1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Many Of You Guys Miss Kubiak?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Dec 23, 2019.

1. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Just saying in my opinion Kubiak was inferior as Texans head coach to BOB, in my opinion.

Kubiak - 8 seasons, 2X division champ once Peyton was done in Indy. One 2nd place finish. Five seasons bottom half of division. Never won @ Indy even vs Dan Orlovsky.

BOB - 6 seasons, 4X division champ. Double digit wins this season despite bottom half defense.

I get as infuriated with BOB’s clock management as anyone, and sometimes terrible play calling. It amazes me in general how bad so many coaches are with something as remedial as clock management, but a LOT of NFL coaches aren’t great in that department.

Would you be surprised to hear entering week 16 the Texans led the NFL with the least amount of three-and-outs at 16? I was, but it was true. Not sure after TB game as that was just bad all around on offense. Equal parts coaching and player execution. Watson wasn’t good that game.

TheFreak and raining threes like this.
  2. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Yet BOB won as many divisions with Hoyer/Mallett/Brock combo as Kubiak won in his eight seasons.

I agree with Kubiak better offensive coach, BOB better head coach. Also agree, Watson would excel in a Kubiak bootleg system. It’d be fun to see him running it with a RB of Foster’s ability too.

3. raining threes

I dont miss Kubiak's conservative ways.

Great man though

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kubiak’s offense was very well suited for the regular season, but one dimensional (run to setup the pass). In the playoffs versus better defenses, his offense struggled when the opposing team could seriously game plan against it.

OBie’s offense is better suited for the playoffs, since it is more multidimensional and allows more options to game plan against the opposing defense. OBie finally has a top tier QB, so we will see if he can game plan playoff wins with his offense.

BTW I think OBie grades out as a top 5-10 HC. He will need a little luck to get to the Super Bowl and even more luck to win it.

IDIOT:
    If you look at the AFC playoffs, Patriots and Ravens are the top tier teams. The next tier has the Texans, Bills and Chiefs. It is hard to imagine the Texans going through all of those teams to get to the Super Bowl.

Last year, the Texans OL and DBs could easily be game planned against. This year, the OL and DBs are better (maybe league average) but their pass rush has taken a step back. They are a stronger team but still can be game planned against.

The only AFC team that has decided advantage is the Ravens and their offense, which would be extremely difficult for any team to game plan against. It is what it is.

The Texans would have to have better talent on their roster to even be close to beating the Ravens. The Texans need to draft and develop better. We will see.

#64 No Worries, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    csj likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Eh, kubiak is a good coach and O'Brien is a bad one.

Kubiak came into an expansion franchise. He built it up to a true contender. Schaub doesn't get hurt, that team wins the Super Bowl. Book it.

O'Brien comes into a top 10 OL and top 10 defense. All we need is a QB which was supposedly his specialty. 6 years in and the offense still sucks and we know how he's mortgaged the future. Endless drama with front office shakeups and players going in the doghouse too.

Meanwhile kubiak goes on to win a super bowl as hc then build elite offenses as OC in Baltimore and Minnesota with subpar talent.

I think it's obvious who is better that can't be captured by just looking at W-L.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not excited by either one. Both mediocre coaches. Texans have never had an A+ coaching staff.

raining threes likes this.
  7. No Worries

which had just went 2-14.

TheFreak and raining threes like this.
  8. rugg31

rugg31 Member

The bias here is glaring. As mentioned BOB took over a team who had lost 14 games in a row and a defense who’d given up 26.75 points a game the previous season. Definitely not a top ten defense statistically coming in.

Kubiak stepped into an elite pass rush defense in Denver, and while not a great Peyton at that point in his career, still Peyton nonetheless. His second season in Denver he finished 3rd place in the west and missed the playoffs.

Minnesota’s elite offense which is 13th in yards per game behind BOB’s “sucky” Texans’ offense at 11th? And averages a whopping 1.6 more points a game than the Texans. In Baltimore as OC he went 10-6 but only scored a whopping 13 points against the Texans defense that season.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Curious
    How do you rank your coaches? BoB as your top 5-10 is quite high for a man whos best achievement so far is winning the afc south division title.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

The top 3 offenses (per league ranking) in franchise history happened with Kubiak. Schaub still holds the franchise record for TD passes in a season. This shouldn't be the case after two full seasons of Deshaun.*

And I don't want to hear anything about the offensive line. Duane Brown was the only 1st rounder on the line with Briesel (undrafted), Winston (3rd), Smith (3rd), and Myers (6th). Now the Texans have 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders. No excuses. This offense needs to be better.

*Note: Deshaun needs 4 TDs to tie the record.

11. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Just because it’s Deshaun’s second full season he should automatically break Schaub’s season passing TD record of 29? That was Schaub’s sixth NFL season, third as Texans starter. Schaub also had zero rushing TD. Deshaun has 26 passing TD thru 15 games, an additional 7 rushing TD, and one receiving TD for 34 total combined. Both the 2009 and 2019 team average 24.3 points per game. Note, he needs 3 passing TD to tie the record, not four.

In 583 pass attempts (one passing TD every 20.1 passes) in 2009 Schaub was sacked 25 times. In 495 pass attempts (one passing TD every 19 passes) this season Deshaun has been sacked 44 times so far. Sure, the Texans have higher draft picks on the o-line currently, but two of them are rookies this season and the other 1st rounder joined the team the week of the 1st regular season game.

Deshaun’s 2019 season is superior to Matt Schaub’s 2009 season.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kubiak offenses were usually in the top 10. Obrien's bottom 10.

Kubiak with Carr was better offense than O'Brien with Watson.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

11th this season
    12th last season

2013 31st

Merry Christmas

TheFreak and No Worries like this.
  14. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Kubiak with Carr in 2006 - 28th ranked offense

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lol Are you really truly trying to argue about Schaub vs Deshaun? Of course Deshaun is better. My point is for the talent the team had, Kubiak's did more with less.

2009 rank: 10/4
    2010 rank: 9/3
    2012 rank: 8/7

2018 rank: 11/15
    2019 rank: 11/11

16. No Worries

Why do you discount OBie’s win-lose record?

Why do you discount OBie making the playoffs 4 of his 6 years?

For me, making the playoffs consistently is a reasonable criteria for ranking NFL coaches. Only 12 of the 32 teams/coaches make the playoffs each year. Consistently making the playoffs should put the HC in the top 10 or so in rankings.

I prefer the Colts HC Frank Reich over OBie. But this year the Colts have more talent than OBie’s first two playoff teams and will miss the playoffs. Thus, I must be a OBie hater. Amirite?

TheFreak, raining threes and pgabriel like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk i rank the coaches on how far they do in playoffs, to me it takes skills to go far. BoB has yet to make any progress in playoffs, beside getting eliminated.

18. rugg31

rugg31 Member

You brought up Schaub and made it seem if Deshaun isn’t breaking his team season record for passing TD’s then his season isn’t very good. The stats do show Kubiak put up inefficient scoring compared to yards rankings. In yards he’s definitely been more productive than BOB to date, but scoring only a few spots above.

You honestly believe the skill position talent is better today than having prime Arian and Dre? That’s largely debatable. Hopkins I’d put right there with Andre, but Kubiak having Foster is a huge advantage to me. With Fuller’s lack of ability to stay healthy I see no advantage in the current roster.

I know you argued the o-line, but just because players were drafted higher doesn’t automatically make them better. The stats say Kubiak’s o-lines were superior. Hopefully with more experience and time together we’ll see o-line play next season on par with the Kubiak era.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

This. BOB keeps his team together on the same page. He is disciplined and focused. He is not a good play caller or in game decision maker.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kubiak should have been fired before the extension. B.O.B actually reminds me of Gary in a lot of ways. These guys play not to lose and have been enabled by incompetent ownership. Good Ole Boys Network