1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro blacks had a smaller home ownership gap in the 30s. Then times got better for everyone in the 50s

You're saying racism increased after the 30s and 50s

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You literally are regurgitating the same exact statement and not addressing anything I typed.

JayGoogle and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know more about it than you do.

4. fchowd0311

I see you have inner conflict.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Well I am glad to learn that every single american can make enough to live and raise their children without killing themselves at work and with enough time to get involved in their education.
    What a paradise. Good for you all.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Answer the question. Is your point racism increased after the 30s and 50s?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You also have no idea how much construction workers make apparently

8. fchowd0311

No. I never made that claim. I'm claiming that white families disproportionately compared to Black families got most of their property during the cheapest era of modern real estate where today that real estate is worth 4-6 times their original value which results in their offspring being handed down that wealth allowing them an easier time to seek out their own home ownership. It's called da chain reaction.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Oh so you are saying that an untrained construction worker makes such good money?

Well even better for you. Now I am jealous. Maybe I should move there and lay bricks and make so much money.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

But is that a race thing or a class thing? The issue is more about social mobility than anything else. It's hard for poor people to invest in education when they can barely deal with paying for rent or feeding their family. They also have to deal with social circumstances and distractions like family members and friends dragging them down. However, this isn't isolated to any particular race. This affects poor black, hispanic and whites.

I guess the question is why Asians seem to break this mold and succeed. There are lots of reasons but it boils down to the fact that the US mostly gets the cream of the crop Asians with strong family units that sacrifice for each other. However, its not rosy for all Asians. Asians in the US, have the highest income disparity between rich and poor. Very little middle of the road Asians. relatively.

jiggyfly and malakas like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Interestingly I haven't connected education with home ownership.

FYI a big percentage of middle class europeans don't own their house. They live on rent. University graduates with PHDs who rent houses in the suburbs with pools and huge garden own two new cars and can afford to take every year 3 weeks summer holidays in the Med.
    It varies from country to country like almost no Swiss owns their own house.

But that isn't a sign of poverty. Because they pay rent doesn't mean they don't help with the education of their children in the best possible unis.
    Just owning a house isn't that important. I guess that's a big difference. Home ownership and education have nothing to do with each other.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes they do. I work with these guys.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you are a legal citizen willing to work in construction in the United States, you get paid well. If you are articulate and friendly, you can make a lot of money. It's just back breaking work.

malakas likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The housing gap was smaller in the 30s. It has decreased. Black people had more comparable wealth in the 30's. I'm directly contradicting your point with a source. Of course blacks didn't have the same amount but they had a more comparable amount in more racist times

IOW they had a better start than you're saying

15. malakas

malakas Member

It isn't a race thing.
    If anyone is educated chances are that they will have understood the value of education and try to raise their children highlighting the importance of education.
    If anyone is illiterate chances are that they will not highlight the importance of education to their children. OR even if they try to do, they will be hardly equipped to contribute and get really involved in their kids education. Or what example they will give to their children.

Where race is involved is what % of any race in america is educated. They don't have to be doctors or lawyers but how about high school dropouts? And fuctional illiteracy? Is it the same for all races?
    If one race in america is disproponately functional illiterate then why wonder if their children fail to be educated at the same rate as other races?

And I don't even take into account the cost of college in america.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are ignoring the context. In the 30s white families were losing their homes at unheard of and unmatched levels. So the gap would naturally decrease. Do you get it? Whites also weren't able to buy new homes at the same rate because of the great depression.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Here unless you work stone or are under a reknown crew an untrained constuction doesn't get paid well. It's better to go be an olive picker.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So you were referring to the Great Depression. Thanks. I guess blacks were immune to that?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many African-Americans didn't have as much to lose. So when those that have are losing at a greater rate, the gap decreases.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Source!?