1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how to get rid of lizards?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jamma34, Aug 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

so i moved into an apartment thats more or less literally cut out of the forest. as soon as i walk out the trees start within about 3-5 feet of the door. we've got an outside storage closet that we've been scared to open cuz we always see lizards running in there.

anyone know of an effective way to get rid of them? the apt office said theres "nothing they can do" about it. pest control comes once a week but it doesnt do anything, i got some heavy duty pest stuff at wal mart to try to keep spiders etc away. but anyone got ideas on lizards? cannot stand the thought of one going into the house, got a phobia :(

and do they go away during winter time? anyone with ideas please let me know, they freak me the heck out every time im coming home, just seein one makes my skin crawl.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

C'mon! We used to hang them from our ears as earrings when we were kids!

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

Lizards are cool. They eat all the other bugs. :cool:

Get over your phobia

4. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

i live in new mexico and we have a lot of them also ... one trick that's worked for me is to put broken egg shells around as lizards have a natural fear of chickens... also some people use those sticky trays that can catch mice but i've never tried... hope this helps

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

What kind are they?

green ones - these are every where around my house

green ones with a dorsal fin starting on the top of their head and going down its back to its tail. - I rarely see these and when I do they are on my azaleas bushes. I've only seen one or two this year but last year I saw quite a few. That was also the first time I've ever seen them.

or the funky peach colored ones - I have these by my front door.

6. Two Sandwiches

Are you sure those aren't the same kind of lizards? They do blend in with things, like Chameleons....

7. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yeah, put egg shells around the perimeter, which will attract snakes, which will eat the lizards. "Problem" solved. :D

You may as well move. They won't hurt you though.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

They are not the same. We mostly have garden lizards and Mediterranean Geckos around Houston. I have never heard of anyone having a real problem with these. There are a few other types but they are rarely seen or you have to look for them.

Anolis carolinensis (Green Anole)
    Anolis sagrei (Brown Anole)

[​IMG]

Mediterranean Gecko (they come out at night and hang out around lights that attract bugs)

[​IMG]

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/lizards/hemidactylus.turcicus.html

jamma34, are these the ones you are talking about? If so, there is nothing to worry about. In fact I really like them around my house. But if you really want to get rid of them (but I don't see why, they are harmless), try getting a cat.

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

Do they look like this?

[​IMG]

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to play with lizards until one latched on to my finger. While I was in shock, I don't remember if it hurt or not. The ol' Houston Summers.

Do lizard bites hurt?

12. Two Sandwiches

Not at all. They're actually quite fun creatures to play with and watch.

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't think they are the same. The ones with the dorsal fin look just like the regular green ones except they have a thick fin that sticks up a 1/4 of an inch off their body.

The funky peach ones are nasty looking. The first time I saw one was when I was kid. It was just before school and it was in my bathroom. My mom drove me to school like she did every morning. We stopped at Jack n Box and I got my ham and cheese sandwich like always did. I bit into it and the only thing I could think of was that funky lizard. It was the same color. I haven't had a Jack n Box ham and cheese since.

I'm sure they (peach ones) are out there now. I'll try to get good picture and post it.

Edit: MR. MEOWGI posted pic of the green ones and the funky ones.

#13 Blatz, Aug 28, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  14. micah1j

micah1j Member

No.

[​IMG]

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Those green lizards are good. They eat a bunch of bugs and keep spiders and things away.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I saw something freaky the other day. I was in my garage and saw a WHITE lizard. I knew that they could change color, but I thought it was just shades of brown and green. This SOB was on my garage wall, which is white, and turned the same color.

17. Man

Man Contributing Member

What are the tiny ones called? Gnewts or salamanders?

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Don't get rid of em. Lizards are clean and they are good luck.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Lizards eat mosquituos which is a good enough reason to keep them around. :)

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Anoles are harmless, and rarely get inside the house, by choice. They prefer the heat. Yes, they can change from brown to green and back again.....but they do not turn white. Heck, you can buy these things at pet stores. You have nothing to worry about.

I think the "white" lizard you saw was a Med. Gecko. Their coloring can range from shades of pink, light brown to almost white. They have been known to get into homes...but they are also harmless and will eat other pests, including roaches.

It could also be a skink. They resemble a snake (slick, shiny looking skin with very small legs and a long tail), and they are very fast.

In any case, I know of no way to get rid of them, other than opening your storage closet often. The more human activity, the less apt they are to come around.