7 builds. Still, good stuff.

1 person likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finally!

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sweet. I'll wait for a more stable release. Not being able to use video services eliminates much of the point of a tablet for me.

16. gah

gah Member

I haven't even Installed CM7 because of how comfortable I am with WebOs, but ICS is what I've been waiting all along, I don't care if I have to wait another month to get the real deal. Oh and I am proud to admit I'm one of the suckers who overpaid for one in e-bay, it was worth every penny.

17. RC Cola

Decided to install it tonight instead of waiting.

One thing I want to note is that I was slightly wrong about what I said for Netflix/Youtube. I think Netflix does in fact not work, but only watching HD videos on Youtube appears to be a problem. I've been watching some KhanAcademy videos lately, and it seems I can still play them as long as I turn off HD.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is it impossible to go back if you install this? I really want to try.

19. RC Cola

If you follow the instructions, you always have an option to boot into WebOS or CM7/CM9 (probably someway to uninstall CM7/CM9 if you really want, though I haven't bothered to look into it...probably some option in CWM). You can backup CM7 I think, and even possibly triple boot between the 3, although I don't think there are any instructions for the latter yet.

20. JeopardE

In Preware, under Linux apps, there is a script you can install that will delete your Android installation if you wanted to.

If you simply want the option of going back to CM7, all you should need to do is perform a nandroid backup from ClockworkMod recovery, before you install ICS. That way you can just do a full wipe and restore from backup later.