1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

How the Dallas Mavericks tried to persuade Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hizzobbes, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Hells no bro. That video was lame no matter who you insert:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

well now i know why dwight did NOT choose dallas. that video was horrendous.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just want to comment that it's not the video itself that's the issue, but rather the context. If Dallas had Dirk and Jason Kidd in their primes, this video would be a perfect icing on the cake after a serious presentation regarding the benefits of a Dirk/Howrd/Kidd trio and their odds of winning championships.

But any reasonable person with basketball knowledge would roll their eyes at the idea of an old, broken down Dirk and Howard being able to win multiple championships.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

.....but..but...but didn't you see all of the animated championship banners that they had in the video?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Cuban was going to get defensive about the criticism of this video, then why the hell did he allow this to be let outside of the organization for the world to see?

6. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Cool gfx but personally not the kind of material to get a superstar to join a team.

7. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Geez what an embarrassment. You would think Mr. Cuban would spend a little more money on his production budget. This looks like they threw it together in after effects in like 2 days.

8. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Oh. Wow.

I just watched the video finally.

That entire thing was simply weird. Are they trying to recruit a 12-year old? IDK the context; it might have been a lighthearted moment, but if this was even a small part of their pitch you have to question someone's judgement here. I feel embarrassed for anyone in the Mavs organization who thought it was a good idea to produce and show that thing.

What a gross miscalculation. It had to be a huge WTF moment when they showed it to Howard.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I could see that appealing to an 18 or 22 year old Dwight, but if that was used as any sort of primary recruiting tool other than Cuban having to take a bathroom break and saying "here, check out this video we made and I'll be right back" I am embarrassed for them.

10. onreego

onreego Member

The song in there was way off. Should have been this...

"Butterfly in the sky
    I can go twice as high
    Take a look
    It's in a book
    A Reading Rainbow

I can go anywhere
    Friends to know
    And ways to grow
    A Reading Rainbow

I can be anything
    Take a look
    It's in a book
    A Reading Rainbow
    A Reading Rainbow"

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Rockets did it the right way.

Address winning first and foremost.

Teams like LAL and Dallas were trying to market to the old Dwight. Billboards, lame cartoon vids, etc.

He saw Hakeem. He saw guys that won it all in Houston and most importantly, he valued winning over anything else.

12. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

I doubt it ,probably Kevin did it

13. New Era Acolyte

Yeeeeeech. :eek:

Corny at best, and I don't see how any grown man wouldn't have been a little insulted by that.

"Global domination." So is Dwight supposed to be Superman or Zod?

14. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

I picture it going down like this:

"....Global Domination" (video ends)

4 seconds of silence...

Dwight lets out an awkward, extended fart, laughs & peaces out