1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to rig a Street Fighter 2 cabinet to HD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tigerknee, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Little backstory. One of my friends gave me one of these since he happened to have three of them. Little note to anyone who has never had one, they are heavy as hell.

[​IMG]

I decided to put a J-PAC board in there so that I can hook up a MAME PC with a modded video card so that it be displayed on the 320 x 240 CRT. The setup was pretty ghetto. I had a tower sitting on the right side and PC speakers bolted to the outside. Well one day lighting struck and fried the PC and CRT. As mentioned before, that damn thing was too heavy to haul anywhere and throw away so I decided to fix it. Well when I took the CRT out, I noticed that there was a LOT of room where it used to sit. Then I pondered to myself, "Hey, I can fit a PC and LCD with all this room!" So I researched some LCD's that fit the dimensions that were now offered to me and now I bring to you CF, my ghetto HD Mame cabinet!

First thing's first, I need to spec out a PC that would be fast enough for SF4AE. I opted for an Intel i3-3225, 4GB of RAM, ASRock Mini ATX B75M-DGS (comes with SATA 6.0Gbps for the SSD), 500W Antec, Transcend 128GB SSD, Geforce GTX 460SE and Windows 7 Pro x64. Here it is mounted on a piece of wood :D

[​IMG]

And here it is mounted inside!

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the power button and speaker control along with the USB ports rigged to the side of the cabinet. (another USB has been added since then)

[​IMG]

I added two fans. One on the right next to the video card

[​IMG]

And one on the back

[​IMG]

I gutted the power supply of the JAMMA cabinet and it was responsible for the light of the marquee. So I had to buy a new light shown here

[​IMG]

What's cool about this light was that it was mounted on that white of wood that came off fairly easy. When I took it off, I noticed there was only ONE speaker behind there. So I ripped it off and zip tied some Logitech speakers shown here :D

[​IMG]

Here is the subwoofer bolted down into the cabinet

[​IMG]

Now with that done, I wanted to get a new marquee so I found a pic on the internet and had one custom made

[​IMG]

I also gutted the mechanics behind the coin slot, ghetto zip tied some buttons on there and configured MAME to "insert coin" when pressed :D

[​IMG]

Now with everything set, I need to mount the LCD somehow. I went to Home Depot and bought a silver metal thingy to sit the LCD on and some shelf thingies :)

[​IMG]

After putting velcro on the mount and shelf thingies, I placed the LCD in and it was sturdy and stable!

[​IMG]

To hide the unsightly surroundings of the LCD, I made the cover out of thick styrofoam paper

[​IMG]

And here is the finished product!! I also put in LED buttons for bling factor. The buttons look brighter than they should be since I took the video in the dark

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5tBE0dZBFqQ

Other pics

Handcuffs :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Tigerknee, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Mad props! How does your friend just have a "couple extra" lol

3. famicom

famicom Member

props, nice pics and detailed explanations. thanks for sharing!

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I love you bro Montana.

Nice setup! I like the drink holders on the sides. Nice touch.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

6. Classic

Classic Member

Are you God?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Awesome. Seems like it would take ME years to accomplish the same.

Why do you need 128Gb on an SSD? Isn't that a bit excessive on both the type of hard drive and the capacity?

Why not a "ghetto'er" solution and just do a cheaper hard drive, lower capacity, etc.? :confused:

Just wondering. Sounds like you'd save a bit more moolah. I'd also think about exposing the loading mechanism for later installing other games that can use the six-button arcade-type buttons.

OVERALL, a good job, though! It looks like it works fine! :cool:

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Pretty sweet. Was there a big advantage in using a PC rather than just sticking a PS3 or XBOX 360 in there?

9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

awsome! i wish i could get one for KOF

10. Tigerknee

Big time Street Fighter fanatic lol

11. Tigerknee

The SSD was to make the unit boot up faster :) I had a mechanical drive before but that took too long to boot up.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dang, makes me want to play sf2hdremix again

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Dude, that is so badass. Mad props. So do you have Mame on there with other games or is it only SF emulation?

14. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

That is just plain awesome. Love me some Street Fighter, but if I had one to do myself I'd make an NBA Showtime cabinet!

15. Tigerknee

Yes Mame is on there! If you watch the youtube video, you can see the list of most played. So this sucker plays KoF, Samurai Shodown, MK and even Killer Instinct!:cool:

16. Tigerknee

Mame is the big reason. Plus I would have no idea on how to rewire the sticks and buttons on this cabinet to work with 360/PS3

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

This is my next project for the house: 4 player Mame cabinet and system. I may have to come back to this thread for some tips and advice but your system looks great! You're lucky you got a (heavy) cabinet for free!

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I would honestly purchase something like this from somebody. I dont have the time to make something like this but i WANT WANT :D

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

pretty impressive. nice work.

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

incredible...nice work. jealous