1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much should it be to fix a tablet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, May 19, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have a Nexus 7 (32 gb) with a cracked screen. It still works, except the area of the screen on the small-side of the crack isn't responsive. I took it to a place and they said they could fix it for $150. Is that the going rate? I said no, but now I have to consider my options:

* I can pay $150 and fix my tablet. I won't have to do anything to preserve or move my stuff.

* I can buy a new one for ~ $230. Has the additional benefit of a fresh battery (which I think costs around $50 to replace in my old one). The drawback is having to move my stuff over (I expect all the music will take awhile). And what do I do with my current broken one?

* I can buy a second hand one for ~ $120 -- that's roughly what I see on ebay. Cheapest option, but I have to move my stuff, and take the risk that it has problems, a dying battery, or whatever.

* I can forget tablets and finally get a real smartphone for I don't know how much. Obviously, a smartphone would be useful, but can it wholly replace my reliance on the tablet?

2. TheresTheDagger

Before you do anything, do what my buddy did when he had the same problem on his daughter's laptop.

He found a video online of how to replace the screen, ordered the replacement screen, did it himself all at a cost of like $40 total vs. the quoted price of $175 to fix it at Fry's.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This stuff is disposable these days. They're charging you for the part ~75 and labor ~75. Not bad, really.

You could probably fix it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. Or sell it busted for ~50 to recoup some cost of the ~120 it's going to cost to buy the used one.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Google "nexus 7 replacement screen"

Purchase.

Youtube "Replace screen Nexus 7"

Fix.

Or take it to a place on Harwin that will probably do it on the cheap.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hmmm, worst-case scenario is a $40 failed repair plus $120 to buy another one used -- that only $10 premium for the potential upside. That doesn't sound too bad.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A refurb usually goes for $170 on eBay from trusted sellers.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd sell it as is and buy a new one.

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

what this guy said. unless you do it yourself, don't get it repaired by a third party. wait until google i/o in one month and see how much rumored nexus 8 (possibly by htc) is. if the nexus program cancellation extends to tablets also, then fix it yourself.

no need on spending dough on someone else to repair if the cost is almost equal to that of the tablet anyway.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm fixing mine for $160.

Yes, it's the going rate

10. HPD

HPD Member

Go 2 Harwin look 4 the indian guy near Regency Square tell him i sent u

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

if you don't want to fix it yourself, then get a refurbished one of the same product for $170, if you want new, Micro Center has them on sale for $199 every so often

12. Mr. Clutch

Tell him the Houston Police Department sent me?

13. HPD

HPD Member

Sorry tell him John sent u.....

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Expensive tablets? Get insurance (USAA, Sam's Club and Costco are all great). Cheap tablet? Simply replace when broken.

They aren't made to be repaired, and if you take them to "repair shops" they'll do a crappy job and you'll never have "factory feel" again. Most cause more trouble than they fix.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Nexus 8 is due in July. I am waiting until then to buy a Nexus 7...

16. Mr. Clutch

Really? I shouldve waited.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm going to jump in here to ask about tablets and word processing...i know this was an issue early on, but with so many options now, would it be wise to buy a tablet and keyboard to type up word documents, like high school work, for example?

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Word of caution for DIYers...if you're an impatient guy who doesn't have precision or hand eye coordination, I'd advise against replacing the screen yourself with a blowdryer.

I got cocky with my Samsung 3, and totally botched the job. Not only did my knife touch the LCD itself and put a tear in it (ruined), when I put the replacement screen back, there were terrible gaps of air in between the lcd and the glass.

Those videos are done on phones that have had the screen replaced time after time and isn't a "first time" replacement like what you'd normally be doing.

Good thing I had insurance..

19. Mr. Clutch

No way, need a keyboard IMO.

I'll edit documents but that's about it.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I wrote, a tablet plus a keyboard. As long as the tablet comes with a word software, then it should be ok? There shouldn't be a problem transferring and opening documents on a computer, right?