1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

We keep around because nobody knows if he will turn out good or not. Just because you are ready to win now means you dump all your young players, a couple of years ago we had Dwight, Harden, Asik, J Smith and a rookie Capela. The Rox could ha e traded Capela for a vet then but wisely kept him around. Look at him now.

In the case of Joe he wont be as good as Capela is but a defensively better and Cheaper Ryan Anderson? I think it is an achievable goal.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't say dun keep him around, but Yi was a better talent, outside of 3pt shooting and one block more.

He did not make it, so I have no fantasy about anyone else.

Euros are used to play in the NBA. The ratio of Asians making it in the league is a tad greater than Zero.
    And that greater than Zero guy was 7'6 and No.1 pick.

Wish we could change that, but it is what it is.

I think Chinese players should flock to the Euro leagues first, it's better competition than the CBA.

Anderson is a 37-40% consistent long range shooter.

Would be the first Asian shooting that well consistently. (apart from Yao's 2 pointers)

#662 daywalker02, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Makes you wonder what in the world he was doing when he was 16-17-18-19...

Dude should have been doing squats all day and all night.

4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

To be fair, Yi was a monster for a 20 year old, his only problem was that he was actually 23.

True Rocket likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, yes. I think Joe Chee had similar problems, kids in China change their birth dates to go to school earlier or later whatever suits them.

6. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Capela jr.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao happened like many years ago
    Foreign players understand the NBA game now.

They didn’t even have HDTV or Fortnite during his era.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Yi at nba summer league last year
    He was a spectator like me
    I’m sure he got free tickets though

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A defensively better Ryan Anderson i.e. someone who hits 38% of huge volume on 3's? There are only 10-15 players in the NBA who shoot as well as Ryno at that volume. We should temper out expectations for Qi. To expect that + above average defense from a 7'2 guys chasing athletic 6'9 guys should be at least 2 years away (and probably more), and people have had succesful careers doing less for champions.

If he is playing good defense and hitting 35% of 1-2 attempts per game, he can play. That's more than what Black/Nene can give us next season at C. We just have to make sure he's the worst shooter on the floor for us. Right now his shooting is as close to bouncing him out of the league as it is to Ryan Anderson's accuracy.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Have you seen a CBA game?

Have you been to Asia?

They understand nothing Jon Snow, nor do we.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Shhhhh that's what Ryno haterz don't want to hear!

;)

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

He averages THREE blocks per game already. Don't see Qi ever being a great low post defender but he is a plus rim protector already and has the length and agility to be very good switching and perimeter D.

Only first year with Rockets, he will improve rolling to rim for oops with more experience. It's his crappy FT% that surprises me.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

What huge volume are you talking about? 5 attempts a game and 2 made threes a game is huge? LOL contributing 2 made threes a night when that is the only thi g you do is huge...wow

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Shhhh Anderson's "HUGE" contribution is 2 made threes a night ;)

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Only Anderson fanboys will call 2 made 3s on 5 attempts a night "huge volume".

Ariza makes 2.6 threes a night or 24% more than Ryan "Huge Volume" Anderson. Look out guys, Ariza about to break the shooting record :rolleyes:

This is what triggers me about the Anderson fanboys so much, literally lying through their teeth just to prop up their idol wtf

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You keep quoting the stats this way. Yes, it is extremely significant when compared across NBA shooters. Last season he hit 40% on 7 attempts as the second option on the 4th best team in the league. This season he is shooting 38% on 5.3 attempts and it's a DOWN season.

Teams pay for that skill by accuracy. They don't pay by "WELL IT'S ONLY .2 MORE MAKES" that's an absolutely absurd thing to say even on a message board. Teams pay by how accurately you shoot. People who can hit 40% of 5 attempts in a down season, and they have proven this skill over a decade, then they are a statistically great shooter. That's not debatable. That's you walking up to any shooting coach and say: "A guy can hit 38% of his 5 3pt attempts in a down season, how good a shooter is he?"

You're basically saying Ryan Anderson isn't that great a shooter because he's not shooting that much. Stuck in a loop. We're the best offense in history and the #1 seed. We are competing at a higher level and Ryno is a flawed player getting $20m. It's still easy to see, Ryan Anderson has been one of the best shooters in the league for years now and that's a monster weapon to have in a role player, once you can get over the price tag.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Triggered. ;)

You know I love ya baby.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

See I don't get this. You are a Rockets fan. You watch the games. You know Ariza is having a historic shooting season for himself and Ryno is having a meh one. You KNOW it, and you don't mention it, and make the flawed point anyway. Focus dude, focus.

19. jayfree

jayfree Member

As the Human victory Cigar!

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah. Also, James Harden and Lamarcus Aldridge make the same number of field goals per game. I guess they're roughly equally valuable as scorers!

Dude maybe we should forget this season and just rebuild around this new FGM and 3PM model you've pioneered? I'll send Fertitta an email, let Morey know he's not needed anymore. After all, shots made seems to be the most important precursor to determine your shooting reputation. Efficiency is an antiquated concept, and it doesn't take volume of makes into account. It's not like both things should be taken into account hahaha no.

DUDE what if we only have Qi take 100% of the shots while he's on the floor. Might attain Jordan-like FGM numbers on a minimum contract. The NBA is about to change.

The NBA.
    Where Field Goals Are Made.​