1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How replaceable is Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Could also mean he would prefer to play with a legit big?

Howard and Harden > Lebron Irving -- I think Lebron/Irving are more a more dynamic duo, but for a power forward, I think I'd rather play along side a big that can give you more spacing.

2,4,5 over a 1,3,4 power team.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

McHale name dropped him out of the blue during that Rockets Round Table interview. Said he's ready or something to that effect. SOON!

3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

He's... ok. In an ideal world he would be our pest off of the bench. I wouldn't want to pay more than $4 Mil a year for him. Luckily for us the league is saturated with quality PGs. I can't think of anywhere he could go and be offered a starters salary and minutes.

I support an upgrade to PG as the next big 'get' for our team, either at the deadline or in the offseason.

Our offense has been bad lately when he shares the court with Ariza. Any decent team we face overplays Harden to deny him the ball forcing Ariza or Bev to become a playmaker off the dribble. This leads to PnRs with Bev/Ariza as the ball-handler and predictably awful results.

We try to combat this by having Harden bring the ball up and initiate from the top of the key but if the lane is packed (due to our opposition not respecting the shots of Ariza or Bev) he ends up settling for a long jumper. This is great when Harden has it going but when the shot isn't there and the bricks start piling up we look like crap and it kills morale. This happened much less often at the beginning of the year when Bev and Ariza were on fire from deep as any Harden initiated attack resulted in open shooters hitting or an open driving lane. Now those open great looks are fewer an farther between.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

dont you realize what your stats are syaing if you use 25 as the barometer? You know whos the #1 scoring PG in the league? Steph Curry and he averages 23.1 PPG, that means by your logic, Patrick Beverly played a very average December in terms of points surrendered.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If we can't obtain someone at the level of Dragic, I would settle for a Avery Bradley level player. Anyone know if the Celtics are willing to give up Bradley?

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He said Papa has Euro experience like Llull. That was all.

7. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Bev to me seems like the type to stay with a winning team over getting a huge payday. I think he wants the respect and the rings that help bring it. If Morey doesn't offer him less than 5 mil he'll choose to stay a rocket

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

The good defense aside, Beverley's 13.5 PER is basically replacement level.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Obviously you failed to understand some simple logic.

If Curry is averaging 23.1 PPG, its obviously he will score at least 25 points in a decent rate, at least around 30% maybe?

So if you give up ZERO time, how can you say he is bad?

And I did mentioned about the AVERAGE, which only 14% of the games of the PG Bev facing were scoring over their season average.

How hard for you to understand these facts?

10. dianelo

dianelo Member

Heat fans will be more than happy to do the trade.

11. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Very.

1 person likes this.
  12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Oh i completely understand. Of course how could i notnrealize that 25ppg is a great barometer for pg defense. Sure, only one pg averages 23 a page and only four pgs in tge entire freaking nba averages more than 18 a game. But so what, 25 is the number that nakes the argument sound good

13. thevirus

thevirus Member

Why don't make bev stay?
    He is good,maybe sometimes he will be crazy about offense,but most time he can be trusted.

14. hakeemthagreat

Very hard to replace. As we saw in the Bulls, Portland & Washington games, Rose, Lillard & Wall were held at bay. I actually thought Rose would give Bev problems, but it was the other way around (he actually swatted one of Rose's shots). Not only is Bev a elite defender, but he's great at creating extra possessions. In the playoffs, extra possessions can win a series more than X's & O's.

The Western Conference is full of elite PG's. Dragic will get DESTROYED by all of them. If we're not getting any of those elite PG's (WB, CP3, Lillard, Parker) I'd rather have someone that can defend them. Beverley when healthy is the best defensive PG in the league

1 person likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

A lot these rockets fans won't agree with this post because they don't understand the game. Nice post man I completely agree.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lol wait the guy was a budding all-star and wasn't he 3rd NBA all-team? Yes he would sure get DESTROYED. Dragic is so underrated on this board. There is a reason Suns fans do not wan't to lose him .

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's a uinique little snowflake.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I don't think we'll pay Bev big money. Injuries have made his defense less than stellar and he can't get the team into its offense early enough.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think for 20-30 minutes per game, there's not a better backcourt partner for James Harden in the league. The ability to have the PG lock up his man and the SF lock up the best swingman has freed Harden to aim for an MVP award. I don't think it's a coincidence James is having his best season ever with Ariza and Beverley starting.

OTOH, I wouldn't be against getting a much better overall player who is so much better than Beverley that they make up for the fact they are not stylistically a better fit than Beverley i.e. Dragic.

Like MadMax said earlier, he's also the type of dude you want on your side in a war zone.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Its like talking to a wall.

Since you like to read numbers, here you go.

Curry,

this season for 32 games so far, his scoring average is 23 pts per game.

this season for 32 games so far, he scored 25 pts or more in 13 games out of the 32 games, that's 40% of the time he played.

You still failed to understand the point here.

The point is not to just make up a number like he hold the opponent PG scoring under 100 points per game, the point being, none of the starting PG so far this season went nut on the Rockets, unlike we still see other positions happening from time to time quite often.

Overall, our opponents starting PG only have a 14% chance to score better than their season average.

The defensive job on this position is not just good, but elite.