1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How some ATM students planned to celebrate MLK day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Well, at least they're acknowledging MLK. To their credit, I believe the ATM administration is against this.

Ghetto parties' fuel A&M probe

By CRAIG KAPITAN, HOLLY HUFFMAN and JOHN LEBAS
    Eagle Staff Writers

University officials have launched an investigation at a Texas A&M University dormitory after learning that students were planning a “ghetto party” for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Fliers at Walton Hall advertised the off-campus event, at which participants were to mimic African-American stereotypes.

“We’re just having a hard time trying to understand why people would think this would be OK,” said Ron Sasse, director of A&M’s Department of Residence Life.

Sasse found out about the event after an anonymous note was sent to his office. The note indicated that similar activities had been staged for several years.

The investigation, which will determine if any rules or policies were violated, is being focused on the Walton Hall advisers and the dorm’s student organization.

While the student handbook specifically addresses inclusion and diversity, Sasse said he wasn’t sure if any specific rules were violated.

“It’s really more of an education issue from our perspective than a punishment issue,” he said.

University officials also met with the Walton Hall advisers and went door to door with them to hand out “strongly worded letters,” according to an A&M news release.

“Such incidents ... are a disgrace and embarrassment to Texas A&M University,” the letter stated. “[Such] events or acts ... only disgrace, divide and tear down the inclusive community Texas A&M is working so hard to build.”

The letter also encouraged students with knowledge of the parties to come forward for the investigation.

Such “ghetto parties” are not an unknown phenomenon on college campuses. One of the most notorious occurred in November 1998 at a Dartmouth University fraternity party, which drew national media attention and heated protests.

So far, A&M officials said, they believe the parties have been limited to past and present Walton Hall residents.

This is not the first time in recent years that Texas A&M students have stirred racial sensitivities.

Last January, a cartoon published in The Battalion student newspaper sparked cries of racism. The cartoon depicted a black woman with an apron and exaggerated facial features scolding her meek son for a poor test grade.

The controversy subsided after the newspaper’s editor apologized, but many African Americans and others across the state said the cartoon showed a deeper problem of racial ignorance at A&M.

Also last year, a major in-house study showed that many minority students declined to attend A&M because they found it unwelcoming. Those who did enroll became more displeased with the campus environment with each passing year, the same study found.

About 85 percent of the campus is white, and the university has lost minority faculty and students in recent years despite retention efforts.

A&M, which for years was all-white, still carries a reputation among some Texans as a place that is unfriendly to minorities and resistant to ethnic diversity.

University President Robert Gates has made greater diversity a priority of his administration. He has announced plans to appoint a vice president for diversity in a highly visible effort to attract more minorities to campus.

“I think certainly it is counterproductive to what we’re trying to do here,” university spokeswoman Cindy Lawson said of the party late Thursday night. “Clearly, it’s disgusting. We have to do everything in our power to confront it.”

Lawson said officials were disappointed that the event had gone on for years without their knowledge and no one took a stand until now.

“It just reiterates that we will have to work harder at this and that it’s a continuing process,” she said.

At Walton Hall, resident director Shannon Ensom said she first found out about the party Tuesday. She and the dorm’s 11 resident advisers have met each night since to discuss the party and how it should be addressed, she said.

“I just want to make it really clear — it’s not anything that I or my staff are condoning,” Ensom said.

The staff has removed flyers advertising the party that were posted across the dorm and replaced them with flyers publicizing a sorority-sponsored Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom March. All Walton staff will be attending the march and are offering to take residents with them, Ensom said.

“Apparently ... there are some uninformed residents,” she said. “We will take this opportunity to do some educational programs and diversity training.”

But a 20-year-old junior who asked not to be identified said he still planned to attend the off-campus party. He said he didn’t think that any of his fellow dormmates were upset by the “ghetto party” concept.

Another Walton resident said he hadn’t realized that the party was being thrown on the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. After realizing that, he said, he could see why it was considered offensive.

But his friend, who doesn’t live in Walton, said that anyone offended by the party was being “too politically correct.”

Senior Greg Hodges, 21, said he didn’t plan on attending, but only because his friends weren’t planning on going. He added that he didn’t believe that the party was offensive as long as nothing “serious” happened.

“This was just meant to be done in good humor,” he said.

But 18-year-old Walton freshman Akeal Hawkins, who only learned about the party after receiving the university’s letter, said he was offended that fellow Aggies would throw a “ghetto party” on MLK Day.

“I didn’t expect this from Texas A&M at all,” said Hawkins, who is black. “You think that this campus is like family.”

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i realize they're just college kids...but wow, that really sucks.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is the argument for affirmative action. Some ignorant white students who would benefit from more diversity on campus.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, is there any reason not to bomb ATM into non-existence? Is it even a real school?

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Uh...yes dumbass...it's a real school. :confused:

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Where is Timing? ;)

7. Band Geek Mobster

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Can somebody post a link for this I would love to send this to some of my aggie friends thanks in advance

9. haven

haven Member

Of course it's real... you might not have heard of it because most people never consider going there ;).

Oh, I realize that there are some good things about TAMU. I just don't see any uniquely good things that aren't offered elsewhere without all the... "tradition."

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

If I hear one more rich white girl complain about how "ghetto" something of her's is I'm going to scream.

11. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Not that I agree with this, but people have white trash and wife-beater parties all the time and I've never seen an article condemning them...

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

How many black people go to these parties?

This "ghetto party" was organized by white people.

14. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

That's definitely a good point gr8. Like I said, I don't think a party with this kind of theme should be held. I was more bringing up the point about it being written about when other "themed" parties haven't been to the best of my knowledge.

A wife-beater party is a party where everyone wears wife-beaters (the white cotton tank tops) and drinks 40s and stuff, perpetuating the stereotype of poor white people beating their wives and drinking 40s all the time.

15. Smokey

No wonder this guy went to A&M. He's freaking clueless. This event isn't isolated to A&M, but A&M isn't exactly a racially diverse campus.

16. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Smokey, I really don't want to be backed into defending this ghetto party because I disagree with it. But for the record, black people definitely go to the types of parties I was describing.

17. Smokey

But do they organize it? Then IMO it would be a story.

18. Timing

Timing Member

I can't believe I actually applied to that school in high school. lol *shiver*

19. Smokey

btw, I'm trying to back you into defending the ghetto party. All I'm saying is this is newsworthy.

20. Smokey

Same here. I actually took a visit to Cowlege Station and put down a deposit for a dorm. Fortunately the deposit was refundable but the application fee was not. I then turned around and sent the deposit to UT. Whew! :D