1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Would You Guys rebuild the Rockets this Summer 16.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin plays for Charlotte now.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tell Morey to start selling donuts instead of being a GM

I would be down with that :grin:

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You try and get the best players in the league.

4. Mutombo

Mutombo Member

Relocate to China, hire Starbury as head coach, and win multiple championships. DYNASTY!

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

1. Fire Morey or demote him to assistant, and hire someone who had NBA experience.
    2. trade anyone including Harden, hopefully for one or a few high pick.
    3. rebuilding/developing process for the next a few years.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Bye to Dwight, Terry Josh and TJ...
    Use the draft pick we retain to get rid of Brewers contract
    Hire Thibs
    maybe retain DMo - depending on the price tag...
    See if you can scoop up Larry Sanders on the cheap to pair w Capella

then it's all about which free agents you can score... Conley, Horford, etc...

This would be my last effort for James Harden... Take the ball outta his hands and stop letting him play PG. Give Thibs a shot at keeping him focused on both ends on a consistent basis... if it doesn't work then he's gone next offseason....

7. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Fire everyone. Trade everyone.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Harrison Barnes is not even a beta. He's more like a gamma. You're going to make a gamma the highest paid player on the team? How does this even make sense?

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Start over. Lower expectations. No WCF/Championship of bust mentality. The road to the championship is a grind.

Hire a new coach. I like David Blatt. Give him full power and let him run his system.

Let Dwight walk. Go after a defensive center that doesn't need to score, but can use the ball. Try to sign Joakim Noah to a small contract. I say 3 years, 24 million in total.

Attempt to re-sign Motiejunas. Give him a 4 year deal of about 42 million. Make sure to try to put a team option in there somewhere.

Go hard for Nic Batum. Ask him to replace Trevor Ariza as the starter. Steal him from the Hornets. Offer your arm. Anything.

Trade Trevor Ariza somewhere for a back up power forward or point gaurd. Potential team could be Chicago for Taj Gibson. They need a 3, and we need another defensive big. Gibson and Noah familiarity can help.

Dump Corey Brewer no matter what. Even if it requires young players like KJ or Dekker. Find a replacement swingman who can shoot, and defend. Most likely through free agency. Courtney Lee could prove to be a return of a fan favorite. Only problem is that Charlotte has finally come together and it will be hard not only to sign Lee, but also Batum. Still, Go hard after Lee.

Sign Ishmael Smith or Mario Chalmers to become a back up point guard. We need someone that can either handle/protect the ball or be able to shoot the 3. and is fresher than Terry

Basically, my pipe dream is to steal two players from a team that is better than us and doing better than us, bet on three injured players to return to form(including Dmo,) hope that the new coach will be able to establish a system, and dump Brewer.

Pipedream

David Blatt as new head coach

Patrick Beverley - Ishmael Smith/Mario Chalmers
    James Harden - Courtney Lee
    Nicolas Batum - Courtney Lee
    Donatus Motiejunas - Taj Gibson
    Joakim Noah - Clint Capela

Goal: Make playoffs, win 43-53 games. Give team real chance to advance to second round.

In this new variation of the Houston Rockets, it will be a defensive minded team that relies on team passing and trusting team mates. Batum, Noah, and Motiejunas are ALL capable passers at the very least averaging 3 or 4 assist. Batum, Noah, Gibson, and Lee are all known to be able to play good team defense, and hopefully with the new coaching system it will also make Beverley, Motiejunas, and Capela much more better team defenders like they are capable of being.

Off season goals:

Patrick Beverley will continue to get into better shape. He will work on his ball handling and catch and shoot jumpers(2s and 3s)

James Harden will make an effort to make the Olympic team, stay in shape, and grow as a player and person. Enjoy life, and understand that he will be looked at to lead the team. Become more focused.

Nicolas Batum: Continue doing what he has been doing. Rehab, be in shape, and connect with his new team mates.

Motiejunas: Play for his country. Rehab. Get in shape. Continue to be a work horse.

Noah: Rehab, rehab, and rehab. Understand that his role won't change. He will be the vocal leader of the Rockets, and also the fire to the Rockets. He will be our leader until Harden is able to be that person.

Lee and Gibson both need to stay in shape, and stay sharp. Understand that this isn't just a pay day (although Gibson would be traded to in this scenerio.) This is a team and new brothers they need to go to war with. Be professionals. They need to guide the younger players like Motiejunas and Harden.

Capela needs to grow more, and hopefully learn what it means to be important.

Blatt: Earn the trust of the team. Be the coach he is. Do not let players get away with things.

If we can't get Blatt then Thibs is the 2nd option. Thibs will help because he would be familiar with Gibson and Noah.

Getting Batum and Lee will be most difficult. Like I said. Hornets are better. Why leave a good situation? Almost zero chance we sign either.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey's dream is to form new big 3 with
    Haren, lebum and dorant in Houston.

11. Asian Sensation

Sign and trade Dwight + #14 pick and KJ for Teague, Horford, Bazemore. Sign a playmaker/shooter like Gordon. Try to sign Noah for cheap. See if we can get Aaron Aflalo

Teague/Bev
    Harden/Gordon/Aflalo
    Ariza/Bazemore
    D-Mo/Beasley/Harrel
    Horford/CCap/Noah

Get rid of Smith, Jones, Terry, Brewer. Hope Dekker can be improve, be healthy and knock some 3s as the last man.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Out: Howard, Brewer, KJ, Jones
    In: Whiteside, Batum, Llull

Keep: Harden, Beasley, Capela, DMo, Ariza, Beverly, Harrell

13. pippsux

pippsux Member

Get rid of everybody and restart.

GM gone!
    Coach gone !
    Coaching staff gone!

Sit Hardens fat Ass down and hold me accountable or we get rid off him too trade deadline nxt year.

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Whatever Coach Thibodeux needs.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I would ask Mauri to hire a fitness trainer so that he and the other fat lump Keith Jones get some exercise and shed some lbs.

Exercise and staying in shape is key to a healthy brain and clear thought process.

Right now Murray's entire body is filled with all that McD's grease and Shipley's Donuts and it affects his thought process making him delusional saying things like "nobody will want to face us in the playoffs" or "coaching doesn't matter" or "we are on the level of GSW" (or something along those lines)

Keith Jones, well, he doesn't even know how to put on Dwight contact lenses SMH

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really like the idea of Conley.

Ambivalent about Cousins.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Strip the team and see if the t-wolves would give up draft picks and Wiggins for Harden.

I'm serious.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Almost in favor of this but I have to think that dumping Harden and Howard will further tarnish Houston's rep as a place players come to be flipped.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We need to get off of this free agent destination BS. Build the culture from the bottom up. Draft young, smart, mature players and get a strong coach that will groom them.

Do what Boston is doing. Stop trusting outside players to bring in a strong culture. Establish a solid unit and then add pieces when the culture is cemented in place. Having the coach be the leader of the team will ensure everyone will fall in line.

20. koby1868

koby1868 Member

I don't think this offseason needs to be about a complete rebuild. If I was Les I would keep Morey around. Sure this hasn't been his best season as GM but the guy knows what he is doing. I would first start with bringing on a big name coach with a defensive focus.... Coach Thibs should be that guy.

Next I would let Howard, Smith, Terry and Jones walk. The only way I would be willing to sign Howard back is if he agreed to a pay cut which he won't do. Resign D-Mo!

That would leave us with something like this:

Beverley/Goudelock
    Harden
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    DMO/Beasley/Harrell
    Capela

There's clearly some major holes in that group of guys that would need to be addressed with free agent signing or trades.

Ill start with Centers. As I said before I'm ok with Howard at a discount but it just hasn't worked in our system. I like Whiteside. Young guy with tons of upside and a great defender and rebounder.

I think we are good at PF if we can sign DMO back. Horford would be nice to mix in there as well.

I'd like to see is trade Brewer for anything we can get. If we are able to sign Horford you can move Beasley down to SF. Obviously if KD is brought in it almost makes Ariza expendable but I hate that move.

At SG I would love to see a guy like Afflalo or bring back Courtney Lee.

PG is I think our biggest area of weakness. There's a couple defensive guys out here. Rondo would be out best bet. With him and bev you shut down every PG in the league night in and night out. He could absolutely work in Houston. Dellevadiva would be nice as well. He can shoot a little bit and plays decent defense.

Just my opinion. I hope something happens.