1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to make the all star game weekend better

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lil Lee, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

This is just my take on an event or something the nba can do to make all star weekend more appealing.

#1: After seeing all this Michael Jordan stuff this weekend and just how competitive he is, imagine how great it would be to actually have him be part of an event. We'v'e heard Byron Russell claiming he can beat Jordan right now, and MJ still clowns Russell today for the bulls/jazz series from years ago . How about an MJ vs Byron Russell one-on-one game. I'm sure MJ would win easlly, but I'd like to see Byron Russell get his chance for redemption. If not russell, then another player, like reggie miller or john starks. If MJ doesn't care to partake (which wouldn't surprise me), insert another great player.

Dunk contest: Since today's great superstars choose to not get involved, forget them! How about old nba greats compete in a slam dunk contest. Jordan and Dominique Wilkins claim they still can dunk. How about MJ, Wilkins, Dr. J, and whomever else that claim they can still dunk, compete it out! Sure, they probably won't be these amazing dunks , but I believe you'd get more hype from these greats alone compared to the players from recent years.

ALL STAR GAME: (Hall of famers from all west vs east)

WEST TEAM (such as olajuwon, drexler, barkley, robinson, shaq, etc)
    vs
    EAST TEAM (ewing, miller, MJ, pippen, bird, dr. j, etc)

It can be any hall of famers representing their old team and conference.

Just a few of my opinions. I'm sure the likelihood of something like this ever happening due to age and health is very unlikely, but I'm sure some folks may be down, especially the ones that are still in decent shape. At least Shaq, Webber, Kenny Smith, Reggie Miller,Steve kerr, or these other guys that just recently retired. If something like this has already been mentioned, my apologies.

Thoughts?

2. VanityHalfBlack

Have the members of Clutchfans be in it instead

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Especially those who participated in this silly nofap feb. All those sexual tension bursting out.

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

After last night: how about some COMPETITION!!!!!!

5. Lil Lee

Rising stars was awful! They should get rid of it, and add in one of my ideas. LOL

6. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

These are the worst suggestions I've ever seen. You basically want the current ASG to be replaced by old stars on nothing but hype alone. Then when the event actually starts you really see how exciting a bunch of old retired NBA players are.

Clyde Drexler can't even dunk in a celebrity game, what makes you think he can dunk in a dunk contest?

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Go back to rookies vs sophomores.

8. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

So basically you just want to watch a bunch of old NBA players play, who are wayy out of shape. (if you saw Drexler last night)

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ditto ch0c0b0fr34k & BmwM3

So you want old timers/HOFer weekend instead of All-Star weekend?

I'm sure AS weekend could use some improvements but I'm not sure that is it.

10. Lil Lee

I'm not saying using all these options, because then yeah it would be simply just a retired all star game. Just use one of the ideas to substitute for either The Rising stars challenge or dunk contest.

For example: Hall of fame all star game instead of rising challenges OR Hall of fame dunk contest instead of your current nba dunk contest.

Sure drexler may not be able to dunk, but Jordan, Wilkins, and Dr. J (I think) claim they still can. Let's see what they got

11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Number one, I know that this game doesn't mean much to them as it has nothing to do with their team's records and there is always the fear of injury, but they should play the all-star game with pride and take the game seriously. If they think that fan service is fancy alley oops and no defense, they're mistaken. We want to see a tough competitive game. Show us what kind of ball the best players on the planet can really play. That's what I want to see. These days, the All Star game has become a joke. I wish they'd all bring it.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Make them play HORSE, do better and more fun events we can see, and a better slam dunk contest. Make Lebron, Kobe and other superstars enter the slam dunk contest. Not scrubs.

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Drop east vs west and lets see the U.S versus the World.

14. Lil Lee

That's the thing. Current NBA players aren't wanting to enter the dunk contest anymore and you can't just make them do it.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

NBA bringing in old stars to get ratings? This isn't the WWE.

16. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Add an one on one competition, and make it rookies v. sophomores. You would think that by saying this is for charity, the players would actually put some more effort in it.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

a one-on-one elimination tournament would be awesome

the only part of the Rising Stars game worth watching was the battle between Kyrie and Knight

TrueHoop suggest a Fastest Man With The Ball competition

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/54744/who-is-the-fastest-player-with-the-ball

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

There isn't much you can do if people are looking for combativeness.

They definitely should drop team shaq vs. team charles and go back to rookies vs. soph.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Have the All Stars lined up in center court. Fans pick 2 captains and they take turns picking players for their teams like in the playground. Then have the players on the losing team give up half of their salaries for that year. Or have the players on the losing team spend 3/4 of their summer break doing NBA Cares work. Or fight to the death in a cage match.

20. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]