1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watch the video, he compares the experience of West Indian blacks and American blacks in the same geographic locations in the U.S., as he says, it's almost like a controlled experiment. don't shoot the messenger

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So are you saying the 1000% gap between median households is an outcome of inherent properties of the two races?

Is that your claim?

And I doubt it's anywhere near what constitutes a controlled experiment in social science academia that accounts for all confounding factors.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

as far as I know I haven't made any "claim"

4. fchowd0311

That is what I'm asking. Do you have a position in this? Do you believe either a 1000% wealth gap between median households of the two races is a consequence of systemic racism or white Americans inherently being 10x more talented at accumulating wealth due to inherent trait differences between the two races?

#784 fchowd0311, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't have a position on this. I believe systemic racism is a real thing, yes; but I also believe that its effects can and have been overstated without evidence. I appreciate Hughes's thoughtful comments on the subject.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You mean Critical Race Theory.....that is exactly what that is.

DD

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have disproved this myth. The gap in wealth was not that wide in the thirties. Most of the country was poor

Blacks gained more in employment in the fifties

Third option. Destruction of black family is why blacks have not kept up

Now I have backed up my argument with numbers in other threads. You have not backed up anything

The biggest myth is that whites had wealth prior the fifties

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@fchowd0311

You giving @Os Trigonum only those two options of the growing wealth gap is why these issues don't get solved in discussions. Either you agree with me or youa racist. That just makes you an ******* that is no better than guys like bobbythegreat

JumpMan likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Until bleeding hearts address the pitifulness of the black family nothing will change about nothing

The black family structure has declined in the last fifty years

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Chicago's mayor:

http://theglitteringeye.com/no-its-because-shes-a-weak-mayor/

No, It’s Because She’s a Weak Mayor
    Dave Schuler July 1, 2021

At the Chicago Tribune Gregory Platt reports that Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot attributes the criticism she’s receiving to her race and gender:

Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Tuesday night that “about 99%” of the criticism she receives over her temperament is due to the fact she’s a Black woman.

The mayor made the comment during an interview on WTTW-Ch. 11 after being asked about questions people have raised over temperament and how she reacts to criticism. The mayor has been known to be tough on staff and confrontational with critics, contributing to significant staff turnover.

When asked how much of the criticism has to do with the fact she’s a Black woman, Lightfoot said, “About 99%.”

“Look at my predecessors. Did people say that Rich Daley held tea sessions with people that he (disagreed with)? Rahm Emanuel was a polite guy who was a uniter? No,” Lightfoot said. “Women and people of color are always held to a different standard. I understand that, I’ve known that my whole life.”

I accept that’s what she believes. That is what it means to have been radicalized. Once radicalized you attribute every bad thing that comes your way to whatever it is you have been radicalized on. In Mayor Lightfoot’s case it is race and gender. It is to be expected under the circumstances that she attributes criticism to being black and a woman.

But she’s wrong. Any mayor who used the Chicago Police to disperse protesters at her home but allowing Michigan Avenue to be sacked would have been criticized. Any more Under whose tenure the number of homicides (and carjackings) soared would have been criticized.

There is a lesson here but I doubt it will be taken. Chicago can have a black woman mayor but choose carefully. I don’t believe that all black women have been radicalized with respect to race and gender. Were that to be the case Chicago should not have a black female mayor. It should not have a radical mayor. Radicalization impedes your ability to govern well. You will inevitably make bad choices for the wrong reasons.

Mayor Lightfoot was elected mayor for three reasons:
    1. Not to raise taxes.
    2. To improve the Chicago Police Force.
    3. Not to be Toni Preckwinkle.
    She has only succeeded at the last. Otherwise she is a failure as a mayor.

tinman likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

It's the natural logical deduction. If you don't believe systemic racism was at play that created the modern predicament that the median white family has 1000% more wealth than the median black family, the only other two conclusions is that it's all attributed to white people being that much more talented and harder working than black families inherently or it's a combination of both with some elements of systemic racism and some elements of inherent white supuroirity. So the most gracious framing where one would believe some systemic racism is at play still would believe there still is an element where it's partly because the white race is Inherently better at least when it comes to working and accumulating wealth.

So it's a situation where if you don't believe it's 100% systemic racism at play, you have to then believe it has to partially do with some natural element of the white and black race.

#791 fchowd0311, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#792 tinman, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There aren't only two options. You're saying its natural. Because the problem lies in the black home doesn't mean its "natural ".

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just telling it like it is.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@fchowd0311

67% of black children are borto single parent households

25% of white kids

Those are facts. Because it doesn't fit your logic you try a weak ass accusation that a fact is racist

Weak sauce. Be a man

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

67% of black children are not borto.

London'sBurning likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to see racism as merely the color of the skin, sure. But that's not what systemic racism is. In fact, if that's his example it shows he doesn't even understand the concept.

I'm curious as to whether you believe it exists or not.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I've already said I "believe" systemic racism exists

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

The issues you imply with "the black home" is a symptom of the economic disparity. That's the point. You are listing symptoms and labeling them as causes. It's like saying a cough is the reason for HIV rather a cough being a symptom of HIV.

If the symptom of "the black home" isn't from economic disparity as a consequence of systemic racism or isn't the ONLY reason, then the only logical claim is that inherent natural traits of the races are part of the reason or the only reason.