1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much of this is Adelman's fault for poor distribution of minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eyhab27, Jan 13, 2009.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

I posted this in another thread and felt that it deserved its own thread.

i think this is all effing bullsh!t. Typically, when a player comes back from injury, especially an offseason knee surgery and on top of that has been having problems from day one of the season, you start the guy off the bench and with limited minutes. Adelman seems a bit too excited to throw tmac, artest, and battier immediately into the starting line-up with serious minutes. I think they are all set-up for failure.

Look what happened, all three went in and out of the line-up. A lot of this has to fall on the coach to diagnose whether or not the player is in game shape to handle the minutes they are given. What happens when you push yourself when you are out of shape? YOU GET HURT. I think all of you who play any type of competitive sport know this.

Steve Francis wanted to play every game that he was suited up for after coming back from injury. He did not play. What was the reasoning? He was not conditioned, and other players who were at practice and playing everyday deserved the playing time ahead of him. I think the same should be done with all players, and usually is on other teams.

Adelman set tmac, artest, and battier up for failure. I think this is on the coach to sit a player who is not ready for excessive PT.

flame away.

2. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I don't think T-Mac's injury is legitimate. He was evaluated by the team doc and a leading expert and both came to the conclusion that there was no structural damage.

Artest's injury is pretty minor but according to Blinebury he refused to rest it in favor of playing.

Battier pushed it too hard in rehab.

So out of the three cases I think Artest is the only legitimate one where the Rockets should probably have forced him to sit. Then again, they probably scored a few needed wins because he didn't.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing I can really blame on Adelman is the fact that he is running the team too loose. He should of addressed certain issues long before now.

4. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Ya ok lets blame Adleman for people being injured. Put the crack pipe down.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I don't know about that.

You get what you paid for...or should that be, you get what you knee-jerkedly fired.

Coach is who he is. I'm absolutely positive he trying to juggle a whole lot more balls than he intended.

Christ, blaming Coach is like blaming me for my effort because my boss can't afford a mac.

6. worzel gummidge

Adelman isn't the team doctor. Players coming back from injury have to pass a fitness test.

This is the latest post Doc Rocket.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4156957&postcount=406

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I have a question...
    Why do people like you and badgerfan constantly bring up the word of "Doc Rocket" like he's some sort of God or something??
    <br>
    Nothing he has said has been deemed true yet...
    So why do you believe everything he says??

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Doc Rocket's some kind of insider with the Rockets organization. I haven't been around that long so I don't know the details but all of the old timers here know who he is and believe him to be legit.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Correctomundo.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

yep yep !

DD

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

and yep!

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Adelman is not the team doctor. McGrady was not physically unfit to play, medically.

HOWEVER.

Adelman continued to play McGrady despite seeing him dog it in practices and in games. It is on him that he catered to the excuses and kept trotting him out there. It is on him that he did not yank McGrady from games or send him to "rehab" much sooner.

Adelman similarly watched Artest break off of plays and shurg off the game plan over and over without yanking him or controlling the situation.

He's allowed the team to bury his motion offense.

He's failed to implement a different offense that better fits the team and its personality.

He's a good mind, but a limp leader.

Yes, he does deserve a good sized piece of the blame pie.

13. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I'm going to have to throw off my disguise and reveal my true colors. I am this board's only resident Adelman Only Fan. I was a huge Kings fan, I love the motion offense and I think it's beautiful, pure basketball. I only joined this board after Adelman joined the Rockets organization.

One other thing I really, really like about Adelman is that he's a players coach. Doesn't that approach make the most sense? Think back to the Latrell Sprewell incident, where he choked out P.J. Carlesimo. What triggered that? Carlesimo yelled at Sprewell to get his ass in gear in practice. One of the talking heads, I forget who, pointed out how weird the situation was: you've got NBA players, grown men worth millions of dollars, being yelled at like they were high school or college kids.

Adelman trusts his players. I think you get great things back out of that coaching philosophy in the right situation. His approach works and that's been proven--in Portland and in Sac Town. It works now with 90% of the Rockets. But Adelman's approach to coaching only works if the players are mature enough to be trusted. And if any of the players aren't mature enough to be trusted and if they can't be controlled by the other players on the team, ship them out.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

that post by badgerfan really explains a lot about his McGrady hate..

15. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

It doesn't matter who the player is or how much he makes--he's still just a player and not the coach. The coach calls the shots and sets the direction for the team.

If T-Mac isn't willing to knuckle under and follow Adelman's directions then he should be shipped out.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hate it when people talk about hate, it usually means they have lost their argument. No one hates Tmac, we just expect him to get with the program. If he committed to running the read and react, he would be much more efficient as an offensive player. Rick Adelman is a great coach he should not have to hold 30 year old men's hands.

However, he should have benched Tmac and Artest a long time ago. Be clear with what is expected to get playing time but never let it get this far out of hand.

DD

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

totally disagree..
    <br>
    This team was built around McGrady and Yao. In that order, because no matter what happens, this is Tracy's team, and it will only go as far as he does (for now). Adelman was brought in to support the two players.
    <br>
    This isn't the coach's team. The situation here is not one in which we have a long standing coach, so the organization gets him players for his style. There is no Greg Poppovich, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley, Rudy T, etc..
    <br>
    The way this team was designed in 2007, we needed a coach (happened to be Adelman) to come in and enhance the play (mostly offensively) of McGrady and Yao. Therefore, when we hired him, his claim was to lighten the load on our two star players while increasing their production by getting them easier shots.
    <br>
    So far, he has lived up to none of that. I don't care what anyone says, this team is based on the superstar play of:
    1. Tracy McGrady
    2. Yao Ming

If Adelman cannot do that, he has failed his job description. Additionally, he never could implement the free flowing offense that he wanted to instill here, because BOTH our superstars were uncomfortable playing that way. So, he reverted back to running simple NBA coaching plays. However he has not been great at that either. Obviously, because it is not his style, thus Rick Adelman is coaching outside of his system. Alongside that, the rock solid defense of JVG has started to crumble due to time. When you equate all of this, you realize that Adelman has not been able to do what we needed at the time of his hiring.
    <br>
    This is not about Tracy, or even Yao "playing within Adelman's system". This is about Adelman having enough skill/experience as a coach to utilize a system that best uses the talents of our star players.
    <br>
    Therefore, I conclude that YES, this is at least 50% Rick Adelman's fault.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Agree with that

19. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Adelman's never made it a secret that he intended to implement his motion offense in Houston. Why would that surprise anyone? Did he ever say that he was planning not to? Nope, in fact he talked at length about his plans for the Rockets' offense.

Bottom line: you can't have more than one guy at the top. The coach is the ultimate leader and you can't have one player out there doing his own thing and screwing up the rest of the team. Maybe Adelman's not the right coach for the Rockets. That's irrelevant. As long as he's the coach his word goes. If T-Mac's not willing to follow orders he should be shipped out and if the Rockets can't ship him out he should be benched.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Did I say that would surprise anyone?
    <br>
    I don't think he was ever the right guy for this team. IIRC Morey didn't even want to hire him, this was all Les Alexander's doing.
    <br>
    Again, the purpose of him bringing his "offense" here was to emphasize the strengths of T-Mac and Yao. Instead, it negated their strengths, and he reverted back to a simplistic offense.
    <br>
    <br>
    It is Ironic that you say Adelman is not the right coach for the Rockets, yet McGrady should be the one to leave. :rolleyes:
    <br>
    Don't start this crap about T-Mac not willing to follow orders. The guy leads the team in assists. How would he be able to do that if he wasn't playing within the "read and react" offense??
    <br>
    LOL and it is extremely laughable to state that "the coach's word goes". As if it is the law of the land or something. Tell that to Kobe, AI, VC, etc..
    <br>
    Look, Im not trying to defend tracy or anything, if T-Mac deserves to be benched, so be it. However, please stop treating Adelman as if he is untouchable and he has done so much for this team. He can't even do the simple job of coaching to the strengths of his stars...