1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Post Ups are the problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

We are ranked number 1 in defensive efficiency and number 21 in offensive efficiency.

The problem is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

Dwight Howard post-ups are killing the offense. Last year, because we had Chandler and Lin, even with the in-efficient Dwight post-ups, we still had an awesome offense because we had multiple offensive options.

This year, the margin for error is much less now on offense, I believe we still can have a top 10 offense, but Dwight post-ups must die.

There are 3 major problems.

1. Dwight Howard is not the best post-up player on the Rockets, that would be James Harden, the best play I have seen the Rockets run is a Dwight Howard feeding Harden in the post on a two man game, I've seen dwight fake the post feed and dribble into the lane for a dunk, I've seen Harden go into the lane for layup and most beautiful of all, I've seen a Harden-Howard low side pick and roll that's unstoppable.

If we are going to run post-ups, we should be running Harden post-ups not Howard post-ups.

2. Howard post-ups kill the defense, Howard turns the ball over on a significant amount of post-up possessions, these are live ball turnovers that lead to fast breaks and kill the defense.

3. Howard doesn't make good decisions fast enough in the postup, he can't seem to read the defense quickly, yes, he can sometimes make assist passes to open weakside shooters or wide open cutters, but I have not seen him make hockey assists, where the ball swings to multiple people leading to open shots. He just doesn't have a high enough bb IQ to make those kind of plays. Watch any of the really great post players and you will see that there is a lot of hockey assists from the big man.

WE all know that Mchale is not hired for his Xs and Os but instead he is a leader of men, well this is what he is being paid for, he has to be able to get Dwight to buy into a role where he doesn't get many post-ups at all. I can't see anyway around that if we want to be a championship team. WE can't be throwing possessions away on Dwight post-ups

2 people like this.
  2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

I agree, even in Orlando he never got these many post ups ISO situations.

However, what other options do you have? Jack more 3's hoping you get hot? Harden in slumping, Ariza is cooling down, Dmo is Dmo and Bev is good for about 8-10points any give night.

You judt gotta hope Howard has it going in the post that day.

4. trugoy

trugoy Member

How about a Harden-Howard pick and roll?

Howard is great at finishing plays, play to his strengths, don't make him a play-maker, run plays to have him finish plays.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The trick is to realize which teams to post up Howard against and when not to.

Common sense says that your team will struggle if you go through Howard agains teams like Thunder and Grizzlies. Their bigs defend Howard well.

To keep going back to him in this situation is asking for FAIL.

Why do they keep doing it?

Ego.

6. dje243

dje243 Member

This. So much this.

7. basketballholic

The problem is

S-P-A-C-I-N-G!

1 person likes this.
  8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

well we need dwight to post up so im gonna give them more time. this team is in a bad slump right now.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Run the damn pick and roll with Harden. It should be our bread and butter.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah. Take the post away too. Stick to 3 point shooting only.

11. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Perhaps we should mix it up and try to run Dwight to the high post. Maybe we can facilitate the offense that way as well.

12. CertifiedTroll

Never was an Eric Gordon fan. Not sure how to stop him though.

13. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Personally I thought Dwight was much better in the post before he came to the Rockets. Maybe I've been spoiled with Hakeem and Yao. Force him to p-n-r whether he likes it or not. Give him a Bill O'Brien it's best for the team talk.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

It's been a problem, when Dwight has big games we usually don't win see the playoffs last year "BBQ chicken" game

When harden has good games, pick & roll, fast breaks are going we usually win.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's a problem against teams like OKC and Memphis for sure. But worse than giving Howard post-ups is giving him the ball and having the other 4 guys do nothing useful. The token, jogging cuts to the basket do nothing. Our PFs only seem to know how to get in the way (other than K-Pap, who stands out at the 3 [good!] and lays bricks [bad!]).* And Harden tends to just float around the 3 pt line when Dwight posts up in case Dwight needs to kick it out. We need more and better off-the-ball action than that.

Against certain teams we can just dump the ball to Dwight and have everyone else take it easy, but against teams with elite defensive bigs we need to do more.

Worrell and Bullard mentioned how the Rockets haven't been able to practice much this season, so hopefully with the upcoming 5 day homestand these issues can be addressed by the coaches. Even dismissing last night as just a "schedule loss" these are things the Rockets need to get ironed out.

*Cue: "We should have kept Patterson!" Who, by the way, is shooting 43% from 3 on 3.5 attempts per game and would be a great offensive frontcourt partner to Dwight.

16. GetOffMyWagon

GetOffMyWagon Member

This is exactly right, there are matchups where Howard is able to dominate down load and get the points at a high efficiency there are others that defend the low post very well and so you have to adjust your game plan (something I haven't seen McHale be capable of). There needs to be a drastic focus on the PnR it amazes me how little they use it considering how effective it is at times it just seems unstoppable.

17. Andrew Li

Andrew Li Member

Exactly. Problem is that our coach chooses to cheat themselves and hope player can improve someday somehow.

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

The problem is that we wait until there's less than 10 seconds on the shot clock to start initiating offense (I'm looking at you, James).

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that it's THE problem, but I agree that it is a big one.

This is spot on. They've got to start playing according to matchups. Dwight's athleticism is the only plus that he has in a matchup like last night's. Post up's should've been rare, and pick and rolls and drive and kicks should have been FAR more common.

20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I dont know if DH posting up in general is even the problem... I think the problem is more WHERE he posts up and the rockets continuing inability to feed him the ball in good position. If he can post up in the paint then its very hard to stop the man without fouling, however, in the past few games where he has struggled, he is posting up well outside of the paint which either leads to an ugly, low percentage shot or a turnover.

As far as the seemingly lack of PNR, I couldn't tell you if the problem is with the defense other teams are playing against us or if, as some here have suggested, its just an ego thing where DH doesn't want to run the PNR, despite the fact that its his most effective play. Regardless, something has to change before we can really consider this team championship caliber.