1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How prevalent is gang activity in the USA really?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Wapzoe, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I'm from Australia,

We get a lot of media (documentaries, info tv show type things) about prisons, gangs etc.

I think it's causing a skewed view but i could be wrong

How often are you guys exposed to gang activity personally?

and is it as common as these shows make it seem?

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Definitely not as common as TV shows make it seem. TV dramatizes everything and exaggerates everything. In certain urban ghettoes, however, gangs have relatively more influence.

3. RV6

RV6 Member

Just because it doesnt happen in a lot of places doesn't mean it doesn't happen a lot. It's not all over the place, but in the areas they claim, i'm sure there's gang activity all the time. Keep in mind that "gang activity" could be a wide range of things, not just killing and shooting.

4. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

I witnessed a drug exchange in front of a church today. Not that it was necessarily gang related, but I'm just like wow. Right in front of the church???

5. ClutchCityReturns

You should see what goes on inside.

5 people like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

quite prevalent. just visit bright beach in brooklyn, or it's sister turf -- wall street in manhattan -- and it's clearly visible to all

7. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Nice! Haha. You're probably right.
    Not to derail the thread, but is it true that some churches have life insurance policies on their members???

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Its mainly prevalent in black areas so stay out of the ghetto and follow the trail of skinny white girls to riches.

9. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Bahahahahahahaha.

I only laugh because...well, it's kind of true. Well, save for the "Latin Kings".

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Oakland, most of nyc, downtown Houston, Compton, Detroit, parts of hotlanta , mobile Alabama all very black and very dangerous.

11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Downtown Houston?

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

you just have to know what parts of town to avoid and which ones to be careful in. bad parts of Houston include the area around the University of Houston, the Gulfton apartment areas, the apartment zone near the Beltway and 59 South, etc. You can avoid the crime if you just stay out of those areas....and it's not really the gang violence or gangs that I ever worry about, it's more the random mugging or burglary.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

downtown is pretty safe, actually. You have to worry about the random homeless guy who might snap on you, but certainly not gang violence.

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Do you even live in Houston? I love how you state things, that you have no idea what you're talking about, so matter of factly. Hardcore thuggin goin on in downtown Houston :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Stay away from Minute Maid Park.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

There's a lot of 'baby' gangsters in my hood. Most of them grow out of it because they have no real affiliation to the sets that they claim. A few move on to Houston and become really bad people. I even saw on guy on "The First 48."

17. sammy

sammy Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nTobHOyLvRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's only a picked handful. Don't leave out out Chicago, Memphis, Miami, Philly, Charlotte, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Baltimore, Orland, etc. All cities with the biggest crime ratio.

19. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Member

Stay away from the Greyhound station

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Downtown Houston is definitely not a bad part of town. You might be asked for change but that's not very threatening.

The only side of town that feels dangerous is the 3rd ward. There is way too many people walking around.

Most other hoods people are inside for the most part...