1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Yao fit in with our current group?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Mar 18, 2010.

1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This ^

--RB

2. dexkk

dexkk Member

Yes Yao is completely different from Hakeem or Kareem. Yao doesn't have athleticism. His biggest advantage is that he is 7'6" tall. As long as he doesn't lose his height, I think his career is fine in the long run.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I think you're off a little on the comparison to Kareem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1yVfJs6OcI
    That's a Kareem highlight video, mind you, so his best plays. Yes, he had a little more athleticism than Yao...but not a ton. He's not beating anyone off the dribble He's not running a bunch of fast breaks (and when he does lead one, it is somewhat awkward but similar to Yao's earlier one against the Blazers). It's mostly post moves with a good bit of athleticism, but similar to Yao.

I think it's pretty clear that the league's better teams know how to play and play well at different paces. Moreover, while talent level can be debated for individual players (T-Mac), I think it's pretty clear if all you do is add Yao to the current squad, it will be the most talented Rockets team in 15 years, and the best fitting / chemistry squad since the championship years. It's obvious it will be. They all seem to get along. They are all unselfish but extremely hard working and really want to win. With Yao, with Brooks development, with Martin, you now have 3 players to go to at the end of games. With Scola on the floor it's another solid option you'd be comfortable going to.

Don't get me wrong, they will need some time to gel, and you can't pencil them into first round homecourt advantage or anything, I just see the pieces fitting together really well.

Moreover, Yao will have an impact more on the defensive end than anything else. You could almost completely ignore the offensive end. The team needs to get better again at protecting the paint and defensive rebounding. That's how they'll win more games.

1 person likes this.
  4. T_Man

T_Man Member

Ok....

You lost me on this one....

Please remember that Kareem was 28 when he was traded to the Lakers and that was in 1975 and I believe he was in the finals that year or the previous year... Between 1975 to about 1980 Kareem was around 20/10 easy for someone in late 20's to early 30's

People tend to remember the OLD Kareem in the mid to late 80's when he was close to 40 and he still was dominating Centers... But the younger Kareem was a freakin machine...

So again as I stated earlier... Please don't use the Yao to Kareem comparison...

5. Kindger

Kindger Member

End of the thread.
    I know, but I have to repost the whole thing.

6. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Don't matter. He can have Chuck's offense as long as he block shot and rebound. Tired of watching opposing center grab offensive rebound and stuff it on our short and soft centers.

7. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Our 2nd leading scorer last year w/ yao was RON ARTEST...this year we have brooks/martin/scola playing at all star level with ariza in his natural complimentary role and a DEEP BENCH (lowry, budinger, hill, battier, andersen). Drop YAO into the middle and this is a championship team...let adelman sort out the details of "fitting him in"...the goal is to get the most talented players possible at every position and that's what we'll have.

8. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Yao doesn't need to develop a high post game. RA has to call more plays with Yao in the high post. Can someone please tell everyone else what Yao career pecentage at the free throw line. 89-92% I think thats exactly where the high post is (free throw line & right elbow and left elbow. I can't remember Yao not ever getting his shot off. Instead of his spin move, with the current slashers of Brooks, Martin, and Ariza RA should call more pick and pops with Scola and Yao around the high post area. With Yao's career ft percentage I don't know why coaches have not utilized him more in the high post earlier. Not saying that he always has to be at the block, may be only 75% and the other 25% at the high post.

9. adagio75

adagio75 Member

just to let you know, the 5 position is the center position. I think you meant Battier plays at the 3 position with the small line up.

10. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well he'll somehow fit in but he won't be the main focal point of this team. The Rockets were Yao's team a few years ago but today Brooks, Scola and perhaps Martin is running it. Brooks is a surging young player right now and he would not move aside for an aging declining injury prone player.

Since Brooks, Scola and Martin are doing so well, the Rockets just wouldn't stop their full potentials for a single player that is declining and very injury prone. The Rockets are stupid if they believe that Brooks, Kevin, and Luis would step down for Yao. Right now the Rockets are missing a few key pieces and Yao is probably one of them. But his history of injuries, Yao should slowly slide into the rotation as a role player. The Rockets cannot change their entire offense just for Yao. Yao has to adjust to the Rockets offense.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

if he comes back as strong as he was last season I wont have any worries.

Its Yao he will find a way to make it work for the team I dont think the team has to worry about having Yao fit in.

thats the beauty/rarity about Yao he is soo team success first its not even funny. He can average 10/7 and be happy with it if it means the rockets are racking up Ws like crazy.

basically the team will run and if there isnt anything early pull out and work through Yao i dont see the big deal of wondering why it Yao wont fit. The defense will be better so the opportunities to run will be more. With Yao back this team can truly play both 1/2 court and open court ball other teams wont be able to speed it up or slow it down on this team.

its going to be beautiful to watch next season

1 person likes this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we NEED to be able to play the half court set as well. I say bring Yao off the bench and play him 20 min a game. I would rather have some Yao than none at all.

He CAN'T play starters minutes.

13. tinywang

tinywang Member

Yao is going to be leading the fast breaks.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvvAMDrMcO0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvvAMDrMcO0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. Yetti

Yetti Member

Although my favorite poster DD doesn't agree with me I believe that Morey is building the team with Yao as the center piece.
    The only thing I am concerned about is who is going to pass the ball to Yao when he is calling for it! (Brooks playmaking is on the upswing though).
    Possibly we will see two different forms of BB , one with Yao and a slower traditional game and the other without Yao but with an upbeat pace.Y :p

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

It honestly depends on how healthy Yao is. He's easily our best 1 on 1 player. It's okay if he's not 100% by the start of the season, he can be worked in. The beautiful thing is that we don't need to run the offense through him to score. He can easily get 15/10 on garbage opportunities alone and we'd still score over 100. If Andersen can keep up with this team Yao certainly can.

16. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

i think it would be much better if people posted threads about yaoin this offseason.

17. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

We have someone better... by the name of Kyle Lowry.....

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Daryl Morey is a genius. The way he has constructed this team to excel either with or without its best player is incredible. I have no doubt that the Houston Rockets will win at least 1 NBA championship with Daryl Morey at the helm.

19. MandM's

MandM's Member

I think our current system stinks anyway. with it we can't beat the good teams. So when Yao comes back it will provide something else.

Yao and another big piece

20. BetterThanEver

Yao was horrible when Adelman had him in the high post.

Yao Ming is 44% from 16-23 ft range in 2007. 33% in 2008, and 39% in 2004. Compare that to 63% in 2007, 66% in 2008, and 64% in 2009 at the rim.