1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to do moves in real games?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oldgunrules, May 28, 2015.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

One thing I'll say about working in the post is that it isn't all about just overpowering a guy with your strength. You have to keep the defender off balance. They shouldn't know what you're about to do. When I first started posting people up, I would just get low and use my left shoulder and hip to back them down. These days, the handle helps out a lot with it. I'll get low and take space by moving my left foot closer to the basket, then I'll even out by almost looking like I'm going to spin over my right shoulder to get my right foot in closer. Think of how McGrady would post up. His defender would be so off balance because he wasn't sure if he would take the right-handed jump hook, or whether he would spin over the left shoulder and drive hard, or if he would spin back over the right shoulder. You have to learn to read the defense and take what they give you. Just talking back to the basket here, but facing up presents a lot of opportunity, as well, especially if the defense thinks you'll pass the ball.

2. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Wow, lots of good info here! Thanks a bunch. Wish I posted it earlier.

I think my head is telling me to keep trying, but my body is saying maybe hetpartner is right. Although I'm a good rebounder, the "paint job" as a scorer was never my thing. At my age probably it'll probably never be.

The moves and counter moves is all good. But to me learning them and using them are like playing an instrument. Just knowing the notes and being able to do a few scales doesn't mean you can play real music with it. You have to be able to connect the notes nicely. This is where I just can't fckin do it any more. I've watched the good post players play. I think they are like what jcee15 said. They are just reacting to what the defenders give them. Their moves come so natural to them that they don't have to think. Well I bet they do think, but only at high levels in terms of how to get the ball in the basket. Not like guys like me who have to worry about how to move feet, angle the body and mechanical stuff like that. Those are the things I should've learned when I was young. But heck I chose to play soccer instead:mad:

Hey Mr. Clutch, I'm getting to appreciate what DH is going through everyday ;)

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

One of the biggest things for both offensive and defensive players: learn to enjoy and play with physical contact. A lot of people play like theyre in a china shop. Once you learn to not shy away from contact, executing moves with a defender seems less daunting.

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Reading this thread makes me want to play some pick-up.

5. SK34

SK34 Member

Ummmm..... Soccer helps with footwork and angles.....

6. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Not sure how much you know both sports but, as someone who has experienced both I can tell you that the offensive footwork used in soccer is COMPLETELY different from that in basketball. In soccer there is no such thing as "travel", so you can move your body and feet anyway you want. But in basketball you have to dribble the ball with you, your hands and feet motions must be in sync. Also, the fake moves in soccer are very limited compared to basketball. You can swing your body sideways a little bit, that's about it. Only the most advanced players can do more than that. But in basketball you can turn your body 180, 270 or even 360 degrees in a fake motion. Finally, soccer is played mostly in 2 dimensional space. There is a little bit up and down, but that's nothing compared to basketball which is totally a 3 dimensional game. Took me for ever to get used to thinking in the 3rd dimension when I first switched. But I agree there is some similarity in defensive footwork. The lateral motions in turning, cutting off the driving lane etc are almost the same.

7. hmurry5

hmurry5 Member

Haha I was thinking the same

8. SK34

SK34 Member

9. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

I was just talking about "footwork". In terms of overall strategy, yes, there are things that basketball players can borrow from soccer. I can tell when Nash made those slick "cut passes" because that's what you do in soccer all the time.

But some soccer habits are actually bad for basketball. For example, setting screens. There is no such thing as setting a screen in soccer. The field is too big for any of that. Unless in deal ball situations they rarely stand there trying to block someone. That's completely useless. So "moving without the ball" is something a soccer player must always do. When I started play basketball I had a hard time understanding that I needed to set a screen for my guy. And I got called moving screen tons of times because my soccer habit kept telling me to move;)

10. SK34

SK34 Member

Hakeem and Kobes post game was good because of footwork from soccer. All I'm saying is soccer should help with footwork and angles. Which I'm not wrong about. On top of that, you have to practice your skills and develop them.

It's all related. You can learn different things from different sports. You still have to go practice other skills from basketball for them to work together.

Neither of us are wrong. It's all perspective.