1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you feel about trading Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 9, 2010.

1. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Shelve the thought of ever trading Luis Scola.

Not only would you be doing a disservice to the culture and reputation of the franchise for such a move, you would be doing a disservice to the man himself.

Remember what Scola said when the Rockets resigned him this summer... the Rockets is the ONLY NBA TEAM HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR (super emphasis).

I'd rather let him go back to Spain than trade him, and I am sure he would feel the same.

2. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Not gonna do it, not gonna do it.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

luis scola should retire as a rocket

4. landryfans

landryfans Member

en, Morey certainly will, for a right price, such as Bosh.

And it does hurt my feelings, that is why we need management to be the bad guy for us.

5. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I love the guy on our team, but I think the timing is why this thread is important. His value and hype around the league is at an all time high after his fiba performace as the number one option. So now would be the time to get the most of out of him in a trade. Like his character and play, don't like his defense/athleticism, I think hes replaceable and if he brings in carmelo, ew gotta do it

6. joesr

joesr Member

So all of you are saying that if D Howard wanted a trade, and they wanted Scola and whatever else, you wouldnt do it?

Anyone is up for sale, just matters whats the price.

7. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

what a dumb stupid thread, "well what if we could get dwight howard or chris pau.l" how do you expect luis to net us a superstar player?

pointless thread, we all know scola is undervalued by most gms. coaches know what he is really worth. gms say he is getting old and too much of a risk, coaches know he brings it every game. scola is not going to net us a superstar, or a early lottery pick.

the only way we get something that is almost equal in vaulue is if a good team trades with a crappy team and aquires a lottery pick from said crappy team. the good team wants to cash in now and get a great player that can help them win it all this year, so they trade for scola. all this being said, means the rockets must suck this year for scola to even be on the trading block for "potential"

thread fail...

8. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Plowman - Thanks for posting a well-reasoned thread about a hypothetical situation with some sort of facutal basis for an opinon. Please excuse the "stop posting you moron" threads, they are posted by morons who need to stop posting.

I think it is case by case. The problem is, Scola is perhaps the best player the Rockets have given that Yao's efficacy is questionable, but he is not elite enough to anchor the franchise. If he can get a franchise anchor in return, then you have to consider it. You have to. I see him like YTao a little - great, fun to root for, a Rocketâ„¢, but maybe not enough to be your superstar.

The question is, is Carmelo a franchise anchor? Is Chris Paul? I equivocate on those guys, to be honest.

Scola is terrific - he is Rudy T'ish for those who remember his playing days - but like Rudy T., he is not winning it on his own. The fan in me wants him to stay. But the Amateur GM in me sees your point.

Again, good post, thanks.

1 person likes this.
  9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yea, my comment wasn't meant to say this was a bad thread or anything but more of what I felt was going to be a barrage of negative replies to the thread.

I will have to disagree on his value, while he is getting a ton of respect from all around the league I do not see anyone willing to move their STAR player for him at this time. We can make a lateral move, sure, but that won't do us much good and I don't see a team with a high draft pick like Philly, GS or Minnesota going after a 30 year old PF when they really aren't close to contending. The contract itself is rather high for Scola and while it may end up being a steal down the road, right now, I imagine most teams rather wait and see if he can live up to it at the NBA level.

Besides the fact he can't be traded, I don't see Scola being part of any deal anytime soon but like I mentioned in another post, down the road I can see Scola being dealt in an OT for Clyde type move to solidify a title run.

#89 rockets934life, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

If we traded Scola, this would be my reaction:

[​IMG]

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

After a poor performance against Lithuania, Luis comes back for 27 pts and 6 rebs today against Russia. Next up for Luis and Argentina is Spain, with 5th place in the tournament on the line.

I'm a huge Scola fan, and unless trading him can net us a superstar, I want to see him to spend the rest of his career with the Rockets.

12. joesr

joesr Member

for dwight howard or kevin durant, only.

13. Ashes

Ashes Member

There's a bigger list than that.

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Only for Dwight, LeBron, Durant, Kobe or Gasol.

Anybody else and I say no, including CP3, Deron, Melo, Bosh or Amare.

15. rox81

rox81 Member

As long as we're talking crazy... sure, I'm all right with trading Scola... for Melo and Billups and the Nuggets next four first-round picks.

Morey, get 'er done!

Sorry, man, but Scola is going nowhere anytime soon. We just re-signed him in the off-season, and we don't exactly have a plethora [yup, bringin' back that word from high school] of big men. Guards we can dish and trade, since we have a little surfeit of them, but big men? Come on.

I do agree that his upside may be limited, but you don't have to get rid of people before they reach their full potential. Why not enjoy his next 2-4 peak years, squeeze some productivity out of him? It's not like the 49ers dumped Joe Montana in 1985, saying, "There's no way he'll ever get better. Trade him away while we can still get something for him."

16. joesr

joesr Member

nope, thats it

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I have no issue with trading anyone for an upgrade.

Hakeem was probably the only player i had any attachment to, and even with him, it was time.

18. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Is be pissed. I love the way he plays and he's the first true pf we've had in a long time.

19. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I wouldn't enjoy seeing him go, but, if a sweet deal came along....it's a business.

20. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Screw Chris Bosh. Scola is flat-out better than him.