1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to reclaim the #2 seed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Orange, Apr 11, 2015.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd love to play the Grizzlies under those circumstances. But the problem is I don't know how we wind up facing them in Round 1. Who has to win? Who has to lose? Plus we'd be without homecourt, right?

Well, now that I think about it. If the Grizzlies lose at Golden State and at home to Indiana, the Clippers lose at Phoenix(or at home to Denver, but that's unlikely), and the Spurs and Rockets win out, I believe we'd be 3rd and Memphis 6th.

Of course the downside there is San Antonio is the 2nd seed, gets the Mavs in Round 1, and will probably be waiting for us in Round 2 having won that series in 4 or 5 games.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I'd rather meet up with San Antonio in the second round than face Golden State.

The obvious preference would be us being 2nd and playing the Mavs. Another fortunate scenario would be us getting 3rd and playing the sixth seeded Grizzlies, who seem banged up.

Keep Clips in the fifth seed. They'll likely beat Portland and take on GS in the semifinals, which'll be must-see TV.

3. rocketsmetalspd

They will end 3rd since Clippers will not lose their last two games either. Clippers have home game against the Nuggets and end the season at the Suns. Spurs have the Suns at home and finish on the road with the Pelicans.

4. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

Only way we're ahead of Clippers with the 3rd seed is if the Clips lose one more game, which I don't see happening

5. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I'm just so tense... I can't take all these scenarios.

I just wanted to be #2 and destroy the Mavs.

6. iamtvi

iamtvi Member

From Matt Moore article on cbssports.com...

If Grizzlies, Rockets, Spurs, Clippers win out:

2. Spurs
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies (home court)
    6. Rockets
    7. Mavs

If Grizzlies, Rockets, Spurs win out, Clippers lose one

2. Spurs
    3. Grizzlies
    4. Blazers
    5. Rockets (home court)
    6. Clippers

If Grizzlies, Clippers, Rockets win out, Spurs lose one

2. Grizzlies
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Rockets (home court)
    6. Spurs

If Clippers, Spurs, Rockets win out, Grizzlies lose one

2. Spurs
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Rockets (home court)
    6. Grizzlies

If Clippers, Spurs, win out, Rockets, Grizzlies lose one

2. Spurs
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    6. Rockets

If Clippers win out, Spurs, Grizzlies, Rockets drop one

2. Clippers
    3. Spurs
    4. Blazers
    6. Rockets

If Rockets win out, Grizzlies, Clippers, Spurs drop one

2. Rockets
    3. Grizzlies
    4. Blazers
    5. Clippers (home court)
    6. Spurs

6 people like this.
  7. Mr. Dominant

So the only possibility of Rockets getting the 2 seed back is rockets winning out, and the grizz and clipps and spurs drop 1?

Can someone confirm this? How sure are you?

Thanks.

8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Only the Spurs and griz have to drop one. The clips can win out and we still get #2

9. iamtvi

iamtvi Member

10. Mr. Dominant

11. Mr. Dominant

NBA playoff races and magic numbers update for April 12, 2015

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...es-and-magic-numbers-update-for-april-12-2015

12. amaru

amaru Member

in other words, the best we can realistically do is 5

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We don't need the Clippers to lose to get to 2nd. Division will be first tie breaker, so if we are tied with them and have a better record than the Spurs and Grizzlies we will be 2nd granted we win out of course.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

SO

Spurs won tonight, they only have one game left against Pelicans, which is somewhat a loose-loose situation for the Rockets, or win win depending how you look at it. If the Spurs loose we can potentially move up (if we win out), but we also potentially loose our lottery pick from the Pelicans at the same time.

Grizzles are very likely to lose against Warriors, and with that I think there is a good chance we could take the 5th seed, with home court against the Blazers.

Clippers last two match ups are Nuggets and Suns, I think they easily take those.

Who has the tie breaker OKC or Pelicans? I think it's highly likely they tie, as OKC has a game against Blazers, and Pels have a game against Spurs, then both have games against timber wolves, so likely they both go 1-1.

IMO most likely/best cast scenario is we get 5th seed against Blazers with home court AND get lottery pick with OKC making the playoffs.

15. count_dough-ku

New Orleans has the tiebreaker over OKC. Right now, both teams are tied in the standings. What we need tomorrow is for the Thunder to win at home against the Blazers. The problem is they may have to do it without Westbrook. But on the flipside, Stotts has been sitting Aldridge and Batum occasionally(he did it last Monday at Brooklyn) and Portland is locked into 4th without homecourt, so they literally have nothing to play for.

So if OKC wins, then New Orleans has to win at home on Wednesday regardless of whether or not they beat Minnesota tomorrow. And that helps us since their opponent is the Spurs.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

MAN! This is such a crazy end of the season race with our seeding and our Pelican pick.

Grizzles vs Warriors tomorrow tonight will be a big, is there any news on whether or Warriors will be resting players? I know they rested Curry/Thompson/Bogut and Iggy vs Denver.

17. count_dough-ku

No news yet. But based on Kerr's comments, he's not happy with the Warriors' play lately with the 2 straight defeats at San Antonio and New Orleans and close win over the T'Wolves at home yesterday. So odds are he's not gonna rest a bunch of guys in their last 2 games. Maybe they'll all play.

Let's hope he doesn't rest anyone. We need the Grizzlies to drop that game, cuz I don't want it all to come down to the final day of the season.

18. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

praying that golden state doesn't rest guys tomorrow night...

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I must be the only dude on here who doesn't want the 5 seed. I'd rather have 6. I don't want our absolute best case scenario to be getting smacked around by Golden State.

20. nemac

nemac Member

That's admitting defeat. Might as well face em early if a smack down is inevitable. Would rather lose to possible eventual champ in 2nd then not get to 2nd.