1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will DMO sign for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
?

How much will DMO sign for?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. 1 year for under 11 million

26.7%
  2. 1 year for 11 million or over

2.7%
  3. 2 years for 20 million + (team option 2nd)

22.9%
  4. 3/4 years for under 10million per year

26.7%
  5. 3/4 years for over 10 million per year

20.9%
  1. ilias

ilias Member

2 years for $16-18m, 2nd year team option

DMo gets $2-3m extra on top of the QO; in exchange he gives the Rockets the option of underpaying him next year if he is healthy. That would be a good way to hedge downsize risk on both sides.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

At this point if feels kind of like the Carl Landry scenario. The Rockets have made DMo an offer and if he wants more then he will have to get another team to sign him and they will match as long as it doesn't exceed what they consider to be fair value.

I have no idea what they are offering or what he is asking but I'm just hoping its not too far apart. Its ashamed really, he had one really good season until his back was hurt. If his back doesn't get hurt then I think he very likely takes another step forward last season and he is easily a 12 to 14 million a season for 4 years player (if not more). But it is what it is and he has to prove himself.

3. crash5179

This is what Ive been thinking lately. I originally thought 10 a season for 2 years but after reading that Batman said he is being told 2 years at 10 total then I'm more inclined to believe thats what is currently on the table.

I could see the Rockets moving to 16 million total for 2 seasons with the second season a team option. That would give him about 7 million for this coming season and about 9 million for 2017 / 2018 season with a team option @ 7.5% raise from year 1 to year 2.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Seriously, sucks for him and us. For that one half a season it looked like we had found someone who could start next to James for 10 years and now we're stuck wondering if his back will hold up enough to be an NBA player.

The good news is he's always been a hard worker on and off the court and I'd always bet on a guy like that.

5. omgTHEpotential

Look where it got him. Overworking and overtraining can be one of the causes of a hearniated disk.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it was a whole season, 40 or 50 games of good play.

Correct me if I am wrong.

7. crash5179

Honestly you could dissect any player in the league and say he only played x number of good and therefor did not have a good season. DMo got off to a slow start that season but over the course of the entire season he was very good and very consistent until the injury in April. DMo was the Rockets 2nd most important player during the regular season that year.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Games of good play!

He was a major rotation player for 71 games on the 3rd or 4th best team in the NBA. If anything, everyone on the board was yelling at McHale to give the ball to D-Mo more and when he did it worked nicely.

Who discounts slow starts or periods when people are struggling unless you're going out of your way to say something? How many "games of good play" did Trevor Ariza give us that season? James Harden?

Come on man. D-Mo is a hard worker and he gave us a great season. He hurt his back and struggled to play decently last season. Is this really worth the witch hunt? How are you not sad rather than cynical?

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He put up big numbers next to Dwight (check it out) and then, when we were short handed, proceeded to HELP CARRY that team. If he hadn't got hurt.... There's a much better flow when he's out there...and he gets his threes, makes great passes, posts up, plays fantastic position D, moves without the ball (multiple elite skill sets)...JUST KNOWS HOW TO PLAY...and makes this team much better.

IF YOU WATCHED THE GAMES, YOU SAW IT ....DMo coming of age...scratching the surface if his potential.

We'll see how the back holds up, but you folks who won't acknowledge what DMo was bringing either didn't watch or know about as much hoops as Le$.

basketballholic and daywalker02 like this.
  10. sabesque

sabesque Member

Giving Dmo a really big early offer seems like such an un-Morey-ish thing to do. We all know his M.O. is to let the market decide and if the market is greater than how he values the player, he's comfortable letting them walk (while trying for the SnT).

Unless he was freaked out about the cap spike and overreacted to try and beat the market. But don't see him doing this while he has his eyes on Ryan Anderson.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He seems to be hard worker. No doubt.

The Rockets will be seeing this as a very good full season but I do not think other teams will notice enough.

He is still relatively unproven. He has not played many playoff games.

Correct me if I am wrong again.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I will be honest. I was busy during that stretch.

I did not get to watch most of those games. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Obviously.

DD

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, you're making it sound like he was Jeremy Lin 2012.

He had some good games, a couple of years ago. But you can pretty much count his good games on one hand (or maybe one hand + 2 or 3 fingers)

Obviously, he hasn't been able to recapture that form, and teams aren't willing to bet that he's going to be able to, hence the lack of interest other than the Qualifying offer.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And you make it sound like he was Corey Brewer 2016.

In his last 3 games of the 2014-2015 season, he got:

21 pts (10-16 fg), 8 rb, 1 ast, 2 stl
    17 pts (6-9 fg), 2 rb, 3 ast, 3 stl
    18 pts (8-13 fg), 3 rb, 6 ast

If you don't think those are good games, then your bar is unreasonably high.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

My guess?

Taking his talents back to Europe.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So your guess is that he'd choose to take millions less just to go back to Europe? You might want to keep guesses like that to yourself.

18. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Morey is missing an opportunity to "buy low" by trying to buy too low.

19. basketballholic

We made it clear we would match but we were open to a sign-and-trade.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. It's enough to just tell him he'd match, but not until we spent our cap space. I doubt he made an actual offer on July 1st, since Morey was saying how predicting offers this summer was hard to do at that time.

What's different is he didn't *publically* vow to match any offer like he did with Parsons. He said that prior to Cuban's offer, and even after Cuban's offer, Morey said he would have matched had we gotten Bosh. So, we can say his commitment to DMo is a notch below his public vow to Parsons.