1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to Fix Dunk Contest?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shovel Face, Feb 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Everyone of those dunks was better than anything in the dunk contest this year.

2. durvasa

durvasa Member

I don't think anything can save it. There's only so many ways to dunk a basketball, and unless players make an evolutionary leap in athletic ability or stars are participating we're not going to see a significant revival.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

LeBron and Wade ruined it by not participating when they were young. In the past, all of the top young players participated in the dunk contest, VC, T-Mac, Kobe, Francis, etc.

Now that LeBron/Wade for whatever reason passed it up, the example has been set, the new studs coming into the league won't feel the need to be in it. The NBA then has to go to mediocre athletes just to fill up the spots.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I want to see Landry in it. I want to see Wade, LeBron, and some power dunkers. I want to see Melo do his thing, and Andre defend his crown. You must be this tall to enter this contest.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I disagree. That's like saying I don't think anything can save basketball games. You can only get points so many ways by dunking it, drawing fouls, or shooting it.

Put out the best athletes and they will compete against each other to prove they are the best. Roy should have competed against Durant and Oden. I agree with the earlier post about LeBron, Wade, and Melo ruining it.

6. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Member

2011 dunk contest champ Yao Ming.

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Member

That sir, is an awesome idea. +1 rep for you.

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

There's a lot more going on in a basketball game than a dunk contest. I don't agree with that comparison.

9. Mr. Space City

wade already said he is not a dunk contest dunker.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Only busting it out every three-to-five years would make it more prestigious and attract more of the big names.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Yea, but my point was that the games are gonna suck if the athletes don't compete (like the asg). The novelty has worn off, and the best of the best have to pick up the slack. It starts with the Wade's, the Kobe's, and the LeBron's. If they don't play hard, don't expect Zach Randolph to.

Put out the best players in the dunk competition. I want to see LeBron in it, and I want to hear LeBron say he's coming to take it.

If it doesn't happen, expect the current losing trends for the NBA to continue.

12. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

I agree. The participants are trying to do what hasn't been done before, but the degree of difficulty is so much, they just settle for something we've seen, or is simple to their standards.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Dunk Olympics? Its the only way really with pro athletes.

MLB Home Run Derby is the only skills competition worth a darn. Then the 3 point contest. All the other competitions are athletes noticably going 3-quarter/half speed. NFL QB Challenge was cool but even that and the other festivities you can show on tape delay, not live in prime time

14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Make this guy a required prop.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Uprising

Uprising Member

True dat. I didn't watch any of it this year. Too boring, better things to do with my time.

16. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

and james white

17. lmaballa

lmaballa Rookie

Cupcake lol

18. lmaballa

lmaballa Rookie

And put Yao Ming is the dunkest. But for real thoug, could you picture Yao in the dunk contest trying to do some off the glass alley or something ... lmao

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Make them defend each other's dunk.

Uncontested dunks just aren't cool anymore.

20. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

have every dunk involve fire, or they could just get rid of it cause it's sucked for about 10yrs now!