1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Howard] Joviality vs Intensity?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TracywtFacy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Context friend... right now we don't have good chemistry, we are working on spacing and entry passes into the post, and in general still experimenting. Hell our guards can't even lob oops correctly to him yet. I am happy with what I see from him and I couldn't give a **** whether or not he is smiling, frowning, pissed, ect as long as we win. Lets talk about this half season in and see how he does in happy-go-lucky mode. Right now this discussion is just dumb.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I agree for the most part. I wasn't who brought up his current production. However, it's not something that's just been attributed to Dwight this season 5 games in. It's been talked about before he even came here, so I don't think we need half a season more to start discussing it. In fact, it was already brought up in here after we signed him. If he's different now that's he's here and sees a bright future, and it shows as the season continues, great.

3. j3i

j3i Member

Honestly, if he was more intense, it just means more fouls called against him.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Intensity it is not about. Focus it is.

[​IMG]

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I thought he was pretty serious during the Magics finals run when he defeated Lebron's Cavaliers.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

bingo

7. atamirisa

atamirisa Member

People look at joking around as a sign of weakness...that you have to be serious in order to be successful and productive. We are taught to think that way and see Kobe gritting his teeth like a monster, so of course we think that. But that is not the case at all. According to the Buddha, the most important thing to do is be in the moment. I don't know this, but Dwight went to Tibet and practiced meditation under the guidance of renowned instructor Ra's al Ghul. He literally meditated in the snow and underwent much hardship. In the end he got attacked by ninjas and was able to flee but that's beside the point. Let Dwight be Dwight

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

When Dwight needs to be serious he will be. Just watch his '09 Eastern Conference Finals Game 6, he was totally focused and serious in that game.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tell me a correlation where Dwight plays worse when he smiles more

Also how can you even tell someone's intensity, maybe some players just don't show it by screaming and yelling.

or else this is a non issue

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're giving his facial expression too much importance. You can gauge intensity, among other things, by looking at their on court play.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I hate this thread and topic..

12. dje243

dje243 Member

Yeah this kind of crap doesn't matter.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Intense focus

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

What about that Tim Duncan guy

Imagine if he actually played hard

Like scowled and bit his jersey

He could be good

/s

15. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I see Dwight smiling/joking a lot on court, but at the same time I see him yelling and disciplining his teammates. So I don't think its just a matter of him always being jovial. He's jovial but he's still competitive.

16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Beat me to it.

The knock on Tim Duncan before he won his first championship is that he wasn't "intense" enough, whatever the hell that means. People thought he didn't have heart and desire to win because he wasn't screaming and scowling and giving mean looks like Kobe who was always doing his MJ impersonation. Once he won some chips that sh** flew right out the window. Turns out, different kinds of personalities and can carry a team to the championship. Who knew? Crazy stuff.

This whole discussion of 'intensity' is just a blank canvas for people to project their own prejudices and preconceptions about what attitude a winning athlete is supposed to have. Sometimes made by people who think that Kobe acting like a d*ck is supposed to be the model of leadership. Rolleyes.

There are so many legit issues that are lacking in Dwight's game- turnovers, poor touch on his hook shot, getting lost defending the opposing 4 on the high p&r. This whole 'attitude' discussion is so unimportant.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

translation: Lebron hasn't won a champion, he's not a leader, intense, clutch, etc.

Lebron wins championship, he's great leader, intense, clutch, etc.

18. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Magic was INTENSE!! Bird was INTENSE!! JORDAN was intense!! I'm not a big fan of bruise who are not intense and that is why I think people are still underestimating CP3. If he had prime Shaq like Kobe did, CP3 would already be a champion.

19. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Karl Malone, Barkley, Paytons Seattle where all intense people... didn't get any chips...

its about focus people... a person smiling on the court doesnt mean he is not focused...

a happy Dwight took magic to the finals... nuff said...

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL. This visual is cracking me up.