1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad $90

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I loved my Palm pre, now its time to check out the tablet!!

2. trickywhiteguy

Sorry to ask what maybe a dumb question but... So with these tablets what the the major con to the device? Will apps still be available for the tablet?

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

HP pulling out of the market, nothing wrong with the tablets. I wanted one when they first came out, but didn't like the $600 price tag. And webOS is probably the most user friendly platform out there.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Apps are limited on WebOS. WebOS doesn't have quite as many apps as iOS and Android. They may or may not get more developers with this fire sale of TouchPads.

The biggest con that has been noted by people that reviewed it include lack of connectors (no HDMI, no full usb, no micro-sd card slot) and the limited number of apps. There are other things that people have noted such as bulkiness compared to other tablets and weight.

Here is a nice review of it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/hp-touchpad-review/

If you're wondering if it's worth the price drop, IMO it most certainly is. You can make it out to be a nice house gadget at worst. It can be a nice travel gadget as well to watch movies, surf the net, etc.

5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like I should have waited this out. I saw on for $190 including shipping this morning on ebay and jumped all over it. Now I just ordered one for $99 from amazon.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I was a firm believer that tablets aren't for me... I guess I still am... but at 20-25% of the original price, with hardware equally as good as the iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab... it's just too amazing pass.

Plus it's highly likely that an android port will be developed, so unless webOS blows me away, I'll port android on this sucker and have an android tablet at a fraction of the price of the competition.

7. trickywhiteguy

Thanks, actually this morning I was going to get one but couldn't find any. While I was looking around a friend decided they didn't like their Acer tablet which runs Android so they gave it to me... Now my mother in law is looking into this so as many of yall know its best to know what your talking about when advising and in-law! lol

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

OnSale seems to be out of stock now. Let's hope they don't cancel the orders :(

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Ordered mine like 5 minutes ago when it was in stock. I haven't got my confirmation yet though.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

I ordered mine about an hour ago, got the confirmation and shipping status says "Shipping Soon; Delivery Estimate: August 25th - August 30th"

If this comes through, I will be ecstatic.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Mine says that as well when I look at my order information on Amazon. So we will see if it goes through. Wonder what the Cost Cental situation is...wonder if i should order a 16 GB one as well lol Just in case.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

From what people have been saying...

MacMall
    PCMall
    ECost
    CostCentral
    OnSale

are all part of one company so the stock is the same for all of those.

13. Convictedstupid

CostCentral's page is super slow. Barely got it to load, clicked 'add to cart' and it hasn't gone through yet.

^^^
    I hope that's wrong and they still have some lol.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

as long as you accept what it doesnt do and enjoy what it does, you will like the Touchpad.
    I use my EVO4G as a mobile access point, and carry it with me.

It works great as a mobile internet device, plenty of room for music(the speakers are the best on a tablet, don't forget to install the volume tweak from preware) and videos look great on it. Basically, if you can do it on the internet, the TP will handle it.

as of last word, there is still app support from the top webOS homebrew developers, so there will continue to be apps released. HP is abandoning dealing with the hardware, they claim the software side is still running(for now). There is still hope that webOS will get bought by someone else who can use it on their devices, it really is the best mobile OS, surely that counts for something with the manufacturers wanting to gain some of apple's marketplace.

I'll stick with it till it is formally dead, if that happens, I'll load droid on it if that project succeeds.

15. The83rdWonder

The83rdWonder Member

https://twitter.com/#!/BrynaAtHP

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

17. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get how they came out with a device that does not have a full USB. That sucks. How do we transfer files then? I'm assuming there is a sync connection? I guess it would be a hassle transferring single files back and forth.

18. The83rdWonder

The83rdWonder Member

19. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I was told that HP will liscense the webOs. Will eventually stop producing laptops and desktops soon.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They are completely pulling out of PC and Tablet sales, yes.
    I liked HP. :(