1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you feel if the Rockets suddenly got real good...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsLegend, Sep 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

JONTRO would get horny all summer long.

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Probably not a good comparison. Ed Sheeran objectively made worse music earlier in his career. Once he had funds to hire a real mastering engineer, he blew up.

It's no coincidence that more people liked his music after it was produced significantly better. more labels promoted him, more people liked it on the first listen, so on and so forth.

however, I do think band wagoners are looked at the wrong way. It just means you finally cracked a winning formula, and people that don't love the sport the way we do, become interested in our team.

I for one, will deal with 10,000 LOF's if it means one of them becomes the next BimaThug of clutchfans. And it only takes one, out of a sea of potential lifelong rockets commitment.

3. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

For some reason I get a bit irked (in the non pleasant way) when I hear about others bashing people for being fans. The argument could be made that when you were first shown (or taught) to follow the Rockets you were only a Rockets fan because your family is one. The duration of how long you are a fan of a sport (or anything else) shouldn't be the biggest tool of measure when you want to compare "true fans" versus bandwagon fans.

I only recently follow the Rockets when Yao Ming was first drafted, I was in my first year of highschool (2002) and my fellow athletes suggest I start following the Rockets because they had just drafted someone worth watching. I had previously watched a few games but what bothered me most about sports ANYTHING was the lack of display of the current score. It's hard to pick up where they are in the game when you only post up the scores/time intermittently.

Boy was watching the Rockets with Francis, Mobley, and Yao hard to watch. Francis was so athletic but enjoyed ISO basketball and Mobley .. well he was just a damn good SG. The development of Yao's game was what kept me interested in Rockets basketball.

I know this is beating a dead horse but if Yao had rested properly through the 08 Olympics he would had a more lengthy NBA career. Even if Yao had not fully recovered from the stress fracture earlier that season, China was hosting the 08 Olympics so he really had no choice but to play and represent his country (still hold resentment, but I know his durability had more to do with playing competitive basketball all year round for most of his career as opposed to just that specific time).

Anyways, I guess by OP's standards I was originally a bandwagon fan and proud of it. We have to all start somewhere right?

4. varughese.arun

Ive always been a Diehard houston rockets fan... but Yeah... I didn't follow the Astros as much back in the day, hell, I didn't even watch much baseball back in the day, but in the last few years, I've become much more of a fan. I check up on them regularly, and watch/hear the games daily. Sometimes ppl just don't know much about a sport, they may not have played it growing up, or whatever the reason may be. So when the team gives them a reason to watch by winning, it makes the person more curious about that team. Then some of the fans actually study the game and become a true fans.

I consider myself a diehard Astros fan now.

Even with the Rockets, I fell in love with the game by watching HAKEEM THE DREAM play. I am sure a lot of u on this forum would say the same. If Hakeem wasn't on our team, and we never had those GOLDEN YEARS BACK IN THE 90s... who knows, maybe I wouldn't be a rockets fan today. In essence, we are all bandwagon fans. Only thing that differentiates us is WHEN we got on the wagon.

Mic drop

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What ever makes watching the games more exciting... Better atmosphere... I'm fine with wagon fans.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The bad times are fast approaching. An incomplete roster with big holes always welcomes the Dark Ages...

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would just be really happy with a good team. Anyone who felt the pain of last season and few of our previous seasons should just be happy if this team can get anywhere.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Even if we pull this one out it will be an unimpressive victory.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Whoops meant to post this in the UT football thread

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Superhappy and faptastic

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Still find it weird after all this time, there are still people that complaint that Yao's 08 Olympics participation as his main cause of that career injury, when he played 77 games + 9 games in playoff, by far his most healthy year in that 08-09 season.

Could it be a factor? Yes, but the main cause? Nope.

Back to OP. Nope. I celebrate the team's fine play, and if people wants to celebrate with me, the more the merrier. Everyone got to start somewhere, either due to family, geometry, a particular player or just a winning season.

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

and i can't start threads? meh

How would you feel if the Rockets suddenly got real bad....

Go dump your head in a pool of watermelon.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Since you're such a newbie and band wagoner we will let this slide.....

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So you caught the Rockets when they were suddenly less bad and worse...

There are drinking age adults who have never seen or remembered a Houston championship, and some people like the OP are already wetting their panties over future pretend glory..

15. rockets13champs

I WILL SAY IT NOW AND MAKE SURE YOU QUOTE ME. WE WILL HAVE THE 2 SEED GOING INTO MID APRIL

16. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

I don't think we have to worry about suddenly getting "real good."

17. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

It depends on if they continue to be fans if the good times stop.

I was about 10 when I started following the NBA; that was in 1995.
    I became a rockets fan that year I started to watch basketball, and guess who the defending champs and best center in the league were.

Would you call me a bandwagon fan? I continued to be a fan during the next era's:
    - The horrid Francis era
    - The Mac/Ming Injury plagued era
    - The "14th Pick" Era
    - And now the Current Harden Era

I'm happy to accept the bandwagon if it can suck in more future long-term fans.

As someone who is not American and doesn't feel the dynamics of local fandom, I can really feel the difference of who the popular teams are around the world. It's different for Houstonians who are surrounded by other Rockets fans. You local people don't feel the pain of how unpopular the rockets truly are.

In Australia all I ever see are Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Heat and Spurs fans. You see a few other fans sprinkled in. I'll tell you what is really sad though? Last weekend was the first time IN MY LIFE that I met a fellow Rockets fan. Do you know how sad that is?

Also, I can never find Rockets merchandise in Australian stores. FFS, I even see tonnes of Raptors merch around (and there aren't many Canadians that live in Australia).

So to conclude, bring the bandwagoners and improve the Rockets international brand image by doing so. It happened to the warriors, and I bet the kids who have joined the bandwagon will continue to be warriors fans when they're adults. It happened to me in 95.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What if America got great again and we got invaded by a bunch of bandwagoning Canadians and Mexicans?

19. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Won't happen, well at least on one side as there's going to be a wall :grin:

20. vick

vick Member

I would think i woke up in Bizarro World with Superman.