1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Howard: "talked to Hakeem Olajuwon, he inspired me"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, May 24, 2010.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Josh Smith was moved from the 3 to the 4 and told to stop taking jump shots. Perhaps that is why you don't remember why he all of a sudden found a post up game.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Moved from 3 to 4 and told not to take jumpers = still no post up game even after meeting Hakeem

explain that to me as I don't know what point you're making as I was making the point that Hakeem can't make everyone better as some are not naturals like him

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Josh Smith''s FG% went from 43.9%(2006-07 before Hakeem) to a career high 50.5% this year. His FG% at the basket improved from 56.7% to nearly 60%.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hakeem inspires a lot of folks, good to know !

However, Howard not having a post game at this point in his career is inexcusable.

DD

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't it's about Dream teaching these guys the Dream Shake, it's more about teaching them how to play and utilize your height as a big man...

I know we talked about this in abother thread that the art of the big man is lost... These guys are not honing there skills....

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

all that tells me is that he's taking more layups and dunks than before. that does not tell me he has a better post up game and better footwork after meeting Hakeem.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

well. . Ewing never had one
    and that is who is mentoring him

Rocket River

8. DaDakota

Ewing had one, he was always posted up on the left block, he didn't have one as good as Hakeem's but.....

Howard has just gotten away with being the biggest guy, and he is just not Shaq......

He needs to improve ...big time.

DD

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's going to be dead of cardiac arrest by age 31? I hope not.

I think you severely underestimate the lifespan of a big man who can play defense and rebound. He's 24 years old. He's nearly a year younger than Aaron Brooks. Most big men hang on till their mid-30's and beyond, so he's probably got at least 10 productive years left in the NBA if he wants.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Shaq has a HELL of a post game. The drop step and his soft jumphook are very underrated...

11. DaDakota

He had quickness, but limited moves....didn't need em though because he was so big and so powerful and so quick.

DD

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Today players get by on a higher ratio of athleticism to skill compared to before.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think it's about money. As DoD noted, he doesn't live in the US ... and coaching professionally in any sport is an absolute grind. You would have to be almost addicted to the game to come back and coach after you were a great player.

14. DaDakota

That is why players like Dirk or Duncan or Scola that are decent athletes by highly skilled players are successful.

When you combine both you get superstars like Dream and MJ.

DD

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Disagree, I've seen players transition their game tremendously over the summer. Dream was all power his 1st couple of years and very raw. Robert Horry wasn't a consistent 3 point shooter.

Dwight Howard has the athleticism and footwork to develop the moves. The dude has great footwork and is very fluid.

But you must put in the same amount of effort and practice against highly skilled players in the off season to develop.

1 person likes this.
  16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

He already has most of Jordan's moves, and now he's adding hakeem's? I want him to add Rick Barry's underhand free throw shot :).

17. T_Man

Well Duncan came at the end when Big Men worked on their game playing down low, plus he was so solid fundamentally....

Scola is also has a very fundamental low post game which is an art now a days... Dirk has no low post game so I can't put him into that category.

The problem with the bigs these days especially the ones in America is they don't have a fundamental low post game. I have to agree with the statement about Howard being the biggest and getting away with it, but without the fundamental foundation he will not make it too far.

Dream can provide these guys with that foundation... Not the dream shake but the foundation of how to play the big man position. Pete Newell was great at teaching the big men that and hopefully his understudies such as Dream can pass it on to the younger guys.

18. T_Man

Best quote so far... How bad do you want it...

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Spot on, If Dream puts DHoward under his wing that would mean very bad things for the NBA.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

While some of these guys may have the requisite athleticism, few are going to have it combined with the intelligence of a Dream. Dream had a great ability to analyze opponent's responses, translate that knowledge to the physical by using his athletic ability, and develop moves that would get the better of them. You have to know and feel where your opponent is, what they like to do, what they don't like to do... the feel of the game and the geometry of the game are so important. Post play at Dream's level is as much art as science. Dream could paint a masterpiece because of how he saw the game. Guys like Smith and Howard may have similar tools, but they are only capable of drawing stick figures.