1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to beat the Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, May 18, 2015.

1. rocks123

rocks123 Member

transition defense is the key. In the Dallas series I'm always annoyed when Rockets walk or jog going on their defensive assignment because that wont work against the Warriors. (Yup i was thinking that way ahead). They like to push the ball even on made basket.

2. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I like it.

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

My warriors strategy:
    1. Let Curry go bananas' it takes energy handling the ball and running the offense
    2. Swith up the defense on Curry at times (Swith PnR, trap, force him to his left hand, and go over the PnR)
    3. Force the offense to the left side of the floor making the offense come back to the right hand to shoot, which makes it easier to defend.
    4. Run Curry and Klay into as many picks as you can when we're on offensie, this tires out jump shooters
    5. Matches up are critical
    a. Curry - Terry (the high PnR wil JET gives him easy foul line jumpers that he drills)
    b. Klay - Ariza (Ariza can slow him down)
    c. Harden - Barnes (James must focus on Barnes or he will get going)
    d. Smoove - Draymond (Smoove must dominate him on the boards and get in his face on D)
    e. D12 - Bogut, must use his athleticism to dominate on the boards

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Klay Thompson is pretty much JJ Redick on steroids. Basically has the same game but is better in all aspects of it.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

One thing that's interesting is Dwight just got the better Deandre Jordan who probably most feel like is the best and most dominate center in the NBA. Compared to DJ, Bogut should be a cake walk. Earlier in the year when the two faced off, Howard was hurt and we all know by now he doesn't play at 100% during the season. Now that's he just come off of a battle with Deandre, playing someone like Bogut is a gift.

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

However, we still need to remember that we only score 28% of the time that we post up D12. Keep running the high PnR and throw it into D12 when he has deep post position.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it does seem like we have the personnel to do what Memphis wanted to do but couldn't

they did not have shooters, we do

as others have said, keep Ariza on Thompson and let Curry get his

Hacking Bogut is an intriguing idea. Has anyone done that to them all year? It could be very disruptive if they are not used to it. They feed off their crowd with transition threes. Hacking Bogut would put a stop to those runs and make it harder for their shooters to get a rhythm.

Also, does anyone else feel Capella could be an x-factor in this series?

#47 Commodore, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I love the idea of hacking Bogut. Maybe this series we actually see this take place

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Heart and effort, low turnovers...finals

10. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Honesty i dont see a way we can win. I dont see anyone beating them unfortunately. I would be happy if we dont get swept in embarrassing fashion.

#50 ZNB, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

In my opinion the season is already a success. I think that's one thing we have going for us, so no pressure here, stay loose, bring hustle, effort and heart.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Bogut is a much larger player to move around in the paint than DJ. Like Matt Bullard says, "hes got a lot of sands in his pants". Their will be a lot more pushing and fatigue for Dwight in the paint. Our PF's, especially Smith, need to get Bogut constantly moving in the paint so he can't get position to box out Dwight without doing much work.

I like the set we ran against Dallas, let's see if Bogut/Barnes can stop the JSmoove/Dwight pick and roll.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think, eventually, the Rockets will have to play Harden/Brewer/Ariza on the wings for most of the series. As much Terry brings with his shooting and Pablo with his helter skelter defense, neither one can just keep up with Curry. You can't stop Steph but you need to make him work for his points. Put Harden on Barnes, Brewer on Curry and Ariza on Thompson.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I had this thought myself this morning while trying to think of how we would match up against GSW. It's far from ideal, but given our personnel I don't know that we have any other option.

15. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Less pressure on our bigs to defend a go to big guy which is a good thing , Defend the pick and rolls or switching up schemes , stay on Klay and Steph , and put pressure on the warriors to defend in the paint with our Bigs

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is only one way to beat the Warriors.

It is much easier said then done.

Stop Curry from penetrating and dishing. Stop them all from penetrating. To do that you have to play nasty D up top. Physical relentless D. Trap, doubles, whatever. Bump Curry and co constantly. Wear them down physically and emotionally.

It won't happen in game one. But it needs to start there.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I feel like this thread mirrors all previous threads we've started on how to beat the Warriors. Honestly, we need to acknowledge the Warriors are a GREAT TEAM and they have a DEEP DEEP bench that can carry the load. On paper and on the court, they will provide much headache for us which is why EVERYONE is predicting a sweep.

Now, what we didn't have earlier in the season was team chemistry (due to all the injuries) and confidence/momentum. You can't underestimate that. We attack the paint HARD with our size. We got Howard, Smith and Jones. These three can provide tons of match-up headaches for the Warriors. This is the key we must explore in order to really have a chance of advancing. ATTACK THE PAINT and play solid transition defense. Curry and Thompson will get theirs. But just make sure we have something to answer.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually I think the Rockets need to do some posting up this game. The Warriors like to get up and down, control the pace, and run.

If we can establish a half court game with some post ups then we can at least disrupt their rhythm a bit. The challenge is to not totally disrupt our own rhythm which is also to get up and down the court, and run.

20. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Must. Rebound. Draymond Green typically out-rebounds Bogut. Control the boards, control the paint, limit the cast, and we got this