1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard: "talked to Hakeem Olajuwon, he inspired me"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, May 24, 2010.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I totally agree... But Dream was also taught.. As backntheDay stated Dream was raw, but he worked hard on the off season to tone his game up with Moses and the Big Man camp.

Today's big men don't put in that work or effort to improve their game... When you look at a guys such as Kobe as good as he is, he's always looking to get better.. Dream was the same way, never satisfied, hungry to improve on his weakness.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

No he won't. The dude is still young and can still learn a lot. You can't teach size and that isn't going to go away anytime soon.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't forget Whiteside.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. While I don't know how much time he spends in Jordan compared to the States, it's the majority of his time (unless that has changed). People forget that Dream is a very wealthy man. He owns extensive real estate in Houston, and probably elsewhere. He's a very astute, highly intelligent businessman, besides the greatest retired basketball player on the planet. There's no way he'd want a coaching job if one were offered, and I'd be surprised if an assistant's job hasn't been floated by him in the past. The guy loves the game. He works with these players, when it fits his schedule, simply from the pure enjoyment he gets from doing it, along with the satisfaction that he is passing on some of the knowledge others were kind enough to pass on to him. That, and he has a few wrinkles of his own to pass along. ;)

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You guys are crazy if you think DH will fall off dramatically. First, he's a physical freak, that's more reason he won't have as much of a physical slide in his later years.

And who's going to replace him? Gasol? Yao if he's healthy and/or still playing? Jefferson who has the same problems as Yao? There might be one or two centers that come into the league in the next 10 years that will put up his stats.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not sure what Dream could do with Howard. Howard can't even grasp the techniques that NBA simpleton and pervert, Patrick Ewing, tries to teach him. Howard doesn't even get extension on his free throws or hook shots. Seriously, who the hell shoots a hook shot with extending their arm? It's like for all of Howard's leaping ability and muscles he was equally screwed and given worse coordination that most 5th grade YMCA ballers. If he ever loses the ability to jump 40 inches on his hook shot Chuck Hayes will be blocking it.

It's really hard for me to believe that such a freak athlete is unable to extend his arm to shoot the ball, execute a spin move or use a simple drop step on a regular basis. He's like mini-Shaq without the polish (and that's pretty bad).

1 person likes this.
  7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What is funny is that he really isn't that big for a Center. He has great muscular proportions and symmetry that make him look big but just watch him in pre-games next to Patrick Ewing. He's noticeably shorter (at least two inches) and probably not any heavier than Ewing was in his playing days. And Ewing was about average for an NBA center. Howard certainly has great upper body strength but he has trouble moving any Centers with size like Perkins or Yao.

It's all about the explosiveness for Dwight. Unlike some posters, I don't expect him to decline soon (that's crazy) but unless we see him develop real post moves that are effective from more than 8 feet from the basket he will drop off hard once he hits thirty or so. In the meantime, I expect him to consistently be around 20/13 which is awesome. However, if the guy got microfracture he would be a 14/9 guy at best (because he can't get a jumper like Amare did).

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Yeah, Charles Barkley teaching anyone post moves is a joke. There is a rule against it.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Exactly what I'm thinking. Maybe Charles will teach him how to shoot the 3p. :)

10. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

ring ring

D12- yes who is it?
    Dream- Its me Hakeem,quit listening to Ewing. Back in the day he was my b****.

D12- dats funny man
    Dream- You remind me of Shaq,but quit imitating Stan with girly voices and start taking it to the basket.

D12- ok, sorry to disappoint you, Ill try harder
    Dream - you better, I put $10000 on the Magic before the series now get to work

11. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

You know who needs Olajuwon's help?

Scola.

Ice Cream Man + Dream Shake = Ice Cream Shake.

12. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Any video to the interveiw ,,

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Charles was a freak of nature.....

He was only about 6'4 and played the PF position....

He ran the court like a 3, could shoot like a 2, post up like a 4, run the fast break like a 1 and play D like a 5.....

Now has he got Older he learned how to use the rules at that time to his advantage.

Man you guys really under estimate Barkley...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWUVLbVJVlw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWUVLbVJVlw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpIggpXm1u8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpIggpXm1u8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Plus, Charles earned my eternal respect for picking up Shaq and throwing him to the floor, while wearing a Rockets uniform. :cool:

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

What does any of that have to do with teaching Dwight Howard, a tall, stiff, powerful, jumping fool. Barkley was a great powerforward? No $h!t?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It was a response to Charles being mentioned by someone else... you, Sherlock.

17. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

He quoted me, budster. :eek:
    Since you are a contributing member, might wanna use the edit function :p

18. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

3 months with Hakeem this summer and Howard wins the MVP next year. Quote me on this.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And you might want to reread my post. "Sherlock" was used as a figure of speech.

1 person likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many people here just associate Barkley with Inside the NBA and not being a hall of famer and former league MVP.

I'm pretty sure he would out rebound Dwight or the whole Celtic team when he was in his prime.