1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How should our bullpen be used?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Jun 18, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's way past noon bro

And who on here loves Hinch? I haven't seen one person on here who loves Hinch?

Thanks in advance

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, Devenski pitched a great game, this guy has to pitch lefties in big situations, they look awful against that change up

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Liked Hinch stretching Devo out today. Hadn't pitched in awhile, saved the rest of the pen. He's given Harris two days off now.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Devenski is our best reliever vs lefties, well, and Harris, we should use him not to save the bullpen, but to HELP THE BULLPEN in big situations.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep Hinch cost us another game today using Devenski wrong. And now the other guys are too rested to do good tomorrow too

Stupid Hinch

I want you to be the manager, but only with Delgado as bench coach

You up for it bro? Please apply for it

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It became a very low stress situation, so that made the decision to leave him out there easier.

I understand we have a good situation with many relievers deserving high leverage situations, but it makes no sense to me that Devenski is completely mothballed like he has been. He has pitched too well to have one appearance in 16 days.

Feldman can always mop up as well if a long relief situation becomes necessary, so we don't need to solely keep Devo in reserve.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Thanks, agree 100 percent with you

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I know it doesn't seem this way at times, but historical data suggests that clutch pitching is a myth - instead, you should always just play your best statistical pitchers in high leverage situations, regardless of how you believe he will perform with the game on the line.

Also agree with some others that these pitcher's don't need clearly defined roles or situations. If you're leading 4-1 with the bases loaded, THIS would be the time to insert your best pitcher, usually the closer. People obsess over saves, but managers should deploy their best bullpen pitchers whenever the win is most on the line.

I think Giles has a ton of talent, and I'd like to see Hinch continue to try to get him into rhythm. You could count Giles bad 'clutch' performances to random variations, but if Hinch opted to stop putting Giles in these situations, Giles confidence could be shot and this is where I could see his production or skill level dipping off. When you have a player with the skill-set of Giles, I think you have to continue to throw him into high-leverage situations. Eventually, luck should return to his side and his confidence will return as he has good outings. Hiding him in low-leverage situations is avoiding the problem and killing the confidence of a high-potential very talented relief pitcher.