1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Would Dwight Howard Look Next To James Harden In A Rockets Uniform Next Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Remember guys Dwight led his team to the finals with Rafer Alston as their starting point guard.

Think about that..

2. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Correction.

Skip led Dwight and the Magic to the finals all by his lonesome

3. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Lol, I don't want Howard here anymore, the guy is a walking curse. All the teams that included into the Howard trade are are doing much worse than they did before. :)

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

The whole spacing thing is very misunderstood.

There is enough spacing for two bigs + penetration, let alone one big + penetration. Just because there are defenders in the paint doesn't mean that your spacing isn't good. The paint is a big place and spacing can be good or bad inside the paint. Bad spacing is what happens when people can 1) guard more than 1 player at the same time or 2) don't have to guard you.

Just as an example, let's say you have a Howard-Asik lineup, a PnR with Howard penetration drive happens, Howard's defender helps on the ball handler, Asik's defender rotates to cover Howard, and a wing rotates to help on Asik rolling toward the basket on the opposite side. That is generally a much worse situation for the defense than if a wing had been rotating to defend a 2Pat long 2 instead.

There are fewer than a half dozen 4s who can shoot the long 2 at elite enough of a clip even to make it work as well as two bigs who are mismatches rolling to the basket against wing help. That's with two bigs without much of an outside game on the floor at the same time, let alone one. Even in the most big-unfriendly guard-centric system there is enough space for one big to score efficiently down low.

5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Dwight Howard overrated written by Charley Rosen

Dwight Howard heads the list. Yes, Mike D’Antoni’s ill-fitting offense is partially to blame for Howard’s relative invisibility with the Lakers. But Howard deserves no sympathy points for his post-surgical mediocrity. If he’s well enough to play, he’s well enough to be subjected to criticism. His number were good in Orlando, only because he was the Magic’s featured player (except in endgames where he transformed free-throws into the heaving of bricks). As I’ve said many times before, his immaturity, limited offense, faulty defensive rotations, and miserable performances at the stripe combine to make Howard a loser.

http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/the-nbas-most-overrated-players#GBb0hP9eCdscGW3O.99

I think for Dwight Howard, in order for him to play well is for him to be the focal point of the offense. Meaning that he has to be the main player and the offense has to run through him. As talented as Dwight Howard is, his game hasn't really improved much over the years while guys like Lebron James and Durant steadily improve each year.

To me, his work ethic comes in question. Dwight said "winning" is the main priority but it doesn't seem like it. I watched a lot of Lakers game this year and in so many games, Dwight is basically an inconsistent non factor a majority to the time. Most of the times, it seems like Dwight only cares about himself...

This young Rockets team are playing great and they have a good chemistry going on right now. The way Dwight Howard has talked about the Rockets really made me sick. He has nothing but disrespect towards the Rockets. Towards a team that will do anything to acquired him and make him the star of their city. His attitude, work ethic, and personality is something I do not want here in Houston.

A few games ago against the Clippers, Jordan Hill who is Howard's teammate happens to trip over Howard and landed hard on the floor and was grimacing in pain. Howard, instead of checking if he's okay since he is right next to him, simply ignored Hill and walked away while the other 3 Lakers player who were on the floor ran up to Hill to help him up. That alone really show how Dwight Howard as a person really is.

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well, that was then this is now. Anyway, how well did Dwight performed in the Finals? I think that Magic's team also had Hedo and Lewis who were a big part of them making it to the Finals.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dwight Howard next to James Harden would look like RuPaul next to James Harden.

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Dwight Howard, the good and the bad:

Good:
    1.Great rebounder, dunk post up, block shot, intimidate inside the paint.

Bad:
    1.Horrible attitude toward the game, smile when the team is behind. Smile when he's got stripped, smile when missed shots. Dude absolutely is the WORST when it comes to competition and this is a COMPETITION GAME, no clowning around. Never appear serious even when Lakers lose. A lot of fake facial expressions that try to appear serious.
    2.A horrible free throw shooter (aka Hack A Howard)
    3. Beside an athletic freak, he is basically a weak player in all areas. In other word, without athleticism, he would not, YES WOULD NOT EVEN come off the bench!! His gaming skills is not natural, he had to learn from someone else. His development is not at a young age, so his skills is erratic at best and that shows at the free throw lines. He can't shoot from outside, doesn't hustle and basically as i say without athleticism, he wouldn't even get minutes off the bench...no joke.

9. conquistador#11

like five inches taller! jejejejejejejejejejejejeje. back to you, bill.

(do not want this guy)

10. jocar

jocar Member

Overrated, never wanted to come to Houston, money.spotlights- ain't gonna happen, back problems, torn labia

11. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Ta hell with DHo! I said before the season that the Lakers would bust due to too many drama queen egos! Pass on bringin Dwight's crazy to town!

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

big rafer hater here....

But Skip was playing lights out, he is one of the reasons they went there.

Plus that team was damn good, a lot of good shooters and Gortat as a backup.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Morey's dream move for this summer:

1a. Clear a little more cap space and sign Dwight to a four year max deal.

1b. Trade Asik and Lin to Atlanta for Josh Smith (sign and trade).

15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Did i start this idea?? I don't want to falsely take credit but i posted this scenario somewhere and Bimathug chimed in and said it was doable... I've been having wet-dreams about it for a while now...

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lol. Besides being a 6'11" athletic freak who's led the league in rebounding and blocks multiple times, he sucks.

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I would love to have Dwight in Rockets Red.

18. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

Filler
    Harden
    Parsons
    Smith
    Howard

Very interesting....

19. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

d12, even with a bad back, is still the best center in the league. It cannot be overstated how poorly the Lakers, as a team, fit together. Nor can it be overstated how bad of a coach MDA is. Howard would immediately catapult the Rockets in to contention for a few reasons:

First, his help defense would dramatically improve the Rockets overall defensively. Keep in mind this is a guy who started on a team feature Alston, Lee, Turk and Lewis, and they go to the FINALS. Howard provides a guy who can challenge (and shut down) the teams who play with a beefy front court like Memphis or San Antonio, and a player athletic enough to challenge Durant, Griffin, etc. in the playoffs.

Second, he would give the Rockets someone to turn to for buckets around the rim, created in the post. Our team has zero post scorers, and while Howard isn't known around the league for his post moves, he does have serviceable skills that can improve. Remember, with McHale, he can potentially learn some other moves. This is a guy he'd be spending entire seasons with, as opposed to his little summer camps with Hakeem. A more nuanced element of this benefit is that he would force guys to stick to his back on defense, meaning the Rockets can also run more traditional halfcourt sets since opposing defenses wouldn't be cheating off of him the way they do on Asik.

Third, he would give the Rockets an absolute knockout big in the pick and roll. Right now, teams instantly double the ball-handler in Rockets pick and roll situations because no one has to be worried about Asik or Patterson rolling to the basket. Howard would be a different story because his athleticism, speed and explosiveness, combined with his ability to catch the ball, would give the Rockets a weapon to punish teams for that kind of defensive approach.

Fourth, his free throws. Yeah, this sounds weird because he is a terrible free throw shooter, however, Harden is an elite scorer because of his ability to draw contact and get to the line. If you add Howard, teams will get in the penalty that much faster, meaning they have to ease off of Harden, or they will send him to the line even more, which gives us freebie points without having the clock tick.

Fifth, he'd create even better looks from 3-point distance for guys like Patterson, Morris because he demands a double team in the post.

Sixth, he adds an above-the-rim defensive element we just don't have right now. Asik is our best shot blocker, and that's not great. Furthermore, the dropoff from Asik to our next best shot blocker is so strikingly bad that we need a major upgrade in that department.

It's astonishing to me that anyone would reasonably consider Asik a better value on this team. Howard is consistently considered a DPOY, MVP and is a top 5 player in the league. Yeah, he's a dramatic douchebag and wasn't interested in playing for this team, but come on. Would you want to be on a team that, prior to any potential trade, featured Lowry, Martin, Lee, Parsons and Patterson? That doesn't even take in to consideration that a handful of those guys would've went to ORL in any deal. I feel like his interest would be dramatically different now that we have a big-time all star player like Harden to pair him with, who is known for sharing the ball and being a clutch player.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Woops, sorry, didn't read the entire thread. I just got excited when I saw today's ESPN article about Dwight maybe not being happy in Lakerland:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...akers-growing-concerned-unhappy-dwight-howard