1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Strikes the Lakers off His List Because of Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A_3PO, Feb 4, 2012.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This has been bubbling since last night and I've been waiting for someone else to start a thread. I suppose ESPN will grab and run with this soon.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218778/Lakers_Slip_In_Pursuit_Of_Dwight_Howard

https://twitter.com/#!/MisterRudolph

The Los Angeles Lakers were thought to be the team Dwight Howard favored most when he requested a trade from the Orlando Magic. While the Lakers were easily the team Howard thought about most in the summer, his desire to play for the Lakers changed after a conversation with Kobe Bryant, a source said.

Howard envisioned going to the Lakers and forming a devastating one-two punch with Bryant. But Bryant had other plans for how Howard would be incorporated into the Lakers.

Bryant told Howard that he wanted him to come to Los Angeles and help him win two more championships, but not as an understudy. He wanted Howard to be the team's third option behind himself and Pau Gasol, according to a source. Bryant tried to sell Howard on being his "Tyson Chandler" and made it clear that Los Angeles would be his, but only once Bryant decided he was done playing.

Howard was turned off by the idea.

Howard stated that there was "no way" he would give up everything he has in Orlando to go to the Lakers and be the third option, a source close to the situation said. Howard certainly wouldn’t mind being a third piece on a star-studded team, similar to the situations in Miami and Boston. However, he was turned off by Bryant's presentation as it suggested something totally different.

The feeling is so strong, in fact, that Howard's representatives have informed the Lakers that Howard would not sign an extension if they trade for him this season, according to a source. The only two teams with a realistic chance at signing Howard long-term are the New Jersey Nets and Orlando Magic.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218778/Lakers_Slip_In_Pursuit_Of_Dwight_Howard#ixzz1lSodJRGj

2. valorita

valorita Member

howard says no to the lakers because kobe and his 30 million dollar contract.

simple as that.

3. RV6

RV6 Member

So Kobe basically told him his post moves sucked and he can't shoot...

We're still out of the picture, he's either going to stay, or will want to be in hollywood or the NY area.

4. Apps

Apps Member

Perhaps I have no reason to, but I can't help but question the verity of this report. Kobe saying he wants Dwight Howard to play a "Tyson Chandler" role???

Not buying that...

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

****. If I'm Howard I flex my muscle. Go in there, flick Pau off like an annoying fly and let Kobe know he's not about to his b****. Kobe needs Howard. He needs him bad. Howard can go in there, kickoff everyones dinner off the table, sit down, undo his belt, and prop his horse legs on the table like he owns the place.

6. gambingo

gambingo Member

how credible is this Rudolph guy? sounds like bs to me.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Perhaps he didn't say that but implied it.

Like saying "Hey Dwight, I think if you came here I'd like to see you focused on more of the defensive end of things while me and Pau carry the load offensively. Once I go though, the team is yours."

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol yep. This is true.

If Howard did go there he becomes the man immediately whether Kobe thinks so or not.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Howard doesn't really have an offensive game, he plays a bit like a beastly Chandler already.

DD

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

From Ken Berger yesterday:

[SIZE=+1]•[/SIZE]Despite assertions to the contrary, the Lakers remain firmly on Howard's list of three teams he's asked to be traded to, along with the Nets and Mavericks, multiple people familiar with the situation said. The Lakers' clear preference is to trade Pau Gasol in a Howard deal and not Andrew Bynum, who was elected as an All-Star starter for the first time this week. League sources say Nets officials have remained in constant communication with Deron Williams and are encouraged by the All-Star point guard's improved take on the franchise's outlook. Though everyone involved acknowledges the Nets' dilemma: If New Jersey is unable to land Howard, it will be difficult to persuade Williams to join the team in Brooklyn next season. One league front-office source described the Nets as being in wait-and-see mode. "If Orlando said to the Nets, 'Go get this player [to complete a Howard trade],' they'd go get that player," the person said.

[SIZE=+1]•[/SIZE]League sources maintain one of the biggest hangups in the Dwight Howard saga is that Howard has yet to fully commit to a destination. "Dwight can't make a decision," a person briefed on the situation said. "If he'd make a decision, he'd be out of there." Meanwhile, despite the Magic's recent struggles, GM Otis Smith has shown no inclination to soften his stance on trying to play out the season with Howard and persuade him to stay. But once Howard's hometown All-Star obligations are fulfilled later this month, rival executives believe the pressure will mount on Orlando to seriously engage teams in trade discussions leading up to the March 15 deadline.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/...ach-changes-may-foreshadow-ouster-of-some-gms

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Kobe said that Andrew Bynum is now the 2nd option because Pau Gasol isnt "a scorer by nature".

Now Kobe would see Dwight Howard as THIRD option behind "unassertive scorer" Pau Gasol, who he's ALREADY shutting out of shots?

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Dwight should just stay in Orlando and Make DWill demand a trade there.

13. MourningWood

MourningWood Member

L.A. doesn't need Dwight, they need a PG.

D-Will would be ideal.

14. Apps

Apps Member

I've seen a lot of Lakers games this year and it doesn't seem Pau is the hands down second option anymore; Bynum is appearing to slowly supplant him from that role. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Lakers are only considering trading Pau for Dwight and that Bynum is off the table.

Even if Pau was the hands-down second option on the team, there's no way you relegate DH12 to a primarily defensive role. Pau would be immediately bumped to third. It's Dwight Howard, FFS, not Ben Wallace.

Kobe, as arrogant and misguided as he can be, would never draw that kind of comparison or say something like that IMO. He's an ass, not an idiot.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree PG is their biggest need, but getting Howard while keeping Pau would make them much better.

16. kjayp

kjayp Member

Kobe is the same egomaniac he has always been. i really hate that dude!

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Third wheel behind Pau and Kobe?
    What the ****? Ok. If Dwight was asked to play second wheel behind Kobe, fine. Its like the D-Wade situation where Kobe has the right to be the man with the team he's been carrying for the past however many years.

But behind Pau Gasol? Gasol SUCKS. Wow. Kobe could have just said, "**** Pau Gasol. You and me can be best friends Dwight!" Kobe is an idiot.

18. goodbug

goodbug Member

Pecking order is earned, not predefined. Kobe's not an idiot, Howard's not an idiot. Only an idiot buys into that kind of story.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Sure. You realize Kobe just whittled away all chance he had at a final championship or two right?

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

Look, it's very simple where Dwight will end up.

If he gets traded, it'll be to the Nets.

If he leaves via free agency, he'll go to Dallas.

DWill will be wherever Dwight is.