1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Howard Dean rally - Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Nov 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

How come he has to eat your steaming pile when you get to eat your own? Is this some secret fantasy of yours we should know about? BTW don't even try to play high and mighty on this one T_J, you totally brought this on yourself.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And what's even more sad is that Fegwu (from the impression I get from his post) is on TJ's side.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Mark, I am not on his side. I am just stating that It makes no sense predicting anything these days with an overwhelming sense of surety (a la T_J's case).

We have all withnessed the happenings of this FRAGILE world we live in. As of now the only thing I am sure of is LIFE and DEATH.

Let me state it again - I am not on T_J's side. He is quite too extreme for me. I am only here to learn from the more moderate ones here and to become a better person by it. That is all.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

T_J, you absolutely must let me borrow this line the next time me and my friends get together for a Tuesday night poker game!

CLASSIC!

:D:D:D

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Copraphilia: a psychiatric disorder in which the patient likes to eat their own bowel movements.

I saw William Safire trashing Dean today in the Chronicle.

One thing is for sure the GOP does seem to be afraid of Dr. Dean.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, it looks like the **** is about to hit the fan in this thread...

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

My sincere apologies Fegwu.

8. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

The first place I read about this was in Gravity's Rainbow and I was thinking, WTF kind of literature is this? It's like a collection of free associatiion of WW2 with sick sex stories.

9. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I think we can definitely get these guys on the Howard Stern show. Someone at dog doodie a few months ago.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

T_J: I hope it doesn't come to this (both for you and President Bush) <b>but</b> if it does, would you consider turning it into a ClutchFans fundraising event?

General Admission $10. Preferred seating $50. All proceeds go to ClutchFans. :D

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

this is the most veiled and semi-civilized way I've ever seen a bunch of grown men on the internet tell each other to basically "eat sh*t"

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

i went to the rally. was supposed to start at 5 but dean didn't come out until 7. that was kinda annoying cuz it was cold and windy outside. I think he mentioned they were touring the city looking at the tornado damage?

they said there would be a big announcement during the night but I don't know what it was. unless they considered Sheila Jackson Lee giving her support to Dean the big news?

his speech was pretty good. high energy and charasmatic. some girl in the crowd screamed out "I want to have your baby!" which got some laughs.

Ch.11 says there were about 1,500 people who attended the rally. Pretty good turnout. very diverse crowd. Old, young, gay, straight, many ethnicities. He may not have a chance to win TX but he could get a lot of campaign donations here to use in other states.

I'm still not sure he could beat Bush but I'm much more optimistic than I was before.

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It may also be that Dean lays the groundwork by campaigning here to win some of them delegates from Texas to get the nomination in the first place.

Since we've moved our primaries from Super Tuesday and more and more primaries are earlier, etc. the whole thing may be settled by then, but it also may not be.

14. glynch

I went to the rally. It was a good event. It was particulary good to see a relatively young crowd, for a political event in Houston.

This event convinced me that Dean will win most of the delegates from Texas. It will be tough for the others to stop him as he is the only one really organized at this level in Texas.

If this is any indication of his operation in other states, none of the others will stop him.

15. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

the jackson-lee endorsement was the big announcement. my guess is it was the reason he flew to houston. seems that his strategy right now is showing folks he has support other than new england/internet white folks.

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

hmm. i guess that's an announcement but i don't know if i'd call it all that big. She was kind of annoying last night during her speech. you would have thought she was the one running for prez and during Dean's speech she stood no more than 4 feet away from him the whole time! Maybe Sheila's angling for that Veep nomination.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Let's hope she gets it! As if Dean wrapped in a confederate flag, professing his love for Jefferson Davis wasn't enough, selecting Sheila Jackson Lee as his VP would certainly be great publicity!

18. glynch

Well Dean does have a lot of support from people of color.

Two of the biggest and most ethnically diverse unions, AFSCME and SEIU have endorsed him. So have Jesse Jackson and his son.

Dean made a good case at the rally why white southerners should get beyond race, gays, god and guns and vote for their economic and health care interests.

comment | Posted November 18, 2003

Dean's New Southern Strategy
    Blacks and Whites Together--Focused on Education and Healthcare
    by Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.

H istorically, the Confederate flag is a symbol of the Democratic Party. Today, however, Republicans can fly and wave it, but Democrats can't talk about it--and current Democrats don't know how to handle it.

As a result, the symbol Howard Dean used got in the way of his substance, but his substance was on point--and the point was that Southern whites and blacks together must focus on their common economic needs: jobs, good schools, affordable healthcare.

Howard Dean has a new Democratic Southern strategy.

Democrats know the divide in the South is race. Republicans have exploited it. Democrats have evaded it.

Every Democrat has known since the civil rights movement that the party was becoming less competitive in the South because of race. Republicans have successfully exploited race (in proportion to black voting strength) since Richard Nixon's "Southern strategy" of 1968, by, among other things, using racial code words: Nixon's "law and order," Reagan's "states' rights" and "welfare queen," and the first George Bush's "Willie Horton."

When white moderates started catching on to their racial tactics, Republicans switched from racial to mainly social issues, as a diversion to misdirect voters away from the economic plight of many Southerners, white and black.

For example, Republicans campaign to "keep prayer in public schools," "to display the Ten Commandments in public buildings," to maintain the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance, and around the death penalty, welfare mothers, abortion, homosexuality and p*rnography--all of which play well in the socially conservative Bible belt of the South. As a result, Republicans market cultural campaigns around moral values.

It's one thing for the South to be conservative socially in the Bible belt, but quite another to be economically conservative. But Republicans deliberately blur the distinction between social and economic conservatism.

Economically, when compared to other US regions, the South has disproportionately high unemployment, unfair taxes, poverty, illiteracy, poor schools and inadequate healthcare and housing--for both white and black. Why would anyone want to conserve such economic misery?

So what have Republicans offered these working-class white Southerners? Tax cuts for the rich, less government, a strong military message, plus symbolic cultural, social and moral issues.

Disappointingly, Democrats over several decades, rather than campaigning around common economic needs of Southern whites and blacks, have mostly imitated Republicans on social and cultural issues and failed to challenge around economic issues. White Democrats, South and North, want and need the black vote to win, but then avoid meeting black economic and political expectations that accompany their vote.

In lieu of offering an economic agenda to Southern voters, Democrats instead have used the idea of a "regionally balanced ticket" as the way of dealing with this problem.

John Kennedy put Lyndon Johnson on the ticket in 1960. LBJ went with Hubert Humphrey in 1964. Jimmy Carter's running mate in 1976 was Walter Mondale. In 1988 Michael Dukakis ran with Lloyd Bentsen. And as the Southern white Democratic vote continued to decline, Bill Clinton used a two-pronged strategy in 1992-96, appealing to social conservatism and putting a second Southerner on the ticket. They campaigned in support of the death penalty, ending welfare as we know it and putting an end to the era of big government. Most recently, in 2000, conservative Northern Democrat Joseph Lieberman ran alongside Southerner Al Gore.

Rather than repeating this stereotypical and condescending approach of appealing to whites in the South with a "balanced ticket" and "social conservatism," Howard Dean dares a new approach--to join whites and blacks around a common economic agenda of good schools and healthcare.

If Howard Dean wins the nomination around an economic agenda, and can effectively combat the certain Republican tactic of diversion--using social issues openly, and race more subtly, to sublimate economic concerns--then Democrats may once again be able to win in the South and pursue a progressive economic agenda for the benefit of all Americans.

That's Howard Dean's approach and his challenge. I support him because I think it's the right strategy politically, economically and morally.

link

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

glynch:

Minor correction. Jesse, Jr. has endorsed Dean. Jesse, Sr. hasn't endorsed anybody.

20. glynch

Minor correction. Jesse, Jr. has endorsed Dean. Jesse, Sr. hasn't endorsed anybody.

Are you sure? I saw an article, which I won't site saying thaT Sharpton was pissed because both Jacksons were about to endorse Dean. Maybe Senior backed off