1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How SHOULD we honor Baseball Players for their Societal Impact?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I begin this thread because today many will discuss the possibility of retiring Roberto Clemente's number throughout all of baseball like Robinson's has been.

I in no way wish to dismiss their impact in questioning HOW to do this. I do not like the retirement of numbers as the method of doing so and would like some ideas of a better way to do this.

My initial thought is an inner circle of some type in the Hall of Fame based on their impact. I would place Robinson, Clemente and Ruth there just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. But it should be a small group based on criteria of longer duration than an impact in a moment of grief.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I nominate Jose Altuve for adopting all the Yankees and being their daddy.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ruth. He is in the HOF. He didn't have the off-the-field impact. Baseball impact? Of-course. I would Lou Gehrig had a bigger off the field impact.
    Robinson was a no-brainer.
    Clemente had a societal impact on MANY Latin players on and off the field. No problem giving him the Robinson treatment.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Ruth, DiMaggio and Gherig all had impact beyond baseball, even through baseball. The long ball, the streak and a grateful human being facing devastating news all have become HISTORY beyond cold stats in the Baseball Records. Unfortunately, most are Yankees, but they had enormous impact outside of the baseball world.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In the past 40 years baseball has lost tremendous "market share"

Turn on any sports radio station in August when baseball is the only sport in season and you will hear hours and hours of NFL and some NBA content with an occassional score update on MLB.

I would argue that MLB has more historical figures who have impacted society than any other sport and celebrating their stories nationally and beyond baseball is an opportunity.

Retiring numbers only impacts the game and fans.

MLB should designate a "Mt Rushmore" or similar of MLB figures that made huge impact ( baseball and beyond).

Then identify local MLB heroes and focus on them locally.

Make it an initiative that transcends the game. National and diverse interest.

How to do that escapes me but MLB needs it to be news among the general population.

Maybe establish an initiative to build presentations/monuments to these "heroes" in local museums and historical locations ( specific to that location)

Jackie Robinson - civil rights and equality
    Roberto Clemente - humanitarianism
    Babe Ruth - Revolution of and growth of the game.
    Ichiro Suzuki- Global popularity and growth.

Any other ideas? Other heroes?

Major likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Buck O'Neil

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The only problem with retiring Robinson's number is that it took too long. The abuse that man took without fighting back or quitting while playing at an elite level paved the way for blacks and a whole new era of baseball. Heck, when your parents and my parents were teenagers, they could have been at a game where the N word was screamed at him and it was accepted behavior.

It's important to remember the sacrifice he made and simply having a Cooperstown inner circle to honor him would not be near enough.

Clemente faced similar issues as Robinson. He also helped open the door to Latino players. No problem with me having his number retired as well.

The place where a circle of honor makes the most sense is at Minute Made Park. Way too many Astro numbers have been retired.

#7 bobrek, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    King1 likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

GREAT ONE !!!

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hank Aaron would be in there

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Got no issue with sport-wide jersey retirements. Clemente is long overdue.

Buck Turgidson likes this.