1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How realistic is it for the Rockets to put together a compelling package for Kevin Love?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Feb 3, 2014.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm starting to think that trading Parsons is the right decision, but only if it nets you a star.

Let's say you trade Asik for a 1st, and then package the 1st, Parsons, and TJones together for Kevin Love.

Use the MLE to sign Trevor Ariza and Kostas Papanikolaou

Bev / Lin
    Harden
    Ariza / Papanikolaou
    Love / DMo
    Howard

2. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Omg, I need to sleep. A front court of Love and Howard would be dominant.

3. Moahst

Moahst Member

The real question is does a Rockets team with Harden, Dwight, Love and absolute trash supporting cast (Garcia starting at the 3, Canaan at the 1, and your best bench player is Donatas Motiejunas) contend? I think the answer is no.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Morey is greedy.

He knows he can have Parsons AND another big name if he waits till free agency in 2015.

Love is a big name but, when he comes here he becomes the third option, ala a Chris Bosh in Miami. Third option production is not always best filled with a max player.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We're talking about a top 15 player here. 2nd rd picks and late first rounders aren't going to get it done.

6. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

LOL @ anyone who would trade Harden for Love. Harden pretty much got us to the playoffs last year and you would ditch him for someone who cant even carry their team into the playoffs? GTFO!

1 person likes this.
  7. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Lin and Asik were a big part of getting this team to the playoffs too, and everyone was ready to throw them under the bus even sooner

8. Play07

Play07 Member

Yep Lin, parsons, asik didn't help us get there.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

We won't have to trade for him.

10. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Am I the only one who would rather give up parsons instead of jones.
    1. Parsons is about to get paid around 9-10 a year.
    2. Jones contract is great compared to parsons.

lol we can just tell them to package Budinger with love

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

IF the Rockets can get a quality 1st for Asik, a package of the 1st, Parsons, TJones, and some filler (Rockets 1st round picks and 2nds) would be about as good a package as there will be.

12. Rocket_Man_2.0

If he was really that good his team would be winning. He's a stat padder.:rolleyes:

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You know Jones and Love play the same position right?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You trade away anyone they want, but Dwight and Harden. You're not going to keep Parsons and Jones in that kind of deal. That's who the other team will ask for first. You give them up to keep Beverley. Filling the holes won't be as hard as it seems because we'll be automatic contenders, or seen as one anyway....we'll start to get the FA discounts for having a better shot at a ring.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Kevin love is the most overrated "superstar" in the nba, it's not even funny. I would be hesitant to trade t.jones for love straight up. Quite frankly, jones does more things that love is not capable of, such as being much more athletic and better defender.

I honestly don't think people actually sit down and watch love play. They just look at his gaudy stats on espn's bottom sports. I've been saying it for a long time, klove is the ultimate stat padder, he's no superstar.

Most of his points come from wide open spot up 3s or off of offensive rebounds/put backs. He often struggles to create his own offense. When it comes to superstars, it comes down to one thing: can you create your own shot at will? If your k-love, the answer is no

16. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

There is no reason to trade for him, unless it's for scraps. We don't want to trade rotation players unless we can get him to sign for 4 more years. Best case, we get him as a free agent. If he will sign an extension this or next year, then anyone, or any picks outside of Howard/Harden.

1 person likes this.
  17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I would, if I was making that decision. Without hesitation.

Would that be enough if they make him available? I don't know. With Parsons unrestricted free agent status, I guess maybe not.

I wonder if the Bulls would offer something like Gibson + Mirotic + Charlotte/Sacramento/Cavs picks (+fillers). They do look ready to pull off a big trade.

18. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Although he has a decent supporting cast, I think it has become clear that he is not a 1st banana. However, he has the ability to be a spectacular 2nd banana on the right team. Say, a team that has a dominant big man that could open up the floor for him. Right now he has to create everything with a point guard that refuses to shoot and a shooting guard that relies heavily on catch and shoots. I think having an actual rim protector behind him like Howard (Go look at the stats for Pekovic) would help his defense the same way Marc Gasol helps Z-Bo. And as a previous poster stated, the drop off from Harden to Lin would be less than you think, or at least less than gain between Jones and Love.

Also, the thought of a Lin, Parsons, Casspi, Love, DMo lineup for a little fun time ultra-offense lineup gives me a semi. ;)

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok. Prove that Harden can carry the Rockets to the playoffs without Asik last year or Dwight this year.

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

If you assume that you can flip Asik for a 2014 1st round pick at least, then in a 3-way trade you could offer MIN Jones, Canaan, our 2014 1st, another 2014 1st, and NYC's 2014 2nd.

Now then, that's not fair value for Love. But the real question is, do you ever get fair value when you have to trade an all-star who doesn't want to re-sign with you? What did OKC get for Harden? What did ORL get for Dwight? What did UTH get for Deron Williams? What did MIN get for Garnett? Does anyone remember how bad the Pau Gasol trade looked for MEM at the time? These kind of trades are not made from a position of strength. If you look at history, I think you can see that Jones, Canaan, and a bunch of picks are probably all MIN can expect to get.