1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how many of you are true rocket fans???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsball2003, Feb 25, 2003.

1. drew622

drew622 New Member

I'm a fan from way back.....who can say they saw the Rockets play at Hofienz Pavillion, before they built the Summit, aka Compaq Center. I was there to see "E", Moses, Murphy and even saw Bill Walton play, he was sporting the pony tail and beard back then.

I also lived near Rudy T in his early years, I'd see him riding his 10-speed bike to Taco Bell, over in Westbury. After which he move off of W.Belfort. My buddy used to cut his lawn.

Anyway, I'll always love the Rockets, thru thick and thin!!!

2. ccc

ccc Member

GIVE ME A F*king BREAK!

what is a true fan?

you must love rox from the first day of the franchise, otherwise you go away from rox!

your loving for rox must stem from your greatgreatgreatgrandgrandgrand fanther, and they never liked other single franchise!

your must attend every single rox game, road or home, I dont care you steal money or what !

YOU MUST NOT like a player!!

you will disqualify if you like rox because of Dream!

YOU MUST LOVE rox for NO REASON! no, zero, otherwise you are a dream Bgwer, a champ Bgwer, a good team Bgwer! oh, tell me you are living in houston and you are a true fan beause of it, and you d love to see the whole world outside houston hate rox.

Tell me you are a true fan! then tell me what else fan you are!

3. winwook

winwook Member

I'm willing to admit my interest in the Rockets comes from Yao Ming. Because the Rockets haven't made the playoffs the last few years, I hadn't seen any of their games until this year, though I watch tons of other basketball games, mostly Lakers and playoff games.

That being said, me and my friends, who have never seen the Rockets play before, all agree that they are a very difficult team to watch and root for because of their style of play. Even their wins are often exercises in frustration and futility. I think even other team's broadcasters notice this. I hate to say it, but the Rockets usually play really ugly basketball.

That would be okay if they sucked and didn't have any talent, but everyone knows they have tons of talent. If they played smart, they would go deep into the playoffs, even in the Western Conference.

4. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

You've forgotten something in that equation. The rockets don't win consistently in either case. At this point the rockets fate rests in how well the guards play, and how EFFICIENT yao is.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

well...now I can see the names of users now that dont care for the team. I now know which threads if started by them not to read.

6. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I became a Rockets/basketball fan when I heard about Hakeem Olajuwon and has stayed a fan ever since. I am from the Bahamas and so i have to watch all the games on Directv. Hakeem is still my favourite player ever but I will always be a Rockets fan. Go Rockets!!!!!!!!

7. choujie

choujie Member

"True Rockets fan" or "Bandwagon fan", Does that really matter?

Do you mean "True Rockets fan" deserve to see ugly games no matter what?

I believe all the fans want Rox to win, Bandwagon or not.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm strictly a bandwagon fan. I admit I jumped on the bandwagon only after the Rockets moved here from San Diego. I'm still a little PO'ed they traded Moses Malone, but I'll get over it...

9. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

That is the reason I don't think there are many true Rockets fans in Houston.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its not how you became a rockets fan that makes a person a bandwagon fan, it how you react when we totally suck. In other words, if Yao Ming and Francis ran into each other on some freak play that ended their careers, would you still be a rockets fan and come to the bbs.

I've been a fan since the Moses days, and rooted for Buck Johnson, Derrick Chevious, World B Free, and Matt Maloney even though they all sucked butt.

True rocket fans are happy when Cat or Posey have a good game, not get pissed because they were wrong about them.

11. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Does anyone know what a fan is? A FANatic, that means that you do see shortcomings. I'm a "bandwagon fan" admittedly, because I don't swear that the rockets are Championship bound. Hell they're an average to good team and nothing more. I'm not a cheerleader, and I won't support the team if I feel they are going in the wrong direction. I haven't bought a rockets jersey since we got pippen not because I don't like the team, but because I feel the team is going in the wrong direction. I'm considering pickin up 2 this year because teh rockets made giant steps in picking up yao. I may hang a Yao and Francis jersey in my son's room. But then again maybe I don't deserve to because I didn't buy their jersys when they wer down

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Actually its because most seats shown on television cost over $100 dollars a piece and are owned by rich season ticket holders who dont' bother to show up. Alot of those season ticket holders aren't die hard fans. They just happen to be rick

For example, I have a friend who's parent have had season tickets forever given to them by the father's company. The mother is a die hard fan and the only reason his father shows up is because of the mother. He usually reads the paper while they're there. There is even a shot of him reading the paper in one of the videos after we won our first championship reading the paper.

Imagine a guy who has tickets that cost almost $5000 US dollars, and he goes there to read the paper.

13. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

definitely a true rockets fan. as i am with the astros and texans.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hear you, man. Hell, I was even EXCITED when we drafted Steve Harris out of Tulsa! He was like Derrick Chevious...without the band-aid.

15. enfuegos

enfuegos Member

I'm not sure what kind of fan I am. I know I'm a fan of the "big man" and the "inside-out" offense. Of course, the Rockets of the 80's and 90's influenced this quite a bit. I admit I really haven't been watching the Rockets the last couple of years due to the guard oriented style of play. I found it incredibly boring to watch. I guess that's what happens when you get spoiled by watching the best center in the league while growing up. That being said, once the Rockets lost Hakeem I didn't trade teams and find another big man to attach to, but instead stopped watching the NBA. I should get some points for that huh?

Yao has brought me back to watching the Rockets, but I'm not just a fan of Yao. If Yao was picked up by another team, I probably wouldn't even pay attention to him.
    I enjoy watching the ball flow through the big man. But I'm also realistic. For example, last night Yao didn't get the ball that much because of the good zone defense by the Celtics. It was obvious that the Celtics were making a concerted effort to keep the offense from flowing through Yao. Even though I am a fan of the “big man” I’m not going to bash our guards for stepping up and taking the opportunities that the Celtics gave them.

So, I guess I’m a true fan of the Rockets whenever they have a quality big man in the middle. Does that make me a bandwagoner?
    :confused:

16. rocketsball2003

that is a big point im trying to make... i know the rockets needs all fans from around the world.. i like that... and i would like for everyone to know houston have a good team and if you are yao fans more than rocket fansits cool but the next 10-15 years might change that cuz the big fella aint going noplace.

and to say i hate bandwagoners is a lie.. i love em as long as they are on the rocket wagon;) but i really started this thread for one reason... to have a better idea why some people say what they say.

17. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

I consider myself not only a "true" fan, but also a "hardcore" fan. To me, this means that I live and die (emotionally) in direct correlation to the Rockets wins and losses...(I recover as soon as the next game begins...)

Yes, I do my share of b****ing (mostly during their 4 and 10 streak), and I don't mind sharing my opinion about things the team can do to improve, or things they did/do to bring about a loss.

On the other hand, I also give credit where credit is do IMHO, and try to be as generous with praise as I am with criticism.

Some on this board think that the above = "fairweather." It doesn't.

I have been a SERIOUS Rockets fan since 1986, and I still hoop (even though my vertical has gone from a 2" to about a 1/2"). So, I also try to apply some of the same things on the court that I see at the games and I am just as critical of myself as a player as I am of any Rocket.

I absolutely love the Rockets and my love affair was given new life with the addition of Yao Ming. I think the guy will wind up being an even better Ambassador for the NBA, the city of Houston, and the Rockets than Dream was. And, I truly believe that Yao Ming will be a Rocket for his entire career and will help deliver some championships to the city before it's all said and done!!

:D :D :D

18. carayip

carayip Member

This is so true. I don't believe that there are many neutrals (or you might call them bangwagoners) who like to watch Rockets play especially after Dream and before Yao. The likes of Kings and Mavs are easily more exciting teams even we have to admit that.

19. haven

haven Member

I like watching them regardless of their style of play. It's especially frusterating when they lose though.

The Rockets have players who can do some pretty neat things. Last year was probably the hardest year ever for me as far as the Rockets go. They sucked, they played ugly, and for about half the year... they lacked a real star. And even w/o a star... they didn't play team basketball.

I still loved 'em... but this year is much more fun.

20. MONON

MONON Member

I became a Rockets fan, because when I moved here from Indiana in 74, the Rockets were the only NBA team in town! What choice did I have?!?;)