1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Will the New Gates Book Affect Obama/Hillary/Et Al?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I tell you what.... when the culture changes so that families do not need both adults to work 50-60 hours each a week people will read more. The fact is that in America for many people virtually all of their time is accounted for, to the extent that people do not even have time or an interest in cooking anymore.

Yes there is laziness in America (although less than some think), the real problem is the culture we live in. People are working harder and harder for less and less.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

this is insulting to the american people. honestly i know this goes on and it's the main reason i don't vote. these politicians will say anything to secure your vote and then get elected to push their agenda not the voters agenda who voted for them and what they promised. when did it become acceptable to disrespect voters that way, has a vote ever meant anything?

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Thank you, Obama.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

1776?

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He also praised Hillary Clinton pretty resoundingly in the book apparently, with Woodward indicating that Gates saved his highest remarks for her to such an extent that it could be seen as an endorsement.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't know that Obama had been President since 1980.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

On Biden:
    On Congress:
    More Congress:

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I know all politicians do this, and all that...but this still bothered me the most of all the spoilers from the book.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hillary should have been our president the last 8 years. I've never been a Obama fan but voted for him because he was the lesser of two evils. Was going to vote for McCain up until he announced Palin as his running mate. Unfortunately I discriminate against r****ds when it comes to electing leader of the free world.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

And you actually see Biden as an upgrade over Palin?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Are you kidding me with this question? The dump I took after an all-night binge drinking session topped off with blazing wings from BW3 is an upgrade over that woman.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Hilarious that you think it is "liberals" who brought GWB into the conversation when it was a comment by thumbs that introduced Bush into the discussion.

Again, your fail is palpable.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You think the trends of the last 60 years were started by Obama?

Statements like this are the reason people can't take you seriously.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well Gate's book was highly positive both Clinton and Obama. Gates called Obama's decision on OBL one of the most courageous decisions he'd ever seen. Gates also said that Obama made the right decisions on Afghanistan and that he was clear and thoughtful decision maker.

All positive stuff Gates said about Obama.

This also a quote from Gates about Hillary.
    That type of praise is far stronger in the positive direction than his political comment was in the negative direction.

As usual this is much ado about nothing.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Why are the politicians to blame for this? Haven't you ever had a situation where your boss wants you to do something unreasonable, so instead of getting into an argument you know you can't win, you just nod your head and then end up working around his restrictions or even ignoring them? The situation Gates describes is no different from that.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It was a big mistake to fall for the whole Bob Gates being anything more than a warmongering neo-con who is one of the principle guys responsible for the corruption of the CIA for political purposes and the ridiculous Afghan and Iraq Wars. He was probably even involved in the GOP plot to insure that Jimmy Carter could not get the American hostages held by Iran released until it helped the GOP.

It is too late, but I suspsect even Obama has learned that you don't play nice with these guys.

For a good background article on the despicable Gates, see:

http://consortiumnews.com/2014/01/08/robert-gates-double-crosses-obama/

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not that surprised by Gates' comments. I think it is pretty obvious that Obama didn't have much interest in being a wartime president and felt that Iraq and Afghanistan were headaches he inherited. I've also never been impressed with Joe Biden. I don't think he's been wrong on every foreign policy decision of the past 40 years he's certainly spoken out of both sides of his mouth and I can certainly see how his rambling abrasive style annoyed Gates.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Did Tenet's book hurt anybody? Voters don't read, if there's anything noteworthy the journalists will relay it. Commentators will over-report and only be listened to by their respective ideology.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member