1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard: "talked to Hakeem Olajuwon, he inspired me"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, May 24, 2010.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Notable quote of the day.

In case you missed it, in the post-game show on TNT (Inside the NBA) following Game 3 between the Celts and Magic, Charles Barkley looked at the camera and made a direct appeal to Dwight Howard to call him or Dream in the offseason so he can work on his offense.

Fast forward to tonight: Magic win the game, in the post-game interview, Dwight gives a shout out to Dream, says he talked to him before the game and was "inspired" by him.

Just a nugget in case you missed it...lock thread if already posted

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can't imagine the Round Mound of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups training with actual NBA athletes these days.

It would be interesting to see the results of Hakeem training a player like Dwight Howard throughout the offseason.

3. YaosDirtyStache

He just doesnt have much a post game and thats okay...unfortunately he doesnt have a mid range or close range shot like TDuncan so thats really not okay...

He is pure athleticism and in a few years he will hit his decline and fade into the realm of Yinka Dare.

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Interesting....

I know back in the day Coach Pete Newell started the Big Man Camp and it was almost a mandatory thing for Big men who wanted to improve their game to attend.... I know Hakeem, Walton, Kareem and Shaq have attended... I believe Sampson also went a couple of summers.

So is Hakeem now the new Big Man Coach.... He's had Yao, Okafor and Kobe, now it looks as if Howard will be the next student...

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Howard needs more than a 1-day workout, though. I don't know if Hakeem has the patience to work with him throughout the summer.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This is true.....

Trying to remember how long Pete Newell's camp was back in the day.... For some reason i'm thinking it was 2 weeks.

But as you stated it would be interesting to see what Howard could be if he worked out with Hakeem for at least a month in the off season...

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Dream mentioned something about dominating the paint and that Perkins and Big Baby are shorter than him.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

hakeem can't help everyone....he was able to help Kobe because of kobe's fluidity...he'd be abe to mimic his moves...but DH doesnt have that ability. He needs to copy someone like Amar'e or shaq. He's not going to score using moves that need more than a step or two.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

during the Lakers/Suns series, you can definitely see some of Dream's moves that Kobe uses. Dream taught him well.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think all this "so and so needs to meet up with Hakeem this offseason to polish their post up game" is a tad bit overused.

Some players are naturals and some aren't. You think Mo Malone taught Hakeem the Dreamshake all that time at Fonde? No, Hakeem used his soccer background to hone his footwork and polished his post moves on his own (sure sure CD taught him the jumphook like any big man that went through the Rockets).

I don't remember Josh Smith all of sudden having a post up game after meeting Hakeem. He's still the same player to me. Kobe and Yao already had good post up games before meeting Hakeem, Kobe just seemed intent to learn the move that depantsed DRob. I do think Emeka improved his post up skills somewhat after meeting Dream, but it's not like Emeka was a changed man after it. That's all the players I can think right now.

I see DH in the same boat as Josh Smith; basically staying the same player after a meeting with Hakeem. I see him still trying to get by with his brute strength and superior quickness on his defenders, and if he does try any finesse moves it will look awkward.

I'm glad DH found a big brother legend to give him some good words. Shaq kinda treated him like some tag along brother whenever he spoke of DH.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If i were advising howard, i would try to get him to mimic someone like kevin willis. Left and right ump hooks, spot up 15fter. If he just does those basic things, everything else will flow. He doesnt have to imitate the footwork of dream because he simply cant do it. The jump hooks and 15 ft er are things he can and should be able to do with repititions.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

but he has longer arms than kevin willis and his hair is not as cool looking.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

While that sounds really great, I don't think the Magic will allow DH to train with either Charles or Hakeem as it would really hurt that bum Ewing's feelings.

As popular as Hakeem is though I have no idea why other teams haven't asked him to be a big man coach yet.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Dream doesn't need or want to be a coach, he just does this because he loves the game of basketball and is willing to help anyone who seeks his help.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

loving the game of basketball and wanting to help young players are reason enough to be big man coaches. At least he can help players full time.

Considering he's already retired, the only reason I can think he doesn't want to be a big man coach is because he's making more money helping players one-on-one.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

and this sucks because the rockets had a chance to make him an assistant coach too. its very obvious that patrick ewing is freaking useless training players.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Forget Howard, this offseason.

Jordan Hill and Jared Jeffries needs to go to Hakeem this offseason.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

His clothes don't look as good either.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hakeem trying to help Jared Jeffries on post moves is like Hugh Hefner trying to help William Hung on picking up women.

Jordan could use some footwork advice and how to extend that jumphook range. Also on shotblocking advice.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The last I recall, Hakeem doesn't live in the US (he lives in Jordan) and he only visits on business trips. If that's true, it would stop him from coaching. He has his own real estate company he's involved with from what I recall and isn't just kicking back and relaxing.