1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much $ will be reasonable to re-sign Posey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Likemike33, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

How much do you think will be a reasonable price for posey?

I say a 5-6 years around 30-35 mil.

What you all think ?

2. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

He probably wants Kenny Thomas money but he's not worth that...

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i would give him 4 years and somewhere around 16 to 20 million. 4 or 5 million a year sounds about right to me

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4/16. Posey isn't better than Kandi!

Let him walk. He can't shoot. Rox are making a mistake if they get in a bidding war with SA.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think this is right on target. 6 years at 32 million would be great if we can do it--by making the contract longer and the starting point a little lower it might leave a little extra lux tax margin of error to sign someone like Piatowski.

6. Toast

Toast Member

That's kinda what I was thinking. It's gonna be curious to see which one of the two ends up with a fatter contract.

7. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Philly made the same kind of mistake as Rockets did with Mo Taylor. Overpaying big time. KT will never get as much money from another team in the open market (and remember: Philly can match offer since they have his Bird rights). It's deals like that killing a franchise.

And yeah, Posey doesn't deserve more than MLE money.

8. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

If Posey gets a fatter contract, we might as well give up on this club.

9. hpscc

hpscc Member

Chicago may be going after Posey...might drive price up to maximum MLE

After a second face-to-face meeting with general manager John Paxson failed to bring a definitive answer from Scottie Pippen, the Bulls moved forward on a second backup plan Thursday, setting up a free-agent visit for James Posey.

"Chicago is an up-and-coming team with a major need at the small forward spot," said Mark Bartelstein, Posey's Chicago-based agent. "And Houston has major restrictions with the luxury tax."

Posey is expected to visit Chicago on Friday. He is a restricted free agent after the Rockets made him a qualifying offer of $2.45 million, meaning Houston would have 15 days to match any offer he might receive.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...bulls,1,5619111.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

#9 hpscc, Jul 18, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ya'll, we can't low-ball the guy. Chicago wants him and will make him an offer if Scottie Pippen (local fan favorite) doesn't sign with them. It is a general feeling around the league, I believe, that Posey won't leave the Rockets. Probably a 5-year deal at about $30,000,000. In today's marketplace, that's fair.

11. mingonly

mingonly Member

now we have poseys agent saying we wont pay lux tax. So whos lieing? Les/Cd or poseys agent?

Dang,and didnt chicago just draft Kirk Hienrich to be thier sf? They still have Rose. I wish poseys agent would quit being a a$$ like moochies agent . Oh forget it. I take it as disrespect to the rox for him to even *think about leaving. Id call his bluff. Id actually make the rox offer LOWER each and every time he visits another club just to get this over with.

*unless that means the rox are thinking Boki/Odom

#11 mingonly, Jul 18, 2003
  12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Chicago drafted Hinrich as a point guard, not a SF. Also, the Rocks don't have as much worry with a Chicago offer as they have with a Spurs offer. Posey has had enough of cold-weather losing teams, but the Spurs are a warm-weather championship team with lots of money to spend.

13. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Have they Spurs met with/extended an offer to Posey? I have not seen anything on that.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hopefully we can get Posey for just above the MLE. If the MLE starts at 4.9 million perhaps we can get him starting around 5.9 million with the amount of years around 4-5.

Posey is a very nice role player. But that is all he is, a role player. I don't like the idea of giving role players long contracts past 4-5 years.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

With Bruce Bowen/Stephen Jackson, why would the Spurs want Posey?
    If I was the Spurs and I wanted to add to the SF position I would go after Odom. He would bring more dimensions to the team that they don't have versus Posey who would be duplication with Bowen there.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Agreed, I'd rather have Posey than either, but Bowen/Jackson do make Posey redudent from SA's perspective, and why change such similar horses with what they gave them in the playoffs--just take care of your own guys. Of course I think they should have gone for Maggette though who is much younger and already a step above all of them.

There is no reason for us to pay more than the MCE. We can always match his highest offer--I'd say 90% chance the highest offer he could possibly get would be a 5 year/28 mil MCE deal. I'd let Posey know he can have a 6 year 30 mil deal off the bat if he doesn't sign someone else qualifying sheet--that way his initial salary is lower.

17. RosusuTheGreat

Posey gave me his headband after a game once, it was sweaty.

18. thumbs

Deuce and Desert Scar: The Spurs are looking at Pippen and Sprewell. If they are considering Pippen and Spree, they are absolutely looking at Posey. And, much to the credit of the Spurs organization, they are mum about who they really are after.

#18 thumbs, Jul 18, 2003
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spree isn't a FA. And NY is always involved in all sorts of rumors. Spree and Popovich together is a terrible match.

As for Pippen, he makes sense for them from the veteran standpoint of a team coming off of a championship.

IMO, Posey is definitely a Riley type player. Thankfully, Miami already has two Butlers and Eddie Jones on the wing, plus Dwayne Wade is really a 2 as well.
    I do find it kind of odd that Bartelstein is saying we're in the red zone regarding lux tax, when we have some breathing room to go. Obviously, he has no reason to lie about that as we can match any offer for Posey, and Chicago can only throw out the MCE. Especially since we're heading to a new arena, have a pretty good need for Posey, and even have instant lux tax relief if we so choose by holding on to Rice. Kinda makes me think we have something brewing either with the MCE, or trading Rice's contract that potentially strains our luxury tax status.
    Posey should not be looking to get more than the offer sheet Maggette signed with Utah (6 yrs, 45 mill). Maggette is younger, and better. Artest got the 6 years, 42 mill. I'd say Posey shoud get 6 years, 35-40 mill.

20. thumbs

Nikestrad: Buck Harvey on the front page of the Sports Section of the S.A. Express-News has a story on why Pop likes and wants Spree but N.Y. wants too much for him. Here is the link:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/.