1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Will the New Gates Book Affect Obama/Hillary/Et Al?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It get's even worse for thumbs.

When asked about Biden, Gates also said he would also do well in the role [president].

"I suppose to be even-handed I would have to say I suppose he would," he said.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strange off topic situation but it's more about blue collar working class folks who struggle to make ends meet. The point being that the struggle is so profound that all they have time and energy for are the earthy tools of their work (iron and rope).

It's working man's anthem. It is far from being about suicide.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=3031070605001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

4. basso

Supporting Member

the two minutes or so beginning ~5:30 are particularly damning.

<embed src="http://www.cbsnews.com/common/video/cbsnews_player.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#000000" width="425" height="279" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="pType=embed&si=254&pid=KQ9MzvLXfZix&url=http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/robert-gates-on-duty-memoirs-of-a-secretary-at-war" />

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is pure bull****... Trying to play the veteran sympathy card to create this false strawman where Obama does not care about the troops. He was handed a war that he knew that went on way too long but had no quick exit strategy. He was not happy about still being in Afghanistan, however he knew that he just couldn't uproot all forces and leave. And this somehow translates into "he wasn't committed to our troops."

Those parents who were interviewed probably hated Obama even before and are now using their dead son as a way to propagate their hate. Disgusting. Your son didn't die because of Obama. I'm not placing blame for Obama for my leg almost being blown up and 17 of my brothers dying.

#65 fchowd0311, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. fchowd0311

I'm glad Bush was so passionate about the wars he started. :rolleyes:

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The key thing to take from that was when he said "People will take from this book what they want." It sounds like his book is very even handed and while he does criticize the Obama Admin. he also has plenty of praise for it too.

8. basso

Supporting Member

mussolini made the trains run on time.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. fchowd0311

Seriously, what is the fascination with right wingers comparing Obama to World War 2 era dictators?

11. fchowd0311

Another thing I would like to add. These people are crazy. When they attack the "winning the hearts and minds" strategy that even Bush believed in I knew they were way past the point of sanity. What other option did you have in Afghanistan? Level the entire nation? These people are using their son's death as political points. Disgusting.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like that they've branched out to Il Duce now! I mean, he had really short hair... kind of like Obama (?)

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In praise of Obama, Gates calls the president's decision to order Navy SEALs to raid a house in Pakistan believed to be the hiding place of Osama bin Laden "one of the most courageous decisions I had ever witnessed in the White House."

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/07/605...#storylink=cpy

14. basso

Supporting Member

how did he feel about the rush to claim credit and expose details of the mission?

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In praise of Obama, Gates calls the president's decision to order Navy SEALs to raid a house in Pakistan believed to be the hiding place of Osama bin Laden "one of the most courageous decisions I had ever witnessed in the White House."

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/07/605...#storylink=cpy

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. basso

Supporting Member

how indeed?

How can a commander in good conscience send troops on a mission he doesn’t believe in, a mission from which he knows some will never return?

and this:

By early 2011, writes former defense secretary Robert Gates, he had concluded that President Obama “doesn’t believe in his own [Afghanistan] strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his.”

Not his? America is at war and he’s America’s commander in chief.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

meh, I saw Gates on The Daily Show. He was more about systemic problems, accountability in the military and bureaucracy and the unworkable nature of a partisan Congress. He seemed most proud of firing a bunch of Generals.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It won't affect the election at all because most people who vote are total morons who don't care about crap like this.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

like what? it's bipartisan criticism. unless you throw out all the incumbents and elect pragmatist independents it's just the state we live in.