1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to get rid of wasps

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’m so damn sick of the city. I need to get back to the country.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ive never had a wasp bother me and they seem to be everywhere in my backyard. They seem to like the dogwood bushes....nesting in them. I was out trimming bushes today and, apparently, was disturbing them. They just flew around and did nothing. I guess it depends on the type of wasp. That said...when they do build up a decent size nest...I use the long distance spray. Yellow jackets also just fly around like p*****s and don’t sting me when disturbed a little bit. What am I doing wrong? Sting me, b****es!

Jontro likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Those are more fun, but the problem with them is that you have to be there when the wasps are there and more just keep coming. With a spray, it keeps on killing for weeks as well as returning wasps and offspring when you're not there. But... if you hate sprays, you hate sprays. I still want to try the soda bottle trap, but my wasp problem isn't too much of a problem.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yall covered wasps pretty good, but yall got anything on MILLIPEDES?

[​IMG]

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm like that for spiders. My mother told me in an impressionable moment that spiders are good to have around. I used to like to just watch them operate when I was a kid. Now, when the wife or kids start screaming about a spider, I'll relocate it but I won't kill it. Insects, on the other hand, get whacked. Especially wasps. I'll go around the yard a couple times a summer looking for and poisoning nests.

Buck Turgidson, Jontro and CCity Zero like this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

arkoe, Corrosion and donkeypunch like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Is there a backstory to this?

8. Rashmon

Random gif search on aerosol flamethrower. I liked this one. Caption was something like "store owner fends off robber with..."

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

#WaspLivesMatter

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just closed on a new house. Thank jebus I haven’t sold my old house yet. When we did our walkthrough there were 50+ dead wasps and multiple alive. Red tree wasps, paper wasps, yellow jackets. It was like a horror movie.

Exterminator came and I also bug bombed the inside…. Next day, 50+ dead wasps again and about 5 living ones.

I lit a fire in the chimneys tonight, we have 2 so maybe there were multiple nests? A few dead ones fell when I opened the flues. Hopefully that solves it. If not idk what I’m going to do. Burn the house down? I ****ing hate these assholes.

GRENDEL and Squirtle like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Buck Turgidson and CCity Zero like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's a good omen

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s probably a nest somewhere in the chimney. Those things will squeeze their way through the flue and into the house at random intervals. I used to walk home to one flying around every day. The exterminator should be able to knock that out for you.

CCorn likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The queens will find a place to hide and hibernate when it hits a certain temperature....then they wake up when it gets warm again. Unfortunately for a lot of people, they hide in our attics and groggily go towards the light source and somehow come out inside the house. It happened after the last cold snap then warm front, I killed 10 wasps in a week. I've never actually seen them come out anywhere, I just usually hear the screaming when they are spotted inside and I'm called to kill them with my size 12 flip-flop. The fun part is that the family runs away and has no clue where it went. At least the little kids stopped trying to pick them up.

Pro-tip: be careful smacking them too hard on windows.

arkoe and CCorn like this.
  15. Rashmon

Bring in some murder hornets; they hate wasps.

boomboom and Squirtle like this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree with you, I use brake cleaner regularly for car stuff but not like this.

What's really interesting is there's 2 formulas of brake cleaner - chlorinated (which has tetrachloroethylene and is banned in California so it's the strong stuff) - ie it cleans better but has dangers mentioned in article and smells a little like chlorine vs non-chlorinated - no tetrachloroethylene - but it's still very strong and probably not something you want used around nature/food sources etc.

Anyway, if someone is welding/working around a flame and uses the chlorinated version it's not good, I don't recommend using the non-chlorinated version when working around a flame but it's probably better vs the chlorinated one (assuming it was used properly).

Tl;Dr on a side note... I have actually had to tell people not to use brake cleaner on their hands... Yeah it works... , but it also is absorbed through the skin and isn't worth the long term health issues.

Squirtle and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Quick update

I still have a wasp problem, looks like while the house was vacant a nest was made in my AC ducts + nests in both chimneys.

Exterminator was able to get the ones in the ducts, but I’ve been waiting on a chimney sweep to come clean out the nests in the chimneys. Lighting a fire is a temporary fix, but after a few days they would always come back.

Anyways after countless Google searches I found that they don’t like the mix of clove, geranium, and lemon grass essential oils. I put together the concoction in a spray bottle with water and sprayed in the fireplace around the flue and haven’t seen any in 2 days… which is sadly a record here. I’m going to rub down a log in the oils this weekend and start a fire.

Hopefully this can keep them away until the chimney sweep can make it.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wouldnt the heat and smoke clear them out of the chimney?

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

It does but the nests are still there and they will come back to the nest after a few days.