1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Not to Talk to Your Kids (and how it applies to the Rockets...)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by echu888, Jan 17, 2008.

1. echu888

echu888 Member

Try reading the article... it's interesting.

How Not to Talk to Your Kids

This was a fascinating article about the effects of praise, and the myth that self-esteem is a powerful motivator for success. As I was reading this, it brought a few things to mind in regards to recent Rockets history:

1) Since he's gotten into the league, Yao has received a lot of criticism from many angles, and little praise. As a result, he's had to bunker down and work hard to prove himself.

2) Since his early years in the NBA, people have been praising t-mac for how he is amazing, how he is one of the most naturally talented basketball players ever. Perhaps wearing this premature "mantle" has helped to foster a strong sense of basketball "self-esteem" and really hindered his development and effort (as tons of recent threads have been harping on). I really liked the article and analysis that was posted recently (Kobe vs. T-Mac aren't really much different, just T-Mac has had a worse supporting cast). However, my perception of T-Mac is that his underlying primary motivator is being the hero, at the expense of the greater good of the team. In other words, he's become addicted to the hype, and its really hard to undo. In Collin's book, "Good to Great", he points out the greatest organizations (or sports team to draw out the analogy) are led by what he terms "level 5 leaders", or people who have intense determination and drive, but paradoxically are very humble and sort of shy away from attention and credit. Both of these are apparently missing from T-Mac (but might be present in Yao). Obviously they are the two that are looked at as leaders on the team.

In addition, learning how to persevere in difficulty is a key character trait in life that must be developed... no, labored and birthed in order to succeed.

3) Since he's come to Houston, and I saw how Van Gundy ran the team, I admired what he did. I loved the principles that he tried to instill, and I liked that he always looked for things that could improve. I am a fan of his for those reasons, although he is not a perfect coach. In the quote above, I'm reminded about many times, JVG was zeroed in on the process. Of course, when it comes down to it, end results are ultimately what count, therefore one could argue, "so what" to all of this. Well. I don't think it is an instant formula, but I think that focusing on the right things (effort and challenge as opposed to intrinsic ability) in terms of motivating players is principally important.

Note, I am not an Adelman hater, I am glad he is here. I am not a YOF/YOH/TOF/TOH. I just thought it was a very interesting set of studies, and wanted to apply it to what I saw happening with the Rockets. Flame away.

2. TheyCallmeExMan

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not only great. Unique. This kind of analysis is rare but accurate IMO.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This might go over a lot of people's head. Cue all the JVG dislikers......

5. dunkinlos

dunkinlos Contributing Member

That's really interesting I'm not done reading it yet, but obviously it makes me think of JVG.

He'd always say stuff like... "Why praise someone for something they're supposed to do?"

6. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

This is very very interesting. However, I always got the impression that whenever Yao had a great game, VG didn't really praise him but regardless of how poorly T-Mac played, he never really got criticized. There has to more to this.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You rang?

I hope the current coach reads this because the last one NEVER directly criticized Tmac...

Let's try some tough love.

DD

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Didn't Rudy T give Hakeem some tough love? Or did Hakeem see the light about playing unselfish basketball before Rudy T took over for Chaney?

I want to say the former. If Rudy T were the coach, I wonder what he would say to T-Mac. I think he would call him out privately.

I think Rudy could get a lot more out of McGrady compared to other coaches.

9. Precision340

Precision340 Member

great article.. thanks for posting

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Pretty interesting article. Nice departure from the usual drivel that paints these forums.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Nice post, is it just me or I feel that team was far more disciplined in JVG era?

I like what Rick is doing and that's his style but I think he somehow isn't agressive, like Yao but will work it out.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Carrot or stick. Who cares. Whatever works. Just play ball and put the ball in the hole. No more excuses.

13. echu888

echu888 Member

That thought had occurred to me too. I don't ever recall hearing a time where JVG laid down the law on him. I wonder if Tmac has been coddled all his life by various coaches.

14. krockets

krockets Member

Thanks, this is a great article..

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There are thousands of studies that disprove his theory. Here is just one.

Criticism vs Praise

Dr. Hurlock's study seems to have much more relevance because it is under more control. IMO honesty is the underlying variable that Wittingham is missing. Undeserved praise is a lie and kids are smart enough to know that. If you praise one when they don't deserve it you are teaching that effort is irrelevant and doing whatever you want is enough. Of course that is just my opinion and you may choose call your kid a schmuck at every opportunity. Who knows, one day he may become a superstar.

#15 Old Man Rock, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  16. echu888

echu888 Member

Actually I think the studies suggested praising for effort rather than innate ability. It also acknowledges some effectiveness in praising for innate ability, but recognizes how it may prevent kids from learning how to work hard, instead leaning on whatever natural talent they have.

17. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Maturity level is also an important factor. Some kids just don't have the maturity level/ awareness to be an effective interdependent member of the group regardless of the communication method used. So when an individual has not complete/master a stage it may manifest in many aspects in life. I see someone might still stucking on the "Superego identity" crisis. Cough*Tmac* Cough.

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Among the best posts I've ever seen since I started lurking on ClutchFans. I've drawn similar comparisons in my own life and in talking about things in the business world.

Yes, this really all does have to do with the Rockets
    ...kind of

I was always one of the smart kids growing up. My parents figured out I could read when I was 4; I don't really know how long I was reading before they figured it out. My teachers used to go on and on and on about how smart I was, and I never had to study. I used to hear a lot of talk about how I was a child prodigy and a genius. I was never a fan of it. But my point is that I never had to learn how to work hard to do anything.
    ...Until I hit college. In college, I couldn't just listen to someone and learn everything; I actually had to read a book. Professors would test over things they didn't talk about. I had to learn to study. And it was hard; I'm in my 5th year of college because I didn't know how to work. 10-12 hours to me was as taxing as 14-16 to all my friends. And I've only just started to realize what sort of potential I have, but it's been among the most taxing experiences in my life trying to learn how to push myself. It is a skill.
    A friend of mine, a naturally artistic genius, has also had the same problem with his artistic abilities (but even moreso). Because he never had to work to do anything, he's not been able to progress beyond what he was in high school despite 3 years at one of the best art schools in the country. He doesn't know how to work, and his work suffers because of it. It frustrates the hell out of us because we see his wasted potential.

So what's the point?
    With the whole self-esteem movement, business leaders are finding that employees will no longer put up with situations they don't like. Rather than try to work through it, if they're not praised continuously, they think they're doing something wrong and will become more and more uncomfortable. They eventually leave their jobs. My dad and some Houston-area businesspeople had a meeting where they discussed how the workplace will have to respond to this new breed of employee.

And that brings me back to what you said about McGrady. T-Mac has been talking a lot lately about how he's not mentally prepared. This makes me believe there's another part to The McGrady Conundrum. T-Mac has this limitless potential but, like my friend and me, doesn't know how to realize it. Is it possible that his basketball self-esteem is so high that he's afraid to try to change a situation and instead just gets more and more uncomfortable until he leaves?
    You never hear stories about how T-Mac thinks a team should improve. And Jon Barry, when the Rockets got Shane Battier, talked about how T-Mac just doesn't have that leadership personality. Perhaps he too has this same problem as the new generation of employees; if he's not continuously praised, he thinks he's doing something wrong.

It seems to me that McGrady doesn't want to improve. That both his inability to realize his potential and his unwillingness to improve the situation he's in have lead to the player he is today. I'll end this when something I said during the offseason.

In the midst of all the "Yao for KG" threads, I mentioned something about being realistic about trades. And this year, I've realized just how great a fit one of my examples would have been.
    In a reply to one of the threads, I said something about T-Mac and xxx for Shawn Marion (who had, at the time, recently mentioned that he was looking for a trade out of Phoenix) and Leandro Barbosa would be more realistic. That Phoenix needed something to get them over the hump, and that McGrady would thrive in Phoenix and would give Nash what he needed to win it all. But I realize now that the reason that McGrady would fit so well in Phoenix isn't the desperation to win.
    It's the personality of Steve Nash. T-Mac, just like me, needs someone to inspire him to work harder to become better (mine, initially, was an ex-girlfriend I was really in love with). Jeez, this sounds like pruyen talking about Yao. But T-Mac needs someone to instill in him the desire to be a better player.

Blech. I'm tired. I'm not proofreading this; I hope it makes sense.

19. Blaster

Blaster Member

I like this article, thanks for sharing

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Great thread.

I loved the article. Makes a lot of sense.

But, I think we have to keep it in perspective and consider the spectrum limits. Let me ask a question so you can understand my point.

Do you think that JVG could continue to give Yao effort praise and he could eventually guard AI, Josh Howard, and Carlos Boozer one on one without any help and stop them and not get into foul trouble?????

I don't think this is possible. And this is where Van Gundy took this thought process past it's limits. As was brought up in another thread, he continued and continued to run Yao out there to defend Boozer one on one without making any adjustment. And Utah kept killing us with it. Against Dallas a couple years back, they went small and had Howard going one on one against Yao. No adjustment. Yao is no more closer to being able to defend either one of those guys today than he was then. Dare I say, he will NEVER be able to defend those guys without help???

The physical limitations of our bodies need to be taken into account. Fast twitch fibers or slow twitch fibers? High center of gravity or low center of gravity? We are talking about direct competition between human beings. The answer is to develop a better strategy for winning the game, not to have an unrealistic expectation that Yao can do anything and everything physically on the basketball court.