1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good, compelling and a little biased video. As some others have said, situations have narrowed over the past few decades. Still, it's an uphill battle for minorities, especially for black folks.

You're right. No civilization, ever, has been dirt poor and put much time/effort/resources into social services and self-improvement. They're just trying to survive. See Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Self-actualization is at the top (last):

[​IMG]

2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Since Taxes are a big topic

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to understand this but how are people infantilzing white supremacy? Is it excusing white supremacists as merely ignorant?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Basically...stating that they don't know any better or that its not their fault because of how they grew up. While this can apply to some whites, especially those in very rural, white areas...it should not apply to white supremacists or hate groups that target other races. They know what they are doing and to excuse their actions is to allow them to operate with impunity.

mdrowe00 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I thought. Hadn't heard "infintilizing" applied to white supremacists before.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

True...most of the time I hear "White Fragility," so this was a new one for me as well.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The south also has the highest percentage of black populations, so I understand why there would be more. Still seems weird.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CAN WE PLEASE DITCH THE TERM "SYSTEMIC RACISM"?

https://johnmcwhorter.substack.com/p/can-we-please-ditch-the-term-systemic

excerpt:

Our racial “reckoning” could use a reckoning about the term systemic racism. It is often used with an implication, a resonance, a tacit assumption, that to question is unthinkable. Uttered by a certain kind of person, often with a hint of emphasis or an eyeroll, we are to assume that the argumentation behind it has been long accomplished; the heavy lifting was taken care of long ago and we can now just decide what we’re going to do about this “racism” so clearly in our faces.

The problem is that this heavy lifting has not occurred. This usage of systemic racism is more rhetorical bludgeon than a simple term of reference. For all of the pungent redolence of the word racism in general when uttered by a certain kind of person, complete with the inherent threat to whites that they are racists to have anything to say but Amen, we must learn to listen past this theatrical aspect of the word and think for ourselves.

When we do, we see that all discrepancies between white and black are not due to “racism” of any kind, and that in many cases it is therefore senseless, and likely anti-black, to seek to undo the discrepancy – i.e. force “equity” – by tearing down the tasks, rules, or expectations involved in whatever the inequality manifests itself in. We must get past the idea that where black Americans are concerned, sociology is applesauce-easy. Black history is as complex as any history, and not just in the complexities of racism. Black history has been just plain complex.
    more at the link

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

For some reason I can actually hear Tucker Carlson's voice when reading this text lol

Won't someone think of the real victims, can't we just agree that inequality for black people has nothing at all to do with racism?

Jesus... talk about heavy lifting

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed I can't stand the term. Always talking about this concept which in reality all it is, is does struggling blacks more harm than good.

Why try when the "system" is against.you?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Are you personally a victim of systemic racism? I consider myself a beneficiary of black achievement and would consider most blacks in this forum the same

Sure we all have stories of racist teachers or cops or store owners but on the whole we have it a lot better than those before us

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must watch lots of cable news

I hear 50 cents voice a lot lately
    Hopefully I can run into him at the club
    Or when I get some grub
    And tell him his hip hop is real

Haven’t you heard he’s in Houston

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We've had this conversation too many times to rehash it brother

I'm genuinely happy that you feel pride and success in your life

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't say I feel pride. I said I am a beneficiary. Do not project. I'm not bragging, I'm appreciative of what has been gained and not caught up in anger that is not mine. It belongs to my ancestors

One of my issues with our generation is we feel we have to keep rehashing racism because that's our history. We are arguing like it's 1940.

We are the ones refusing to move forward and enjoy and build on the gains we have made

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You're reading too much into it, I wasn't sending a shot or anything, maybe I used the wrong word, in general, from your posts, you seem happy/content with your life and success, and I'm saying I'm legitimately happy you feel that way.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People who are optimistic tend to have much more success than people who are pessimistic

pgabriel likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly. I think we as blacks feel obligated to continue to talk about systemic racism. There is a feeling that the country will never be right in terms of race relations and we feel like we're selling out to not continue the "fight"

We had to fight for equal rights for so long it's become part of our culture.

Agreed on optimism vs pessimism. For poor blacks who've only seen poverty, the continued talk of racism is discouraging