1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol
    People should never mention Yao and Joe Chee in the same breath
    If you eliminate that they are tall and Chinese , you are comparing and NBA legend to a rio grande valley player

saleem likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

He’s using absurd analogies causes he’s rooting hard for Joe

I root for the team.
    To me he’s should get the same love as the Isaiah Taylor’s of the world
    Cause he’s on that level

Why no love for the other second round project? Hardentein?
    Where’s the he’s baby Capela ?

3. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

He will be viewed as a player that will be back in the GLeague next season

saleem likes this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is one more year closer from being 2 year away.

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to talent, obviously Yao is in another league. It ain't close. Does anyone here disagree with that?

(Or are you just arguing to argue?)

o_O

D-rock and c1utchfan925 like this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

In a three point shooting contest Ryan Anderson would destroy Joe Chee
    Joe’s competition is Sam Decker

7. riko

riko Member

No chees upside is a solid bench player and Yao is a HOF player and a top 5 Houston Rocket.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We really shouldn't compare him to anyone .... He's basically a 7ft blank slate that can do a little bit of everything but nothing exceptionally well.

Being on this Rockets roster that has been the leagues best team all season and loaded with talent 13 deep really hasn't helped him , he doesn't get any minutes , hard to develop under those circumstances .... We really don't know what we have in Zhou Chi.

He's played fairly well in the D-League , gives us some hope that maybe he puts it together ....

One thing that bothers me is his FT% being so low .... good shooters don't shoot 56% from the charity stripe.

At this point I think he's a year away .... Question is , will he forever be a year away or does he put it together and become a contributor.

9. basketballholic

I'd say he needs to go if that's the case.

10. basketballholic

Was hoping Qi would get more run early, like Pops does his youngsters, to give him a chance to get partially yo to speed. His injuries kinda detailed that. I think he's developed nicely at RGV though instead. He's an NBA level defender already. Needs to continue to improve on the three ball. But he's jacking it up there often with decent accuracy in his first year. That will translate. Hope we keep him. He's got the quickness, hops, and length to be a difference-maker. And the defensive instinct is already there.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I didn't like the Zhou pick the second it happened, but it's not like I'm always right or should be an NBA scout or GM, lol. Just throwing that out there.

Maybe for a different thread, but this offseason, probably worth noting that it's kind of about time for DM to have another hit in the draft.

Here are the picks beginning in 2012.
    2012 = Lamb, Royce White, Terrence Jones, Furkan
    2013 = Canaan
    2014 = Capela, Johnson
    2015 = Dekker, Harrell
    2016 = Onuaku, Zhou Qi
    2017 = Hartenstein, Brooks

I mean he's got some players in there. Some bench guys. Some guys that got some run at some point. Harrell still has upside - though of course isn't on the team.

And there's Capela. Capela is the savior pick of that group. And sure, there's not a lot of high picks in there. But if you look at the years before a much better hit rate. And even with late picks, you have to get a hit every few years.

In other words... it's TIME. In this deep draft (though how deep beyond the top 10 or whatever I can't say), perhaps its time to buy into the late first round.

I mean the Rockets won't have the assets, and nor are you likely to see another trade like this this particular offseason, but the Jazz move of Lyles+#24 for #13 is the type of thing that might make sense. Another move, at the time, where I was shaking my head. Not because I thought Mitchell would be what he has become. More because I thought Lyles sucked.. though I guess he's been better/decent this year.

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I'd say Harrell has been a hit, he's an elite P&R roll man and an efficient inside scorer.

Of course, not having a first round pick in 3 of those years doesn't help.

D-rock likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Generally I'd agree, but I mean TJones is a hit too by that definition. Through three years Terrence was definitely the better, much more used player. And sure he might still be in the league as a backup big but for randomness in his life.

Like I said, there's some NBA players in there, for sure.. and the Capela pick, be it a great system fit, or whatever, is obviously crazy good.

So it's less about DM as a drafter, but more about just from a timing perspective, especially considering whatever the next "hit" is, isn't definitely going to come in and be great year 1, it's time to get another hit in the draft, imo.

That said, plucking a late stud pick would be obviously amazing (eg. Kawhi, Draymond, Mitchell... some more late than others!!)

Best player available, obviously...

Discussing specific players is probably for another forum...

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You expect nothing from 2nd rounders and right now that's what Joe Chee has given us. Having said that, I think there is some 2nd round talent this year that could be pretty good so hopefully Morey gets a gem.

15. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Jones had the talent, he had the right system around him, but I remember an interview with one of our former scouts saying that he didn't have the drive to get better or even maintain his shape, and peaked in his second year.

IDK if Harell will flame out in a few years of remain a role player for around a decade barring catastrophic injury, but so far he's pretty good. Harell's WS/48 for the last two years were higher than Jones' ever were.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He should stay if that's the case, because it would be a sign of improvement. Getting 7 points and 5 rebounds in 20 minutes plus rim protection is better than zero production.

17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Where's the "it's too early to tell" option?

On a team littered with veterans, any rookie will have issues getting quality playing time in order to develop their game. There are a few exceptions (injuries namely) that'll open up a rotation spot on a contending team. Zhou Qi''s tall, can shoot decently for a 7ft+ player but hasn't shown the court awareness, boxing out on rebounds and marginal 1 on 1 defense to give D'antoni a reason to put him on the court over Nene/Black.

He's also terribly light to play up against the more physically playing PF's and C's of our league. Give him a chance to develop physically and allow him some time to adjust to the way the NBA played (with inconsistent calls, what players can get away with and what they can't). I'd say his BEST case scenario is Yi Jianlian, and that's not a very favorable comparison, who had a chance to sign a multi-year deal with the Lakers IRCC but chose to go back to the CBA so he would be guaranteed playing time.

18. basketballholic

That's not how you evaluate. The most important aspect of a big man's game I'd his defense. If Zhou is only 50% of what Capela is defensively then he needs to go.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Still looks awkward and scrubbish out there

apollo33 likes this.
  20. Mr. Space City

he's got a long way to go to even be serviceable bench player.

his g-league stats don't mean **** because there have been a ton of guys with decent g-league stats that can't do **** in the nba.

the biggest problem i see with him outside of him just not physically being able to match up in the nba is he looks scared and timid out there. like he has no confidence in his abilities.

that suns game they basically had to force him to just shoot.

saleem likes this.