1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many more games would the Texans have won in 2010 if Dunta had played for them?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 26, 2011.

?

How many more games would the Texans have won?

1. -2 (worse)

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. -1 (worse)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 0 (same

23 vote(s)
    27.7%
  4. 1 (better)

23 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. 2

20 vote(s)
    24.1%
  6. 3

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. 4

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Like the thread title says.

No elaborate detailing of stats here, but I have provided 6 statistics to help us out in comparing Dunta's impact on the Falcons and Dunta's absence impact on the Texans:

• Falcons went from 16th (2009) to 4th (2010) in interceptions in the NFL
    • Falcons went from 28th (2009) to 22nd (2010) in passing yards allowed
    • Falcons went from 20th (2009) to 13th (2010) in touchdowns allowed

• Texans went from 20th (2009) to 23rd (2010) in interceptions in the NFL
    • Texans went from 18th (2009) to 32nd (2010) in passing yards allowed
    • Texans went from 10th (2009) to 31st (2010) in touchdowns allowed

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'd say maybe 1 game (Jax or maybe the jets...i think he makes one of those plays), but you forgot to provide Dunta's stat...1 Int and 7 Pdefs. Not that great.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We missed Cushing and Brown to suspensions. Meco and Mario were hurt. AJ played with a sore ankle all season. I don't count the Jags finale as a win so I say 1 to 2 max.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1-2 sounds right. He might have saved Kareem Jackson post-traumatic stress though.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

2, NYJ and Jacksonville come to mind.

Possibly 3 if you add Baltimore.

Either way, still sittin' at home watching the playoffs. :(

6. msn

msn Member

I voted zero. You can't fix moronic coaching with talent. Especially talent that's not known for good pass defense.

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

If he helps us, it's not enough to go to the playoffs, so all he would've done is lost us Watt.

8. conquistador#11

I think Dunta and reeves, i.e less Kjax, get you to 9-7 again, with no changes in the coaching staff.

now that 2010 is way behind us, I'm glad things happened the way they did. It took that debacle for them to finally get a real scheme that can confuse other QBs.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

FIFY.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dunta may have been mediocre, but mediocre would have been 100x better than anything we had on the field.

We replaced Dunta with the worst CB in NFL history and the results speak for themselves.

11. emjohn

Quin is better than Dunta at this point.

Yes, Dunta/Quin would have been more effective than Quin/Fell Down

But doesn't change that Pollard was abysmal in coverage
    Doesn't change that Wilson had the range and hands of my grandmother, or that Kubiak refused to sit him for Nolan
    Doesn't prevent Ryans injury
    Doesn't change Bush/Gibbs incompetence with schemes (Jets game)
    Doesn't make our DTs any less pitiful
    Doesn't heal Johnson's ankle
    Doesn't get OD back to 100%

Maybe a Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed could, but Dunta wasn't going to save anything. He spend the entire year prior getting juked and joked by #1 WRs game in and game out.

But what's done is done, and the secondary we have today is worlds better than what we would have had last year even with Dunta.

12. lean

lean Member

Pretty much sums it up. Maybe we get an extra win or two with Dunta instead of Kareem Pie Jackson but it wouldn't have been enough to make the playoffs.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Dunta? Oh you mean that guy who was too busy celebrating a defended pass that he didn't get back in position in time and Peyton Manning blew him up for a big play?

Gibbs and Bush don't run a tight ship, and they had a knack for coaching down talent. Not to mention a fondness of vanilla defense, which has a knack for exposing bad corners (which Dunta would've been if he stuck around).

1 person likes this.
  14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I would say 1-2 just because anything is better than Kareem Jackson.

Also its was a blessing in disguise, if Dunta was here, maybe they dont fire Frank Bush, if Dunta was here, we cant get Manning AND Joseph.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We couldn't have gotten Watt and Reed either.

16. msn

msn Member

this, this, this.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is straight up homer talk. Quin is not very good at CB. If we had daunta we would have most likely been 9-7.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You know thats not true.

19. msn

msn Member

You may know that's not true, but I'm not so sure. Bush's uncreative, "vanilla" (for lack of a better word) scheming, and inability to keep up with other coaches' adjustments, caught up with him last year. And what was perhaps the most incompetent secondary coach in NFL history. One extra corner -- who (admit it) doesn't cover the pass well -- wouldn't have fixed that. Not even, IMO, enough for one extra victory. They still would've thrown at FallDown Jackson all day, and Bush/Gibbs still would have been too stupid to adjust.

20. emjohn

That's your impression, and I guarantee you have absolutely nothing to back it up with.

Quin shouldn't have been a #1 CB last year (he's a very good #2), but Dunta was a bad joke pretending to still be one his final year in Houston, resorting to grabbing receivers from behind and taking the PI calls because he couldn't stay with them. Watch the Bengals game again for a laugh.

Last year GQ had 14 pass deflections and 3 INTs despite the fact that teams were feasting on Jackson/Pollard all game. Go check and see when the last time was that Robinson notched either one of those numbers in a season.

Pre-injury, Dunta was looking like he was going to be a possible Pro Bowler for us. But that injury has altered his career. He's a good hard hitter, but he's weak as an actual DB in coverage.