1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Would Dwight Howard Look Next To James Harden In A Rockets Uniform Next Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 7, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why? The Mavs suck, and their best player is an old Dirk. The Rockets are a much better situation for the next few years than Dallas. My guess is that any Dwight-Dallas talk is based on his initial list back in December 2011. Needless to say, the outlook for both the Mavs and Rockets is just a bit different now.

2. rocketsmetalspd

Howard is no coming to H-Town and I like it.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Funny because lebron still does everything for the team.....just like in CLE.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'd be surprised. Kupchak is known for thinking big and getting stars. I don't see him pulling a Rob Hennigan and trading Dwight for overpaid, good-but-not-great veterans. If the Lakers move him, I think it'd be for a combination of young talent and draft picks, with no significant salaries to obstruct their massive 2014 cap space. Horford is solid, but paying near-max money to players like that is a road to nowhere, and Kupchak knows it.

I also don't think there's any real dislike between Dwight and the city of Houston. Hell, Houston's a fairly similar city, infrastructure-wise, to Dallas and Atlanta. I think the reason the other two were on his "list" and Houston not is because of situations at the time. In December 2011, the Mavs were defending champions, offered a near-prime Dirk and the opportunity to come with Deron (another star of his age). Atlanta, meanwhile, offered the chance to play with one of his best friends in Josh Smith. The Rockets, unfortunately, had zero foundation pieces. The situation is quite different now.

To me, it comes down to whether Morey can make the best offer to Kupchak, be it at the deadline or this summer. Whoever acquires Dwight is going to need to do it by trade, because the money absolutely matters to him. But if Morey has the assets to make a deal work, I'd be very surprised if Dwight weren't open now to coming here.

5. gatsby

gatsby Member

I could see Dwight wanting to play with Harden here.

6. tzou88

tzou88 Member

But we already used our 5 year contract on James Harden, he wouldn't be able to get the 5 year max in Houston.

7. HardLin

HardLin Member

Interesting discussion about Howard on si.com:

http://nba.si.com/2013/01/25/dwight-howard-trade-scenarios-lakers-pau-gasol/?sct=uk_t11_a1

Here's an excerpt:

2. Which teams should have the most interest in acquiring Howard and is there an “ideal” landing spot?

Rob Mahoney: By default, the teams with the most interest should be those convinced that they could potentially re-sign Howard. No teams on the contending bubble should gut their current cores for a Howard rental, and no lottery teams should cobble a package together banking on him to return. That essentially leaves us with three teams, all of which have been suggested as potential free-agent destinations: Dallas, Houston and Atlanta.

Of the three, I find Houston to be the most interesting, though for reasons that apparently fly in the face of what Howard holds near and dear about basketball. In the Rockets’ hypothetical, Howard could be something of a souped-up Omer Asik — mobile and dominant defensively (assuming his back problems aren’t debilitating to his career), while far more potent in the pick-and-roll on offense. James Harden and Jeremy Lin could get Howard easy finishes in the lane, and the supporting cast in Houston is largely composed of the kinds of spot shooters and hustle players who make for effective Howard complements.

The only problem is that Howard has proved averse to that very style of basketball, as evidenced by his thoughtless belly-aching for post-up after post-up. Don’t get me wrong: Feeding Howard on the block is a decent option, and his back-to-the-basket repertoire is more effective than many would have you believe. But repetitive post-ups just don’t make sense as a team’s default offense anymore — not with the revolution of court spacing that has turned the high pick-and-roll into such an effective and versatile a weapon, and not with Howard so incapable of converting the free throws that come from his attempts down low.

In theory, Houston could give Howard a young team to grow and win with, a coach who appreciates the post in Kevin McHale and a team that could feed him by the bucket-full in pick-and-roll situations. But if Howard gets moody over having to run high screens for Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant, why would he be any more amenable to doing so for Harden and Lin?

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I'm sure Dwight is gonna like it here because he'll get more touches of the ball because he didnt get any hen he was on the Lakers

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Howard doesn't get b****y about p'nr he gets b****y about Kobe chucking 30+ shots while he gets only 5.

10. kcal

kcal Member

He wouldn't be very pleased with Harden's ISO's then.

11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Dwight should know that if he plays with Kobe he's barely gonna get touches of the ball

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

even Howard could join rockets as free agent, do you think this will be a contender team? I am afraid not.

14. rolyat93

Hell yea he would. He'd put us the closest that we've been since 34 was faking Robinson out of his shoes.

15. Miracles Boys33

Maybe if we land Dwight we can get Josh Smith also there friends

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

b****y McBitch b****in' about everything. :p His way or no way. Working on getting his 2nd coach fired. Him and Deron Williams, a match made in heaven.

17. jocar

jocar Member

Check out Dwight's post game interview, he's gone Hollywood, and is lovin it. Just waiting for him to pop his pecks and wink to the camera..
    Uhp, there it goes!
    yeah he aint leaving
    /thread

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'll pass on Dwight , if they are going after a center , I'll take Pekovic who will also be an UFA , he can make his FT's , is young , not crazy or whiny and should grow with the team .... Then you can move Asik for an upgrade at the PF spot or keep him and have him come off the bench.

19. rolyat93

Asik> Pek

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

After tonights game in LA with Kobe dominating and Dwight flourishing.. Dwight will be a Laker next season.

Mr. D